Printing questions

12 years 10 months ago #76621 by Wood
-Do you feel it is less of hassle to make prints and frames from a lab then printing from you home’s printer, when you want to sell those ?

- If you get your prints and frames from a website (like Shutterfly) do you make it shipped to you and then ship it back to your client? as I feel if it’s shipped directly from the website it does not look professional, it would feel more like publicity for Shutterfly than your own business, I feel.... and you cannot add your personal touch, like a printed note or something.

12 years 10 months ago #76627 by Redhouse
ALWAYS deliver the final product yourself. There's a lot of reasons-

1) Final quality control of the finished product
2) It's really not the customers business where the work was done.
3) Why give the printer free advertising?
4) Avoid awkward situations like them including an invoice with the pictures

12 years 10 months ago #76629 by Wood
Those are really good reasons.

12 years 10 months ago #76649 by Rob pix4u2
I use a high quality home printer and only outsource the bigger sizes of prints for my own reasons of quality control and always deliver the finished product from me to the customer.

Remember to engage brain before putting mouth in gear
Rob Huelsman Sr.
My Facebook www.facebook.com/ImaginACTIONPhotography

12 years 10 months ago #76653 by Wood

Rob pix4u2 wrote: I use a high quality home printer and only outsource the bigger sizes of prints for my own reasons of quality control and always deliver the finished product from me to the customer.

Can the customer tell if the prints are printer from you or from a lab?

12 years 10 months ago #76659 by Rob pix4u2
No and I have never had a problem. I enjoy printing myself and have control over papers and cropping where I have sometimes had problems with lab crops on some 11x 14 prints.

This print is an example of my crop where I had a lab cut off the clouds at the top thinking for whatever reason that I didn't want them. I still work from my film archives and that is where I run into lab personel who interpret things like crop marks wrong.

Rob Huelsman Sr.

Attachments:
12 years 10 months ago #76689 by Wood
nice photo. Where was that taken?

12 years 10 months ago #76703 by Rob pix4u2
In Denali national park Alaska, Fuji Reala 100 asa film, Nikon N90s with a 300mm F 4 lens at F22

Rob Huelsman Sr.

12 years 10 months ago #76721 by Baydream

Wood wrote:

Rob pix4u2 wrote: I use a high quality home printer and only outsource the bigger sizes of prints for my own reasons of quality control and always deliver the finished product from me to the customer.

Can the customer tell if the prints are printer from you or from a lab?

Not if you have a quality printer. In most cases that's what the labs are using. Our local Costco is printing20x30 posters in-store on a wide Epson.

Shoot, learn and share. It will make you a better photographer.
fineartamerica.com/profiles/john-g-schickler.html?tab=artwork

Photo Comments
12 years 10 months ago #76737 by Henry Peach
I like C prints and silver gelatin prints, so I order my prints from the lab. When I shot film I didn't like dropping it off at the lab, because I preferred the control my darkroom gave me. Now my monitors are calibrated to the lab's printers. I process the photo as I like, upload it, order it without corrections, and it's shipped to me or the client. It's like having a RA-4 machine of my own, except the printer cables are 200 miles long. ;)

Someday I would like to learn ink jet printing, but at this point I don't have the time or money, and I'm very happy with the prints from my lab. I finally got my darkroom closed down, cleaned up, and reclaimed for family use. I'm happy to let someone else mess with the machines for a while.

Many labs offer to remove their logo and advertising from orders. I do like to see the order before it is delivered to the client, but after thousands of orders and tens of thousands of prints from my lab without problems I have confidence in them. If the buyer/client is local, I'll have it shipped to me, and deliver in person. If they are out of town I usually ship straight from the lab to avoid double shipping charges.
12 years 10 months ago #76861 by photobod

Henry Peach wrote: I like C prints and silver gelatin prints, so I order my prints from the lab. When I shot film I didn't like dropping it off at the lab, because I preferred the control my darkroom gave me. Now my monitors are calibrated to the lab's printers. I process the photo as I like, upload it, order it without corrections, and it's shipped to me or the client. It's like having a RA-4 machine of my own, except the printer cables are 200 miles long. ;)

Someday I would like to learn ink jet printing, but at this point I don't have the time or money, and I'm very happy with the prints from my lab. I finally got my darkroom closed down, cleaned up, and reclaimed for family use. I'm happy to let someone else mess with the machines for a while.

Many labs offer to remove their logo and advertising from orders. I do like to see the order before it is delivered to the client, but after thousands of orders and tens of thousands of prints from my lab without problems I have confidence in them. If the buyer/client is local, I'll have it shipped to me, and deliver in person. If they are out of town I usually ship straight from the lab to avoid double shipping charges.

Have to agree with you on having trust with your lab, and if they are happy to take there logos and advertising off as mine do then why not have it shipped to your client direct.
I do a minimal amount of printing myself on an Epson PX700W max print size is A4.

www.dcimages.org.uk
"A good photograph is one that communicate a fact, touches the heart, leaves the viewer a changed person for having seen it. It is, in a word, effective." - Irving Penn

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024