To prime or not?

12 years 11 months ago #77381 by TMR 001
I understand the difference between lenses such as the 18-55mm kit lens and primes such as the 50mm (speed of lens, focusing speed, and sharpness) But my question is simply; do I really need one?

I have heard rave reviews about this lens, but if I shoot with my flash while I am indoors, will I really see a difference? Or better yet, where would I realistically see a difference.

12 years 11 months ago #77383 by WichWerk
With a fast prime, you won't need a flash indoors. You can get proper exposure with a fast enough shutter... so you won't have blurry subject matter. I love my 50mm.

12 years 11 months ago #77387 by TMR 001
What would I need to adjust in the camera as far as shutter, aperture, iso, etc. to achieve those results?

I guess I am just trying to decide if the 200 dollars is worth it. Or if I should just use my flash and be happy until my skills can match my equipment.

12 years 11 months ago - 12 years 11 months ago #77389 by MLKstudios
A prime can give you very shallow depth of field and lets you shoot in low light without a flash. They are also lighter (typically), sharper and easier to hold.

Matthew :)

In my course, I encourage all students purchase a 50mm lens, if all they have is the kit lens. It changes how you work and see with a camera. It takes it from a fancy P&S to one you control.

Matthew L Kees
MLK Studios Photography School
www.MLKstudios.com
[email protected]
"Every artist, was once an amateur"

12 years 11 months ago #77391 by Country gal
You will realistically see a difference when shooting under poor lighting conditions, where the f/1.8 lens will allow you to see through the viewfinder better, and also when it is necessary to have fast,sure focusing under poor lighting conditions without flash, and without any AF assist beam from a speedlight or a camera body that emits an AF assist beam when it has difficulty focusing.

The greater light gathering power of an f/1.8 lens rather than a much slower lens means that your AF system will have a slight edge. You know how the kit lens sometimes hunts for focus when using an off-center AF point? That type of behavior is minimized by having a fast, f/1.8 prime lens that is optimized for focusing at one length,and which is not a compromise.

The other place you will notice a difference is the lack of zoom on the prime; after using a particular fixed focal length lens, you start mentally framing shots in your mind's eye; there is less indecision about where to stand, and instead of debating about how close or how far to be, or what zoom setting to select, you will find yourself composing shots almost by instinct, once you become familiar with the angle of view of a particular prime lens on a particular camera format. Zooms by their very nature work differently than high-speed prime lenses do.

12 years 11 months ago #77397 by TMR 001
That makes sense, so it will basically take some of the gadget fidgeting out of the equation and let me focus on taking better pictures? (aside from being an all around better lens.)

12 years 11 months ago #77399 by Country gal
Well not less fidgeting. You won't have a zoom function to mess with, but everything else will still need to be adjusted as necessary.

12 years 11 months ago #77401 by TMR 001
Great! Thanks everyone for the info! I think I am going to go ahead and pick up a new lens then!

12 years 11 months ago #77611 by John Landolfi
As far as whther the difference in a given shot may be noticeable depends on how you view the images, and what eventual use you want to make of them. If you print 11x14 at 300dpi, you will almost surely see the difference in almost any image.

Photo Comments
12 years 11 months ago - 12 years 11 months ago #77663 by Henry Peach

Country gal wrote: ...the f/1.8 lens will allow you to see through the viewfinder better...

Many DSLR stock focusing screens are optimized for use with zooms these days, and won't ever get brighter than f/2.8 (I think this effects AF too, not just looking through the viewfinder). This is the case with Canon. I had to install a different focusing screen to get a brighter viewfinder with my prime lenses.

In low light situations I'll usually take all the extra exposure I can get. The difference between f/1.8 and f/2. can seem significant.

At focusing distances of 10' or closer the difference in DOF between f/2-ish and f/4-ish should be fairly obvious.

I am a big fan of smaller, lighter lenses. For me that's an advantage.

As far as sharpness goes I can't speak for the zoom lenses you've been using, but I've done extensive comparisons between the Sigma, Tamron, and Canon f/2.8 zooms I own and my primes. Common advice says the primes stopped down a few to f/2.8 ought to blow away the zooms at their max aperture, yet I can't see a difference even when extreme pixel peeping. I have shown my test shots to many photographers, and if the pics are unlabeled they don't seem to be able to differentiate primes from zooms either.

A prime lens will affect the quality of your photography much in the same way a non-adjustable wrench affects the quality of repairs for a mechanic. IMO, not much. Some days the prime will be better because of it's strengths, other days will belong to the zoom. Whether you succeed or fail at what you are trying to accomplish probably won't depend on what lens you are using.

If cropping in camera is important then a zoom lens trumps a prime. Perspective is controlled by camera placement. I position the camera to get the perspective I need, then I crop in the camera by adjusting focal length. With a prime lens I may need to crop out of the camera. This was a bigger deal to me when I shot 35mm film. Some DSLRs today allow for quite a bit of out-of-camera cropping and still retain decent image quality. I don't mind cropping big film or 12+ megapixels.

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Olympus Pen E-P7 is an affordable micro four thirds mirrorless camera with 4K video capabilities, a 20.3MP sensor, and 121 focus points, making it a solid entry-level camera for beginners.

May 13, 2024

The Panasonic G9 II is a 25.2-megapixel micro four thirds camera with numerous features that make it punch out of its weight class, like 779 AF points, 5.8K video, and weather sealing.

May 10, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Olympus Pen E-P7 is an affordable micro four thirds mirrorless camera with 4K video capabilities, a 20.3MP sensor, and 121 focus points, making it a solid entry-level camera for beginners.

May 13, 2024

Starting a photography business is one thing; sustaining your business over a long period of time is another. Use the tips in this professional photography guide to build something with longevity!

May 13, 2024

The Panasonic G9 II is a 25.2-megapixel micro four thirds camera with numerous features that make it punch out of its weight class, like 779 AF points, 5.8K video, and weather sealing.

May 10, 2024

Cinematic photography is an interesting genre that combines photographic and videographic skills along with effective storytelling techniques. The result? Highly impactful images!

May 09, 2024

Newborn photography requires skill, the right gear, and a lot of patience. This beginner’s guide discusses critical topics that will help you be more prepared for before, during, and after the shoot.

May 08, 2024

To fill the frame means to expand the footprint of the subject in your shot. Get in close, zoom in, crop the image, or use other techniques to bring the subject to the forefront.

May 06, 2024

With these simple yet effective beginner photography tips, you can avoid some of the common mistakes beginners make and get improved results with your images.

May 06, 2024

Urban photography is a genre showcasing features in urban settings. You can photograph people, architecture, mass transit, and many other subjects. Learn how to do so in this guide!

Apr 30, 2024