Being an assistant?

12 years 11 months ago #74235 by QueenB
How would one go about in being a photographer's assistant? I would like to take a step closer to gaining more experience in photography, so I thought..why not being an assistant, but I'm not sure how to go about it? Do I really need a lot of skills to become one?

12 years 11 months ago #74241 by Joshwell
Maybe you should bring a profile of your best pictures to show how dedicated you are.

12 years 11 months ago #74243 by Jayyyyyyy
Call the studios and ask them if they need assistants. Other than that, I don't know what to tell you. I never been an assistant and I never had one. Good Luck.

12 years 11 months ago #74263 by photobod
A portfolio of your work would be an asset, plus a great deal of positiveness and drive in approaching professional photographers in person, just be yourself and show a willingness to learn, there may be lots of no's but you are only looking for one yes.

www.dcimages.org.uk
"A good photograph is one that communicate a fact, touches the heart, leaves the viewer a changed person for having seen it. It is, in a word, effective." - Irving Penn

12 years 11 months ago #74565 by Prago
Find a good local photographer, and ask them

SWM into chainsaws and hockey masks seeks like-minded SWF. No weirdos, please
Photo Comments
12 years 11 months ago #74581 by DestinDave
It seems like every other week or so I see an ad on Craigslist where a photographer is seeking an assistant. These are in the Jobs section under either Art/Media/Design or Creative. Some are paid jobs while others are unpaid internships. You could also put a posting under those same categories offering yourself as an assistant and see if someone answers.
Good luck!

Dave Speicher
I thought I wanted a career.. turns out I only wanted paychecks.
dlspeicher.zenfolio.com

12 years 11 months ago #74729 by effron
Check for photo/camera clubs......;)

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
12 years 11 months ago #74951 by Kenya See
Another word for a intern :)

Photo Comments
12 years 11 months ago #75281 by H0U53
Do assistants really learn a lot about photography? or are they just someone to hold a light, go get fresh batteries etc..

12 years 11 months ago - 12 years 11 months ago #75357 by photobod

H0U53 wrote: Do assistants really learn a lot about photography? or are they just someone to hold a light, go get fresh batteries etc..

It teaches you a lot as you can watch a pro at work and you see how they interact with a client, how they set up there lights, how they set there camera up and they are more than willing to part with any knowledge they possess and yes you do end up lugging fetching and carrying.

www.dcimages.org.uk
"A good photograph is one that communicate a fact, touches the heart, leaves the viewer a changed person for having seen it. It is, in a word, effective." - Irving Penn

12 years 11 months ago - 12 years 11 months ago #75637 by MLKstudios
There are all levels of "assisting" from fetching coffee to second shooting. If you're in a small town, the better photographers may not want to share too much, as you then become his/her competition.

If you are in a big city (London, NYC, LA, Chicago, etc.) then the pros have many to chose from, and will hire people who know the "lingo" used on a set. I.E raise my key half a stop and put a CTB on the background light.

If you want to LEARN photography, take a formal course. I offer one with a huge discount! You'll soon be hiring assistants.

Matthew :)

Matthew L Kees
MLK Studios Photography School
www.MLKstudios.com
[email protected]
"Every artist, was once an amateur"

12 years 11 months ago #75733 by Nikonjan
Find the Professional Photographer groups in your state, there will be a list of photographers that you can contact to ask if you can train to be an assistant. Also, if you want some trainging, the mall photographer places will train you, even places like Walmart, LIfetouch etc.

www.betterphoto.com?nikonjan
12 years 10 months ago - 12 years 10 months ago #75759 by MLKstudios
Jan,

I'd rather have one student succeed as a photographer with heart, than produce a hundred cookie cutter shooters. The world has plenty of those. You'll find their work in shopping malls all across our nation.

I have many who've graduated to human beings with a camera, and now know how to "see" not only with their cameras, but with their eyes and their hearts too. My teaching style is very different than my competitor's training.

Everyone has their own reason for wanting to be a good (or even a great) photographer. Don't let that pass you by. You can still strive to be another Mary Ellen-Mark, Julia Margeret-Cameron or Margaret Bourke-White.

We sometimes hit what we aim for, so aim high!

Matthew :)

PS I see you already have good work on your website. Some are very nice.

Matthew L Kees
MLK Studios Photography School
www.MLKstudios.com
[email protected]
"Every artist, was once an amateur"

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024