Watermarks.. Are they really needed?

12 years 11 months ago #70959 by jordanmcrae
I'm constantly putting an ugly watermark on all of my pictures, but strictly in fear of my photos being poached. I've tried reading up on copyright rules etc., but I keep reading contradicting statements... Even if copyright laws "protect" my pictures, who's to say they don't poach them anyway? Perhaps I should take the time to make a more "professional" looking watermark?

What are your opinions?
12 years 11 months ago #70969 by Baydream
I noticed that even "cheap" import sources like www.meritline.com use watermarks on their thumbnail photos. That said, it depends on how much you want to protect your "intellectual property". Yes, you do have an implied copyright as soon as you press the shutter release.
If posting on a web site, a low resolution version is sufficient but someone could copy that and use it on a web site. Unless you have the resources of a Getty, tracking it could be tough.
I less intrusive WM could be your answer.

Shoot, learn and share. It will make you a better photographer.
fineartamerica.com/profiles/john-g-schickler.html?tab=artwork

Photo Comments
12 years 11 months ago #70971 by chasrich
Most images that get posted are pretty low resolution. Most watermarks can be removed pretty effectively with a crop or a clone-over. Most of my photos are pretty well destroyed by my post production as well... :rofl:

I haven't worried about this myself.

“Amateurs worry about equipment, professionals worry about money, masters worry about light, I just make pictures… ” ~ Vernon Trent
12 years 11 months ago #70973 by John Landolfi
Copyright protects you only after the fact, it doesn't shield your images unless you show it. And, it needs to be registered to naximize your protection. A mark may discourage most bent on poaching, and I use them.

Photo Comments
12 years 11 months ago #71261 by robbie

chasrich wrote: Most images that get posted are pretty low resolution. Most watermarks can be removed pretty effectively with a crop or a clone-over. Most of my photos are pretty well destroyed by my post production as well... :rofl:

:agree: :agree: :agree:
I will post an image under 200kb jpg where the full image would be about 7mb,for landscapes
my images are about 20mb on the low end.A really large stitched image over 50mb.

12 years 11 months ago #71407 by Superman

chasrich wrote: Most images that get posted are pretty low resolution. Most watermarks can be removed pretty effectively with a crop or a clone-over. Most of my photos are pretty well destroyed by my post production as well... :rofl:

:agree: this is reality of how it is. I would just stick with low resolution and protect your work online.

Nikon D90 & D40 18-55mm, 55-200mm, 35mm, 50mm, 105mm, SB600
Photo Comments
12 years 11 months ago #71673 by Hawkins
LOL I don't think my work is good enough yet. Actually I would be flatter if someone used my photos for something. :rofl:

Photo Comments
12 years 11 months ago #72089 by Scuba Mike
Personally I don't watermark mine, I only upload low res photos

Photo Comments
12 years 11 months ago #72251 by Joves
Well as has been stated if someone wants your photo they will take it. So here is my list of things to do to try and stop it.
1. Low res as has been said. Granted they can up sample it but then it ruins the photo when enlarging too much.
2. If you have the option disable the right clicking function. This will stop about 90+% of people but, there are some who know how to circumvent it.
3. You can check your photo using Tineye. It will search the web for copies of your images, while not 100% it is pretty good at it. www.tineye.com/ It is free which is always good.
4. Use an Invisible Watermark yes they make them. Some programs even allow you to activate it on somebody elses site. You can make you water mark a message like, This photo stolen from Me.photo.com. Here is a shareware for Invisible WMs www.adptools.com/ I havent used it so I dont know how good it is. The best programs cost but are worth it.

On Copyrights, you have a Copyright the moment the photo is taken. But here is the rub while you have it, if you see your photo stolen, you must apply for and get a Copyright with in 30 days of discovery for it to have full protection. Copyrights are fairly inexpensive and the beauty of one for photos is you can batch Copyright them, so many are covered under the same right. Here is the Copyright Offices site www.copyright.gov/ Hope this helps.

12 years 11 months ago #72415 by John Landolfi

Joves wrote: Well as has been stated if someone wants your photo they will take it. So here is my list of things to do to try and stop it.
1. Low res as has been said. Granted they can up sample it but then it ruins the photo when enlarging too much.
2. If you have the option disable the right clicking function. This will stop about 90+% of people but, there are some who know how to circumvent it.
3. You can check your photo using Tineye. It will search the web for copies of your images, while not 100% it is pretty good at it. www.tineye.com/ It is free which is always good.
4. Use an Invisible Watermark yes they make them. Some programs even allow you to activate it on somebody elses site. You can make you water mark a message like, This photo stolen from Me.photo.com. Here is a shareware for Invisible WMs www.adptools.com/ I havent used it so I dont know how good it is. The best programs cost but are worth it.

On Copyrights, you have a Copyright the moment the photo is taken. But here is the rub while you have it, if you see your photo stolen, you must apply for and get a Copyright with in 30 days of discovery for it to have full protection. Copyrights are fairly inexpensive and the beauty of one for photos is you can batch Copyright them, so many are covered under the same right. Here is the Copyright Offices site www.copyright.gov/ Hope this helps.

:goodpost: :goodpost:

Photo Comments
12 years 11 months ago #72455 by jordanmcrae

Joves wrote: Well as has been stated if someone wants your photo they will take it. So here is my list of things to do to try and stop it.

Exactly what I was looking for, thanks! As for Tineye, I was actually looking for something like this the other day! Cheers !

Thanks to everyone else as well ! :cheers:
12 years 11 months ago #72955 by John Landolfi
Just to make the pont again, people assume that, if something is published in some venue, it is the there for the taking. I was just notified that a member of PT (!!!) has downloaded one of my photos without asking, or, perhaps, friending. I hope that he simply liked the image, and that, after my contact, he responds to me Here, at least, I have some way of reaching out to him, but the obtrusive Copyright mark may serve its purpose.

:ohmy: :ohmy: :unsure: :)

Photo Comments
12 years 11 months ago #73019 by crystal

John Landolfi wrote: Just to make the pont again, people assume that, if something is published in some venue, it is the there for the taking. I was just notified that a member of PT (!!!) has downloaded one of my photos without asking, or, perhaps, friending. I hope that he simply liked the image, and that, after my contact, he responds to me Here, at least, I have some way of reaching out to him, but the obtrusive Copyright mark may serve its purpose.

A few months ago I saw photos can be download from the album. Personally, I do not like that idea. It's one thing to Right Click, Save as ...to save the photo. But it's a whole different story when a website has a Download button to save a photo (which the photographer, may not want people to simply "download" the image)
12 years 11 months ago #73037 by photobod

crystal wrote:

John Landolfi wrote: Just to make the pont again, people assume that, if something is published in some venue, it is the there for the taking. I was just notified that a member of PT (!!!) has downloaded one of my photos without asking, or, perhaps, friending. I hope that he simply liked the image, and that, after my contact, he responds to me Here, at least, I have some way of reaching out to him, but the obtrusive Copyright mark may serve its purpose.

A few months ago I saw photos can be download from the album. Personally, I do not like that idea. It's one thing to Right Click, Save as ...to save the photo. But it's a whole different story when a website has a Download button to save a photo (which the photographer, may not want people to simply "download" the image)

Its on the facebook photos Crystal as I am sure you already know, and many other sites offer a download button too, personally I watermark my images mostly with my website address as a way of advertising, the majority of my pro work has already been paid for by a client and I cant understand why anyone would steal a picture of a complete stranger !!! or somebody elses wedding, I try not to worry to much and take the view that its a compliment to my skills.

www.dcimages.org.uk
"A good photograph is one that communicate a fact, touches the heart, leaves the viewer a changed person for having seen it. It is, in a word, effective." - Irving Penn

12 years 11 months ago #73139 by John Landolfi

crystal wrote:

:agree: At least, one should be asked.

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024