Do you need a certain quality of equipment to be a professional?

12 years 10 months ago #96613 by Maria21

Henry Peach wrote:

photobod wrote: I have done a wedding with a D70s, the couple were more than happy with there photos, no one at the wedding came up to me and said "why havent you got a pro camera then". I now have a D300, which I got because it was better in low light situations, and soon I am moving up to a D700, all for the reasons Stealthy Ninja has eloquently highlighted. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I've probably already told my story of a wedding guest chastising me for using a no name Swedish camera (Hasselblad) when everyone knows "pros use Canon!" :toocrazy:

:rofl: :rofl: Too funny. What was I aiming for then?

Zerfing's Photographic Imaging
12 years 10 months ago #96635 by Baydream
The only piece of quality equipment you need to be a professional in the "nut" holding the camera. :toocrazy:

Shoot, learn and share. It will make you a better photographer.
fineartamerica.com/profiles/john-g-schickler.html?tab=artwork

Photo Comments
12 years 10 months ago #96651 by Maria21
Well maybe it's a good thing that I'm a squirrel hold a Canon then..

Zerfing's Photographic Imaging
12 years 10 months ago #96675 by mj~shutterbugg

Rob pix4u2 wrote: MJ you turn out some beautiful work that shows your obvious talent regardless of the camera you used to produce it

THANK YOU ROB! I appreciate that, it is a great compliment. Yet I don't touch the video capabilities of the 5D; and I am slowly learning what I can do with it and my lenses. I have taken some amazing shots with film, the 10D and the 5D- just depends on my light and my surroundings. I think the camera doesn't make the artist or professional but it surely doesn't hurt.

Think Off-Center ~ George Carlin
www.mjbrennanphoto.com

12 years 10 months ago #96681 by chasrich
My PT messenger bag should be here soon. THAT will make me a professional! So there... :P

“Amateurs worry about equipment, professionals worry about money, masters worry about light, I just make pictures… ” ~ Vernon Trent
12 years 10 months ago #96923 by No Show
I love this question, however I'm going to take the high road on this one :rofl:

D300| Nikkor 24-70mm 2.8 | Nikkor 70-200mm VR 2.8 | Nikkor 50mm 1.8 | Nikon 2x Teleconverter | Sigma 105mm 2.8 | Tokina 12-24
Photo Comments
12 years 10 months ago #96925 by chasrich

No Show wrote: I love this question, however I'm going to take the high road on this one :rofl:

Exactly what is it you are smoking? :woohoo:

“Amateurs worry about equipment, professionals worry about money, masters worry about light, I just make pictures… ” ~ Vernon Trent
12 years 10 months ago #96961 by TheNissanMan

Grind 4 wrote: Lets say you have a Canon XT 350D, or a Nikon D70, and do strobist-style shots, and your whole setup was under a grand.

Does that make you less entitled to charge normal price for your work? I am mostly thinking on one hand that its about the product, not the process. But, at the same time, doesn't a photographer owe it to the person paying to use a setup which can compete with his peers and competition?

BTW, this is not about me. I just am asking a question, that's all.

Not at all, I would argue that a professional is someone who can make a living from his/her images whether it's with the best equi[pment going or a home made pin hole. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, you have people out there with the ebst equipment money can buy who hasn't got an eye for a shot and won't sell diddly or someone who can make magic from nothing...

12 years 10 months ago #97909 by Ziggy

No Show wrote: I love this question, however I'm going to take the high road on this one :rofl:

It's just to easy :rofl: :rofl:

Photo Comments
12 years 10 months ago #97919 by Johnnie
There is a young lady in my area who has been in business for 2 yrears give or take and photographs Newborns and Children. Her equipment is a Canon XTi and uses Vivitar 285's with umbrellas. She has a very good following. She works as a location photographer. She is doing very well for herself. So the question is still the same ,,,,,Do you need certain quaility of equipment to be successful (professional)?

12 years 10 months ago #98415 by No Show

chasrich wrote:

Exactly what is it you are smoking? :woohoo:

Not that high road! :rofl: :rofl:

D300| Nikkor 24-70mm 2.8 | Nikkor 70-200mm VR 2.8 | Nikkor 50mm 1.8 | Nikon 2x Teleconverter | Sigma 105mm 2.8 | Tokina 12-24
Photo Comments
12 years 10 months ago #98437 by MLKstudios
Learning photography is learning to SEE. Better gear will follow.

:)

Matthew L Kees
MLK Studios Photography School
www.MLKstudios.com
[email protected]
"Every artist, was once an amateur"

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024