Do you worry what others may think?

12 years 10 months ago #79189 by Armon Photos
When you are out and about wanting to take pictures, do you find yourself not doing as good as you should (shooting the subject, getting correct exposure etc..) due to worrying about what others around you will think? (will people think I am photographing them? or maybe the camera makes me look stupid) etc..

12 years 10 months ago #79207 by Rob pix4u2
YOU ARE A PHOTOGRAPHER-and you are doing what a photographer naturally does. If others don't get that that is NOT YOUR PROBLEM. Go for it and do your best no matter what others think or say-even your significant other. I always have a camera with me and now my wife has gotten so used to the camera she EXPECTS me to have it with me. REMEMBER-YOU are a PHOTOGRAPHER

Remember to engage brain before putting mouth in gear
Rob Huelsman Sr.
My Facebook www.facebook.com/ImaginACTIONPhotography

12 years 10 months ago #79209 by effron

Armon Photos wrote: When you are out and about wanting to take pictures, do you find yourself not doing as good as you should (shooting the subject, getting correct exposure etc..) due to worrying about what others around you will think? (will people think I am photographing them? or maybe the camera makes me look stupid) etc..

Why, yes. Yes I do.......NOT..........:)

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
12 years 10 months ago #79215 by robbie

Rob pix4u2 wrote: YOU ARE A PHOTOGRAPHER-and you are doing what a photographer naturally does. If others don't get that that is NOT YOUR PROBLEM. Go for it and do your best no matter what others think or say-even your significant other. I always have a camera with me and now my wife has gotten so used to the camera she EXPECTS me to have it with me. REMEMBER-YOU are a PHOTOGRAPHER

:judge: :judge: :judge:
At first I had that same feeling but with time it will go away,shooting at an event you might ackward but as get into it you will feel at home..piece of cake...
Just keeping clicking.

12 years 10 months ago #79255 by chasrich
What? Me Worry? :rofl:

Looking is allowed. Looking through a camera is the same thing really. Looking through someones blinds will get you into trouble but no camera is needed for that problem.

“Amateurs worry about equipment, professionals worry about money, masters worry about light, I just make pictures… ” ~ Vernon Trent
12 years 10 months ago #79257 by icepics
I got used to it. When I was taking pictures for marketing for a local minor league team, people would look at me, look in the direction I was facing (like why would I be looking at some signage instead of the game?? LOL). Then they'd watch the game and ignore me... after awhile people got used to seeing me there and the apparent novelty of a woman photographer at a sporting event wore off. Except for the occasional wave or hamming it up for the camera - but that gave me a great crowd shot once that got used in one of their brochures.

Sharon
Photo Comments
12 years 10 months ago - 12 years 10 months ago #79759 by Stealthy Ninja
Yes, I've very concerned what you all think. :rolleyes
12 years 10 months ago #80749 by ilh2009ky
The only time I worry about people is when their footsteps and/or weight shakes the viewing platform or foot bridge. If I arrive early to catch the best light, I also miss the tour buses which usually come later in the morning. Sometimes I shoot in between tour bus arrivals.

Ian Leslie Harry
www.ilhphotography.com

12 years 10 months ago #80755 by Graflex 4x5
If I find my camera makes people more aware of their actions, I'll act as if I'm setting it aside and go into photo sniper mode. I've learned how to hold and use a camera so most people don't know I'm using one.

Example: In a watering hole in Bar Harbor, Maine, set the camera for hyperfocal distance and hid it under my hat on the table. Used a remote to trip the shutter as I sipped a beer. One person heard the shutter but my TLR was sitting in front of me and I 'was' drinking a beer.

No matter how fast I go, there's always someone slower in front of me.
12 years 10 months ago #80779 by ChrisPenn

effron wrote:

Armon Photos wrote: When you are out and about wanting to take pictures, do you find yourself not doing as good as you should (shooting the subject, getting correct exposure etc..) due to worrying about what others around you will think? (will people think I am photographing them? or maybe the camera makes me look stupid) etc..

Have no worries at all?

12 years 10 months ago #80781 by ChrisPenn

icepics wrote: I got used to it. When I was taking pictures for marketing for a local minor league team, people would look at me, look in the direction I was facing (like why would I be looking at some signage instead of the game?? LOL). Then they'd watch the game and ignore me... after awhile people got used to seeing me there and the apparent novelty of a woman photographer at a sporting event wore off. Except for the occasional wave or hamming it up for the camera - but that gave me a great crowd shot once that got used in one of their brochures.

I think at first I would look at a female photographer shooting sports, wondering what she is up too. But then I would get used to it and probably not take notice she is there.

12 years 10 months ago #80783 by ChrisPenn

ilh2009ky wrote: The only time I worry about people is when their footsteps and/or weight shakes the viewing platform or foot bridge. If I arrive early to catch the best light, I also miss the tour buses which usually come later in the morning. Sometimes I shoot in between tour bus arrivals.

Where are you taking pictures, that you mention a foot bridge?

12 years 10 months ago #80795 by icepics
I don't think people paid that much more attention to me at hockey games than they did the guys who were the team photographers; the guys dragging wiring all over the arena for the occasional TV broadcasts were probably much more interesting to watch! Once people get used to seeing you around they don't seem to pay you much attention, guess the novelty wears off.

Sharon
Photo Comments
12 years 10 months ago #80851 by effron

ChrisPenn wrote:

effron wrote:

Have no worries at all?

Only zombies worry me, but not a lot.......:)

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
12 years 10 months ago #80853 by chasrich

effron wrote:

ChrisPenn wrote:

effron wrote:

Have no worries at all?

Only zombies worry me, but not a lot.......:)

Zombies with cameras... ~shudder~

“Amateurs worry about equipment, professionals worry about money, masters worry about light, I just make pictures… ” ~ Vernon Trent

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024