Macro bellows for Nikon Cameras??

12 years 11 months ago #69309 by Hamtastic
2 questions today. :thumbsup:

1. I was told that getting a macro bellow will make macro photography much easier. I have no experience with one of these, can someone explain please.

2. When searching for a bellow the only one I have found so far has horrible reviews: www.amazon.com/Fotodiox-macro-bellows-Ni...cessories/B003EDYDVM

Can anyone recommend another one?

:cheers:

Photo Comments
12 years 11 months ago #69325 by Hamtastic
I should have checked with Adorama www.adorama.com/US%20%20%20%20439728.html

What do you think of that one?

Photo Comments
12 years 11 months ago #69337 by Screamin Scott
There are lots of bellows that you can use....Nikon stopped making them AFAIK but they are still available used (expensive though)...The most convienent way to do maco is with a true macro lens. You have the ability to alter the magnification ratio & change the composition without having to change out tubes or diopters plus you don't lose infinity focus like you do with a bellows...Bellows will let you get a lot more magnification though but they can be a bit unwieldy...

Scott Ditzel Photography

www.flickr.com/photos/screaminscott/

Photo Comments
12 years 11 months ago - 12 years 11 months ago #69391 by dang
I agree with Scott, even though I have a bellows... But if you're dead set on getting one, here's a couple of things to be aware of:

1. Just glancing at the one you linked too, it doesn't say it's "Automatic". It only states that it works with certain settings. However, even though you can still use the camera meter, it doesn't appear to couple to the aperture stop down. This means you'll be required to stop down before shooting. This isn't a big problem if you intend to shoot stationary subjects, but if you want to shoot live insects it's extremely difficult. With the aperture stopped down, you'll find focusing difficult, and at longer expansions nearly impossible.... even in bright sun light.

2. For around 1/3rd the price you could get a used Pentax manual screw-mount "twin-rail" bellows from KEH Camera, with a manual macro lens to go with it. An example is the one I have. It's a Pentax manual 50mm Macro-Takumar 1:1 lens (several versions of this lens, so be sure you it's the 1:1 version called a "Preset", and not the half life-size version unless that's enough for your needs), mounted via a simple "screw mount to bayonet mount adapter which costs around $20. or $30.00. The bellows cost around $30. and the lens less than $80.00.

Add it up, quite a bargain by comparison and the lens is great by it's self for most things. But for the price of the bellows you've selected, I'd suggest an auto-macro lens as first choice, bellows are bulky and clumsy to use.

Just my humble opinion...

Insanity: doing the same thing over, and over again expecting different results. (Albert Einstein)
www.dangphoto.weebly.com

12 years 11 months ago #69421 by Hamtastic
You guys ROCK!! Thank you for the information!

Photo Comments
12 years 11 months ago #69429 by Camp 89
Very strange looking item. According to the reviews, to the one you link, it's not a good thing to have. Best of luck to you, if you buy it.

12 years 11 months ago #69717 by Joves

Camp 89 wrote: Very strange looking item. According to the reviews, to the one you link, it's not a good thing to have. Best of luck to you, if you buy it.

Yeah I saw that as well. The Nikon PB 6 is a good bellows. As was said it is pretty much manual from what I rmember, but the beauty of that is you can use some of the older glass you cant mount on your camera. You might also look at B&H and KEH to see what they have available as well.

12 years 11 months ago #69951 by Kenya See

dang wrote: I agree with Scott, even though I have a bellows... But if you're dead set on getting one, here's a couple of things to be aware of:

1. Just glancing at the one you linked too, it doesn't say it's "Automatic". It only states that it works with certain settings. However, even though you can still use the camera meter, it doesn't appear to couple to the aperture stop down. This means you'll be required to stop down before shooting. This isn't a big problem if you intend to shoot stationary subjects, but if you want to shoot live insects it's extremely difficult. With the aperture stopped down, you'll find focusing difficult, and at longer expansions nearly impossible.... even in bright sun light.

2. For around 1/3rd the price you could get a used Pentax manual screw-mount "twin-rail" bellows from KEH Camera, with a manual macro lens to go with it. An example is the one I have. It's a Pentax manual 50mm Macro-Takumar 1:1 lens (several versions of this lens, so be sure you it's the 1:1 version called a "Preset", and not the half life-size version unless that's enough for your needs), mounted via a simple "screw mount to bayonet mount adapter which costs around $20. or $30.00. The bellows cost around $30. and the lens less than $80.00.

Add it up, quite a bargain by comparison and the lens is great by it's self for most things. But for the price of the bellows you've selected, I'd suggest an auto-macro lens as first choice, bellows are bulky and clumsy to use.

Just my humble opinion...

That looks like a cannon! I'm guessing that works better on a tripod?

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024