How often do you use your tripod?

12 years 11 months ago #73073 by Baydream

crystal wrote: All the time, I use it to beat off the people chasing me down for trespassing onto their property to get the shot. :rofl:

My old style Manfrotto monopod has a much better swing.:duel:

Shoot, learn and share. It will make you a better photographer.
fineartamerica.com/profiles/john-g-schickler.html?tab=artwork

Photo Comments
12 years 11 months ago #73097 by chasrich

Baydream wrote:

crystal wrote: All the time, I use it to beat off the people chasing me down for trespassing onto their property to get the shot. :rofl:

My old style Manfrotto monopod has a much better swing.:duel:

That's nuthin... I converted a Louisville Slugger into a monopod! It even floats! :rofl:

“Amateurs worry about equipment, professionals worry about money, masters worry about light, I just make pictures… ” ~ Vernon Trent
12 years 11 months ago - 12 years 11 months ago #73099 by MLKstudios
Every time I shoot 8x10. When needed with other formats. ;)

PS Cool chas! Post a pic.

Matthew L Kees
MLK Studios Photography School
www.MLKstudios.com
[email protected]
"Every artist, was once an amateur"

12 years 11 months ago #73201 by ilh2009ky
I use my tripod on 95% of all the photos I take. The only exceptions are photos out of the airplane window and a few parties that I shoot. As mentioned above, using a tripod, especially for nature and travel photos, enables you to get very sharp images. I shoot aperture priority about 75% of the time, I use f/22 and f/20 a lot to get large depth of field, and I use low ISOs (100 and 200). Thus, I have to use a tripod. Also, using a tripod makes one a better photographer. It forces discipline when composing and thinking about a shot. If you learn discipline while using a tripod, it's a lot easier to maintain your discipline when you are not using a tripod.

Ian Leslie Harry
www.ilhphotography.com

12 years 11 months ago #73233 by Karl Wertanen

ilh2009ky wrote: I use my tripod on 95% of all the photos I take. The only exceptions are photos out of the airplane window and a few parties that I shoot. As mentioned above, using a tripod, especially for nature and travel photos, enables you to get very sharp images. I shoot aperture priority about 75% of the time, I use f/22 and f/20 a lot to get large depth of field, and I use low ISOs (100 and 200). Thus, I have to use a tripod. Also, using a tripod makes one a better photographer. It forces discipline when composing and thinking about a shot. If you learn discipline while using a tripod, it's a lot easier to maintain your discipline when you are not using a tripod.

Well said! :thumbsup:
12 years 11 months ago - 12 years 11 months ago #73245 by MLKstudios
A good point, but...

... there are many styles of photography. Some where detail is most important (i.e landscapes and macro) and others where "the moment" is the important thing about the image.

I don't think Cartier-Bresson used a tripod at all (or very often), and is considered by many to be the best photographer who has lived.

Matthew :)

PS I totally agree that it can help slow you down when learning and make you more aware of what is in your frame. Nothing beats a large format camera (w/sticks) in that sense.

Matthew L Kees
www.MLKstudios.com
[email protected]

12 years 11 months ago - 12 years 11 months ago #73267 by Henry Peach
I use my tripod most often when shooting landscapes. There is no doubt in my mind that it does a lot more for resolving fine details than big megapixel counts and $1000+ lenses. Sometimes I don't feel like carrying it and leave it behind. If I manage to get an amazing shot I'll usually regret it though.

If I were in a studio situation I'd probably put the camera on the tripod. I mainly shoot portraits on location though, and outdoors I use my tripod as a light stand. It's more stable than my regular stands, and that can be handy on a breezy day when using a softbox or umbrella.

I still have the same Manfrotto/Bogen I bought almost 20 years ago to handle all my cameras from 35mm to 4x5. It's been a sturdy, reliable beast, but it has occurred to me that I could probably replace it with something smaller and lighter now that I'm only shooting DSLRs.
12 years 11 months ago #73275 by Rob pix4u2
Ever since a very windy day in the Rocky Mountains NP I have been glad for my heavy Bogen tripod

Remember to engage brain before putting mouth in gear
Rob Huelsman Sr.
My Facebook www.facebook.com/ImaginACTIONPhotography

Attachments:
12 years 11 months ago #73279 by MLKstudios
Adams once was asked what is the best tripod to use... he answered, "The heaviest you can carry". Then they asked him which was the worst... "The heaviest you can carry".

:)

Matthew L Kees
www.MLKstudios.com
[email protected]

12 years 11 months ago #73395 by Joves
I use mine about 30% of the time, I use my monopod about 50%. I do alot of hoofing around so the monopod is easier to carry.

12 years 11 months ago #73483 by robbie
Just don`t like tripod!!!I carried one but will use it only if I use the 1.4 TC with the 300/4 because I cannot hand hold and get a sharp image at iso 400.When I want shots of stationary birds with catchlights I might use it.For birds inflight,no way Jose,just not possible.For landscapes I know I can hand hold but the images will not line up perfectly,that`s the beauty of my stitching program to create a pano without any problem.Got a 'side kick' for birds and another for landscapes.

12 years 11 months ago #73527 by Nikonjan
Just happened to think of another reason to use a tripod. When you want several exposures to do HDR and panoramics.

www.betterphoto.com?nikonjan
12 years 11 months ago #75095 by Graflex 4x5
I do a LOT of HDR, so probably 90+ % of the time. Wouldn't mind getting a carbon fiber one but it's had to focus with a nose bleed.

Easiest way to find my car in the parking lot, it has the tripod in the back seat.

No matter how fast I go, there's always someone slower in front of me.
12 years 11 months ago #75293 by bhowdy
I use a tripod about 80% of the time now ... It wasn't always that way. I shoot mainly wildlife and landscapes so I have forced myself to become comfortable with a tripod and use it!

Bob Howdeshell

"If I could tell the story in words, I wouldn't need to lug around a camera" ~ Lewis Hine

12 years 11 months ago #75309 by H0U53
I don't have a tripod. Can anyone recommend one? Are the tripods sold in stores like Best buy good enough?

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024