photographer positions

12 years 11 months ago #77491 by D Thompson
I'm wondering if someone can explain to me why a photographer, when taking a group shot, kneels down and shoots from that position. The photographer at my friend's wedding did this and I would imagine as a result the photographs wouldn't be very flattering.

12 years 11 months ago #77493 by YUP Design
Usually to change the angle of view. It's a very subjective thing. Depending on the actual angle, it can either work, or not work. Changing the angle may also assist with simplifying to background, as you are looking more at the sky.

12 years 11 months ago #77495 by D Thompson
Thanks, it just look very strange. I myself never taken pictures of people kneeling down.

12 years 11 months ago #77543 by MLKstudios
If there are any straight lines in the background (ex. a building), then the camera needs to be level to make them straight in the picture. If you stand and hold the camera level, you could cut off their feet and have too much room above.

Matthew :)

Matthew L Kees
MLK Studios Photography School
www.MLKstudios.com
[email protected]
"Every artist, was once an amateur"

12 years 11 months ago #77567 by D Thompson

MLKstudios wrote: If there are any straight lines in the background (ex. a building), then the camera needs to be level to make them straight in the picture. If you stand and hold the camera level, you could cut off their feet and have too much room above.

What does that have to do with my original question?

12 years 11 months ago #77617 by TheNissanMan
It depends on the location and the background and the people you are shooting, by changing the height at which you take the shot it's possible to:

a) remove items from an unwanted background
b) add a different perspective to the shot
c) change the way the light looks in the shot
d) list goes on

Every tog has a different outlook on the shots they want to achieve, there is no correct or incorrect way to shoot although certain shots do look better from different angles, it's all down to personal preference.

12 years 11 months ago #77653 by DestinDave

D Thompson wrote:

MLKstudios wrote: If there are any straight lines in the background (ex. a building), then the camera needs to be level to make them straight in the picture. If you stand and hold the camera level, you could cut off their feet and have too much room above.

What does that have to do with my original question?

Tilting the camera up or down (to take in the feet for example, will change the focal plane of the sensor relative to the plane of the subject(s) causing distortion (parallax).. the top of the lens may actually be farther from the subjects than the bottom of the lens.. only a small amount but it can drastically change how the image hits the sensor.. By kneeling and keeping the same flat plane, the photographer may be able to get all of everyone in the frame without any distortion.. Whether or not this works in every case depends on the distance from the subjects to the camera, the lens length, and other factors as well..

Dave Speicher
I thought I wanted a career.. turns out I only wanted paychecks.
dlspeicher.zenfolio.com

12 years 11 months ago #77657 by Henry Peach
For full length, standing portraits positioning the camera approximately at the subject's waist level results in the most natural looking perspective. When shot from above their waist the subject appears foreshortened (the head becomes larger, legs become shorter). When shot from below their waist they are elongated (the head becomes smaller, legs become longer). There may be subjects or shooting situations that would benefit from some other camera position, but this is standard procedure for traditional portraiture.
12 years 11 months ago #77661 by Rob pix4u2
Thank you Henry for explaining in plain english the reason for shooting at subjects waist level. Graet answer

Remember to engage brain before putting mouth in gear
Rob Huelsman Sr.
My Facebook www.facebook.com/ImaginACTIONPhotography

The following user(s) said Thank You: Henry Peach

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Olympus Pen E-P7 is an affordable micro four thirds mirrorless camera with 4K video capabilities, a 20.3MP sensor, and 121 focus points, making it a solid entry-level camera for beginners.

May 13, 2024

The Panasonic G9 II is a 25.2-megapixel micro four thirds camera with numerous features that make it punch out of its weight class, like 779 AF points, 5.8K video, and weather sealing.

May 10, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The best photography jobs right now are a mix of tried-and-true gigs like wedding photography and new jobs highlighting AI’s capabilities, travel, and videography.

May 15, 2024

The Olympus Pen E-P7 is an affordable micro four thirds mirrorless camera with 4K video capabilities, a 20.3MP sensor, and 121 focus points, making it a solid entry-level camera for beginners.

May 13, 2024

Starting a photography business is one thing; sustaining your business over a long period of time is another. Use the tips in this professional photography guide to build something with longevity!

May 13, 2024

The Panasonic G9 II is a 25.2-megapixel micro four thirds camera with numerous features that make it punch out of its weight class, like 779 AF points, 5.8K video, and weather sealing.

May 10, 2024

Cinematic photography is an interesting genre that combines photographic and videographic skills along with effective storytelling techniques. The result? Highly impactful images!

May 09, 2024

Newborn photography requires skill, the right gear, and a lot of patience. This beginner’s guide discusses critical topics that will help you be more prepared for before, during, and after the shoot.

May 08, 2024

To fill the frame means to expand the footprint of the subject in your shot. Get in close, zoom in, crop the image, or use other techniques to bring the subject to the forefront.

May 06, 2024

With these simple yet effective beginner photography tips, you can avoid some of the common mistakes beginners make and get improved results with your images.

May 06, 2024