Buying your first digital camera......

12 years 11 months ago #72759 by Ednra
When you bought your first digital camera (even if it was a P&S), looking back, do you think you got into digital too late? Do you ever wish you bought a digital camera earlier then you did?

The following user(s) said Thank You: Hajiagha
12 years 11 months ago #72763 by Baydream
No. I bought an Agfa 2mp camera in 2000. Slow as could be but I do have some decent 8x10 prints from it.

Shoot, learn and share. It will make you a better photographer.
fineartamerica.com/profiles/john-g-schickler.html?tab=artwork

Photo Comments
12 years 11 months ago #72857 by effron
My first digicam was a Nikon D70s. I have used Nikon for over forty years, thought I could use old lenses, but was wrong. Don't regret the purchase, but once the D300 was released, I could then use almost all my old lenses. The NAS bug soon hit.........:)

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
12 years 11 months ago #72861 by 10099 XP
I believe I bought my point and shoot just about right time frame for me. My DSLR, I think I should have waited.

12 years 11 months ago #73637 by Rob pix4u2
The P & S was ok for static shots but I needed a reasonably priced DSLR for my hockey work so I'm Glad I waited for the D70s to come out to get my first real digital body. Now I work with two D 90 bodies and am very happy with them.

Remember to engage brain before putting mouth in gear
Rob Huelsman Sr.
My Facebook www.facebook.com/ImaginACTIONPhotography

12 years 11 months ago #73641 by Stealthy Ninja

Rob pix4u2 wrote: The P & S was ok for static shots but I needed a reasonably priced DSLR for my hockey work so I'm Glad I waited for the D70s to come out to get my first real digital body. Now I work with two D 90 bodies and am very happy with them.

Rob you totally should get a couple of D3s man. You'd be blown away.
12 years 11 months ago #73645 by Rob pix4u2
When budget allows I will but that may be awhile :beerbang:

Remember to engage brain before putting mouth in gear
Rob Huelsman Sr.
My Facebook www.facebook.com/ImaginACTIONPhotography

12 years 11 months ago #73649 by Stealthy Ninja

Rob pix4u2 wrote: When budget allows I will but that may be awhile :beerbang:

maybe D4 ;)
12 years 11 months ago #73869 by Baydream

Stealthy Ninja wrote:

Rob pix4u2 wrote: When budget allows I will but that may be awhile :beerbang:

maybe D4 ;)

Just like Congress. Easy to spend some one else's money. :whistle:

Shoot, learn and share. It will make you a better photographer.
fineartamerica.com/profiles/john-g-schickler.html?tab=artwork

Photo Comments
12 years 11 months ago #74071 by Hajiagha
B) I buy sony A 100 I pay 180 with lens 18-70mm camera bag is 10 mp camera photography with this camera are so better as my new NikonD3000. lens is Sigma 170-500mm APO I have and I never had any problems with this sony is great camera. also Fujifilm 12 mp 1800 is great camera and video recording

12 years 11 months ago #74083 by Hajiagha
sony HDR-SR7 with 6mp camera camcorder I had also was great, even canon power shut 10 mp I had canon xsi 12 mp new sigma lens cost me $1200, but photo from sony A 100 is much better as new canon ?

12 years 11 months ago - 12 years 11 months ago #74707 by John Landolfi
No, I started with film many years ago, and still use my film Nikons and the many lenses I accumulated. I stuck to Nikon for digital, so I could continue using those lenses, alongside digital ones. I think film still has a lot to teach a beginner.

Photo Comments
12 years 11 months ago #74721 by McBeth Photography
My first camera was and is a D70. I purchased the D70 for $275 two years ago. My only lens for about 9 months was a 50mm 1.8D ($125) brand new. I love that setup for beginners and I am still learning on it. I'm actually just now thinking about playing with film, John is right....a beginner can learn a lot from film.

It is what it is.
12 years 11 months ago #74781 by Joves

John Landolfi wrote: No, I started with film many years ago, and still use my film Nikons and the many lenses I accumulated. I stuck to Nikon for digital, so I could continue using those lenses, alongside digital ones. I think film still has a lot to teach a beginner.

I have to agree with you on film. This is especially true if you keep notes on your shots.
My first digital was a Sony Mavica I bought for a fun camera, I was still shooting film.

12 years 11 months ago #74785 by mj~shutterbugg
I bought a 10D when it was fresh on the market about 8-9 yrs ago. I had a75-300 zoom, a fixed 50mm, and a 35-135mm. Shot with that set up up until March this year. My 35-135 died after over a decade of faithful use. I replaced it with a 28-135 IS USM, which I love. I also added a fixed 50mm macro which is my go to lens now. Love it even for candids of my kids. I upgraded my body to a 5D Mark II so I could blow up huge for customers. There is so much room for me to grow with this camera and learn on it, it isn't even funny.

Do I believe I got in on digital at the right time- yeah for me. I love not having to print my mistakes, which I still make tons of. I took the better part of the last 7 yrs off of shooting and just used it for family things. I also agree there is a lot to be learned from film, it forces you to focus and think as each shot is precious.

Think Off-Center ~ George Carlin
www.mjbrennanphoto.com

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024