Condensation question

12 years 11 months ago #77285 by Frank The Tank
Warmer weather is here so AC is running a lot these days. I had my camera sitting near the AC vent for a number of hours and went outside to take some photos and my lens and camera got fogged up. Now is there a quick way to get rid of the fog on the lens and camera?

Photo Comments
12 years 11 months ago #77287 by chasrich
The fastest way it to cook the camera in the sun. Once the lens is fogged it can only be dried off by warming the lens to stop further condensation and then allowing the moisture to be evaporated or dried. Take off the lens cover and let the sun shine directly onto the lens. I suppose putting the lens on the dashboard of the car might even be quicker but remember excessive heat is not good for the camera either. If you use a microwave I suggest you experiment with someone elses camera and for that matter borrow their microwave as well. :rofl: (note: the laughing emoticon releases me for any damage you might do by taking my microwave suggestion seriously. Photobod this means you!) :woohoo:

“Amateurs worry about equipment, professionals worry about money, masters worry about light, I just make pictures… ” ~ Vernon Trent
12 years 11 months ago #77295 by MLKstudios
Good advice from chas. You can also keep your camera in a Zip Lock bag.

Matthew :)

Matthew L Kees
MLK Studios Photography School
www.MLKstudios.com
[email protected]
"Every artist, was once an amateur"

12 years 11 months ago #77303 by Baydream

MLKstudios wrote: Good advice from chas. You can also keep your camera in a Zip Lock bag.

:agree: Safer and less expensive than Charles's idea. This is a good idea any time you transition between temperature extremes.

Shoot, learn and share. It will make you a better photographer.
fineartamerica.com/profiles/john-g-schickler.html?tab=artwork

Photo Comments
12 years 11 months ago #77333 by crystal
Well I never have that problem, but that could be because my camera stays in my camera bag, if I plan to use it, either I take whole bag outside. Or I'll take just the camera (if I am shooting around the house) but I never had a problem with condesation, could be because it's in the bag all day long. Away from the cold air of the ac.
12 years 11 months ago #77345 by chasrich

Baydream wrote:

MLKstudios wrote: Good advice from chas. You can also keep your camera in a Zip Lock bag.

:agree: Safer and less expensive than Charles's idea. This is a good idea any time you transition between temperature extremes.

I agree the baggy is a good idea. Remember to allow it to warm up before unzipping it and removing the lens cover.

“Amateurs worry about equipment, professionals worry about money, masters worry about light, I just make pictures… ” ~ Vernon Trent
12 years 11 months ago #77635 by TheNissanMan
Wish we had that problem over here, it tends to be the other way rounf, codl to hot :lol:

Normally for me it's going into a hot house or equivalent which causes the problem, easy fix havea sit down for a couple of minutes with the lens hood off the lens sems to be the quickest way to let the camera climatise itself to it's surrounds and the condensation soon wears off.

12 years 11 months ago #77933 by Stealthy Ninja

chasrich wrote: The fastest way it to cook the camera in the sun. Once the lens is fogged it can only be dried off by warming the lens to stop further condensation and then allowing the moisture to be evaporated or dried. Take off the lens cover and let the sun shine directly onto the lens. I suppose putting the lens on the dashboard of the car might even be quicker but remember excessive heat is not good for the camera either. If you use a microwave I suggest you experiment with someone elses camera and for that matter borrow their microwave as well. :rofl: (note: the laughing emoticon releases me for any damage you might do by taking my microwave suggestion seriously. Photobod this means you!) :woohoo:

Ha hA! :beerbang:
12 years 10 months ago #81491 by Prago
Time is your best friend. This has happened to me a few times, I just let the camera sit with no lens cap on it for a few minutes.

SWM into chainsaws and hockey masks seeks like-minded SWF. No weirdos, please
Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Urban photography is a genre showcasing features in urban settings. You can photograph people, architecture, mass transit, and many other subjects. Learn how to do so in this guide!

Apr 30, 2024

The Nikon D850 might be an older DSLR, but it was ahead of its time when it debuted in 2017. That means it still has plenty of firepower to compete with today’s powerful mirrorless cameras.

Apr 30, 2024

The best beginner camera isn’t the same for everyone. That means having choice is of the utmost importance. In this guide, explore five excellent beginner camera options for 2024 and beyond.

Apr 25, 2024

Child portrait photography is a unique undertaking requiring special skills and talents to get the best results. Start mastering this photography niche with these essential tips!

Apr 25, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024