A&S mode?

12 years 11 months ago #72671 by Fallin Star
well I have been shooting in manual mode (to hopefully learn how to get the correct exposure) and never bothered with the shutter and aperture priority mode. I just used it and I was just wondering if its considered cheating (like putting it in auto mode). Also is there any downside with using these modes? thanks!

12 years 11 months ago #72677 by Ednra
When you look at a photo hanging on the wall...do you ask what mode it was taken in? Well, maybe YOU do...but most people won't.

Really, it just doesn't matter. There is little difference between shooting in manual and shooting in other modes while adjusting the EC (exposure compensation). A shot taken at F8 & 1/125 with an ISO of 100 will be the same in any mode.

12 years 11 months ago #72679 by 10099 XP
I am horrible at taking manual pictures.

12 years 11 months ago #72737 by KCook
If you are shooting under controlled lighting, these modes will let the exposure vary from shot to shot, which may be undesirable. Since "manual" mode is really "fixed exposure" mode. As a happy snapper, not a studio guy, I use A and S much more often than M.

Kelly Cook

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

12 years 11 months ago - 12 years 11 months ago #72755 by DestinDave
The only "cheating" with using any of the auto modes is possibly cheating yourself out of a potentially better photograph. Full manual - M - may give you the most control over aperture and shutter settings but Av and Tv - (A & S) - still allow some control over these settings.

While shooting a scene, if you are most concerned with motion (freezing action, soft waterfalls, etc), choose Tv (S), set a shutter speed to give you the correct action and let the camera choose the appropriate aperture for the shutter speed. You can adjust the exposure further with EV+/- as desired.

On the other hand, if you are more concerned with depth of field, choose the Av (A) setting which will give what you want and let the shutter speed vary accordingly.

All of the camera mode settings have merit and value for different situations. Many older folks who came up from the old manual-only film days may still swear by full-manual but that's strictly a personal choice. Great images are possible no matter how you set your camera - if you understand what the settings mean and what they are capable of.

Dave Speicher
I thought I wanted a career.. turns out I only wanted paychecks.
dlspeicher.zenfolio.com

12 years 11 months ago #72789 by John Landolfi

DestinDave wrote: The only "cheating" with using any of the auto modes is possibly cheating yourself out of a potentially better photograph. Full manual - M - may give you the most control over aperture and shutter settings but Av and Tv - (A & S) - still allow some control over these settings.

While shooting a scene, if you are most concerned with motion (freezing action, soft waterfalls, etc), choose Tv (S), set a shutter speed to give you the correct action and let the camera choose the appropriate aperture for the shutter speed. You can adjust the exposure further with EV+/- as desired.

On the other hand, if you are more concerned with depth of field, choose the Av (A) setting which will give what you want and let the shutter speed vary accordingly.

All of the camera mode settings have merit and value for different situations. Many older folks who came up from the old manual-only film days may still swear by full-manual but that's strictly a personal choice. Great images are possible no matter how you set your camera - if you understand what the settings mean and what they are capable of.

:agree: :goodpost:

Photo Comments
12 years 11 months ago #72799 by Baydream

KCook wrote: If you are shooting under controlled lighting, these modes will let the exposure vary from shot to shot, which may be undesirable. Since "manual" mode is really "fixed exposure" mode. As a happy snapper, not a studio guy, I use A and S much more often than M.

Kelly Cook

:agree: with you on this one. By removing one element fro the equation, you can concentrate on getting the shot. Right now there are a mess of hummingbirds flocking to the feeders. Depending on how I want to capture them, I will use A or S (AV or TV on Canon) and increase my chances of getting a good shot.
I took a workshop last year where the instructors INSISTED all shots should be made in Manual mode. y opinion after the class and trying their methods was that they must miss THOUSANDS of great shots because they are dickering around with their "mechanical devises". In certain "static" scenes, manual is OK (I learned it on an 8x10 camera) but A and S have gotten so good, use it.

Shoot, learn and share. It will make you a better photographer.
fineartamerica.com/profiles/john-g-schickler.html?tab=artwork

Photo Comments
12 years 11 months ago #72811 by Fallin Star

KCook wrote: If you are shooting under controlled lighting, these modes will let the exposure vary from shot to shot, which may be undesirable. Since "manual" mode is really "fixed exposure" mode. As a happy snapper, not a studio guy, I use A and S much more often than M.

Kelly Cook

How is manual mode a fixed exposure mode? Wouldn't Auto be a fixed exposure mode?

12 years 11 months ago #72813 by Fallin Star

DestinDave wrote: The only "cheating" with using any of the auto modes is possibly cheating yourself out of a potentially better photograph. Full manual - M - may give you the most control over aperture and shutter settings but Av and Tv - (A & S) - still allow some control over these settings.

Wow, thank you for all that information. I wasn't expecting such an indepth answer. Thanks

12 years 11 months ago #72941 by KCook

Fallin Star wrote:

Kelly Cook

How is manual mode a fixed exposure mode? Wouldn't Auto be a fixed exposure mode?

By "fixed", I meant that the exposure settings remain "stuck" on the last values. No matter how many shots you take, same settings. Until you adjust a setting yourself. At least until you change the camera battery. Assuming also in a fixed ISO setting, not Auto ISO.

Unless you have enabled AE Lock, the A or S mode will re-meter the scene, and adjust the exposure settings, each time you take another shot. So as long as anything in the scene is changing, there is a good chance an exposure setting will change as well.

Kelly

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

12 years 11 months ago - 12 years 11 months ago #73119 by Henry Peach

Fallin Star wrote: Also is there any downside with using these modes?

Yes. They will vary the exposure based on scene tonality. Even if the lighting does not change when the meter is pointed at a darker object it will tend to over-expose, and when pointed at a lighter object it will tend to under-expose. Unless exposure compensation is adjusted for each situation. They work great when scene tonality is fairly uniform.
12 years 11 months ago - 12 years 11 months ago #73197 by MLKstudios
As Henry (do you prefer Henry or Matt?) pointed out, there are times it makes things worse. Manual will give you a uniform exposure, until you manually change it. Like which format should you use, it depends on many factors, including what you have to work with.

Matthew :)

PS once an exposure is set, you needn't change it for EVERY shot. Only change it when the light changes.

Matthew L Kees
MLK Studios Photography School
www.MLKstudios.com
[email protected]
"Every artist, was once an amateur"

12 years 11 months ago #73277 by Screamin Scott

MLKstudios wrote: As Henry (do you prefer Henry or Matt?) pointed out, there are times it makes things worse. Manual will give you a uniform exposure, until you manually change it. Like which format should you use, it depends on many factors, including what you have to work with.

PS once an exposure is set, you needn't change it for EVERY shot. Only change it when the light changes.

Of course, there are times even when the light changes, that you may still not want to change your settings (low key/high key for instance) due to wanting a certain effect. Remember that the meter is only a dumb tool & can be fooled. Knowing how your metering mode is reading a scene will allow you to have more control over the outcome...I still know of a good number of photographers who spot meter on the brightest/darkest elements of a scene to determine what settings they want to use...(the Zone system, as I'm sure some of you are already familiar with)

Scott Ditzel Photography

www.flickr.com/photos/screaminscott/

Photo Comments
12 years 11 months ago - 12 years 11 months ago #73283 by MLKstudios
I use the histogram as the modern day Zone System tool. But, it only helps AFTER you've made at least one exposure, so it's only good for certain types of photography.

Matthew L Kees
MLK Studios Photography School
www.MLKstudios.com
[email protected]
"Every artist, was once an amateur"

12 years 11 months ago #73285 by Screamin Scott
It's a shame some of the earlier DSLR's didn't have the 3 color histogram...Sure comes in handy...

Scott Ditzel Photography

www.flickr.com/photos/screaminscott/

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024