Any tips/suggestions?

12 years 11 months ago #74081 by Wildgee
The other day i bought a zippo lighter. Just for fun with my camera I want to do a photo shoot for it. But i haven't shot anything like this before because i prefer nature photography. So do you have any suggestions/tips that are not obvious that will make my photos turn out far better?

12 years 11 months ago #74085 by D5000
Are you going to do product type shots? Do you have lighting? How were you planning to shoot the Zippo? Is it the shiny type or is it painted?

12 years 11 months ago #74091 by Wildgee
The idea was to go for a product shot. I dont have any lighting besides the flash on my camera unfortunately. And lastly its all chrome, no paint.

12 years 11 months ago #74095 by Eddie
Try laying the lighter down on a flat surface, at a slight angle to the camera, and then set the lens to 18mm and get as close to it as you can,and shoot some photos that emphasize the distortion the lens will create when shot from minimum focus distance.

12 years 11 months ago #74435 by Joshwell
You could take a picture of someone lighting it, but focus more on the zippo.

12 years 11 months ago #74471 by chasrich
First put on a lab coat. Next laugh an evil laugh. Bwahahaha... Try shooting it with exposure set on the flame with ambient light. Shoot it on a mirror. Shoot it falling or bouncing. Shoot it on a white background then on black. Go outside and shoot it in sunlight. Shoot it in shade. Keep laughing the whole time so nobody will dare approach you and ruin your concentration. Shoot the printing on the bottom. Shoot the wick and fire well. Shoot it lighting a fuse on some TNT... Run like hell! :rofl:

“Amateurs worry about equipment, professionals worry about money, masters worry about light, I just make pictures… ” ~ Vernon Trent
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cre8tivefix
12 years 11 months ago #74519 by DonD2

chasrich wrote: First put on a lab coat. Next laugh an evil laugh. Bwahahaha... Try shooting it with exposure set on the flame with ambient light. Shoot it on a mirror. Shoot it falling or bouncing. Shoot it on a white background then on black. Go outside and shoot it in sunlight. Shoot it in shade. Keep laughing the whole time so nobody will dare approach you and ruin your concentration. Shoot the printing on the bottom. Shoot the wick and fire well. Shoot it lighting a fuse on some TNT... Run like hell! :rofl:

:evil: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
I like your outside the 9 dots thinking there Charles, evil, but interesting...:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
12 years 11 months ago #74587 by DestinDave
Light it under Charles' beard, shoot QUICK, run like hell.... :rofl: :rofl:

Dave Speicher
I thought I wanted a career.. turns out I only wanted paychecks.
dlspeicher.zenfolio.com

12 years 11 months ago #74591 by photobod

chasrich wrote: First put on a lab coat. Next laugh an evil laugh. Bwahahaha... Try shooting it with exposure set on the flame with ambient light. Shoot it on a mirror. Shoot it falling or bouncing. Shoot it on a white background then on black. Go outside and shoot it in sunlight. Shoot it in shade. Keep laughing the whole time so nobody will dare approach you and ruin your concentration. Shoot the printing on the bottom. Shoot the wick and fire well. Shoot it lighting a fuse on some TNT... Run like hell! :rofl:

Charles you never cease to amaze, laughing aside some darned good ideas there, I would add dont use the on camera flash it would be a waste of time, inside use the highest iso you dare use the lwest shutter speed and the widest f stop and go with Charlie boys ideas, then the most impotant part, post them on here so we can see how well you did.

www.dcimages.org.uk
"A good photograph is one that communicate a fact, touches the heart, leaves the viewer a changed person for having seen it. It is, in a word, effective." - Irving Penn

12 years 11 months ago - 12 years 11 months ago #74609 by DestinDave
Ok.. seriously.. Here is a video (1st in a series) that shows basic product photography setups and inexpensive DIY methods..

www.prophotolife.com/prophotolife-instru...product-photography/

And - to make up with Charles, here's my old Zippo.. I know you'll love this one bro'! :cheers:
I just shot this and edited it all in about 5 minutes using similar techniques to the above video.. obviously I didn't take the time to polish away the fingerprints plus there are some reflections I could have blocked but you get the idea.. the reflection comes from placing the lighter on a piece of glass.

Dave Speicher
dlspeicher.zenfolio.com

Attachments:
12 years 11 months ago - 12 years 11 months ago #75167 by chasrich

DestinDave wrote: Ok.. seriously.. Here is a video (1st in a series) that shows basic product photography setups and inexpensive DIY methods..

www.prophotolife.com/prophotolife-instru...product-photography/

And - to make up with Charles, here's my old Zippo.. I know you'll love this one bro'! :cheers:
I just shot this and edited it all in about 5 minutes using similar techniques to the above video.. obviously I didn't take the time to polish away the fingerprints plus there are some reflections I could have blocked but you get the idea.. the reflection comes from placing the lighter on a piece of glass.

Attachment not found

Outstanding!

Also a very good illustration on lighting product shots.

“Amateurs worry about equipment, professionals worry about money, masters worry about light, I just make pictures… ” ~ Vernon Trent
The following user(s) said Thank You: DestinDave
12 years 11 months ago #75173 by DestinDave
Knew you'd like that one.. my wife got me that lighter for Christmas about 8 years ago... I wanted a Led Zeppelin one but when she went to get it, they were gone and she saw The Wall... soon as I saw it I forgot all about the LZ model..

Dave Speicher
dlspeicher.zenfolio.com

12 years 11 months ago #75179 by Baydream

DestinDave wrote: Knew you'd like that one.. my wife got me that lighter for Christmas about 8 years ago... I wanted a Led Zeppelin one but when she went to get it, they were gone and she saw The Wall... soon as I saw it I forgot all about the LZ model..

A fitting photo to post on this Memorial Day weekend . :patriot:

Shoot, learn and share. It will make you a better photographer.
fineartamerica.com/profiles/john-g-schickler.html?tab=artwork

Photo Comments
12 years 11 months ago #75193 by chasrich

Baydream wrote:

DestinDave wrote: Knew you'd like that one.. my wife got me that lighter for Christmas about 8 years ago... I wanted a Led Zeppelin one but when she went to get it, they were gone and she saw The Wall... soon as I saw it I forgot all about the LZ model..

A fitting photo to post on this Memorial Day weekend . :patriot:

Indeed it is. I think of visiting DC every spring. I was born there so it might be time to go visit the old house and see some of the other sights. This type of trip might be a one of a kind opportunity so I'm thinking the time might be to catch the cherry blossoms as well as the monuments and other sights. We talked about a travel thread where others might point out what would be a good photo destination in a city like that.

:patriot: Salute to all our veterans and their families. Thank you for your service and sacrifices.

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024