Constructive Criticism

12 years 11 months ago #81249 by Scotty

Baydream wrote:

chasrich wrote:

Scotty wrote: Just to make things clear, I wasn't being negative. Criticism and Critique are fundamental to the process of learning.

I feel like everybody is missing something huge here.

We have a whole sub-section DEDICATED TO THIS. Lets start pushing it, and form a more vibrant community instead of putting all your energy in one thread, that will become extremely difficult to search through/organize.

The bananas be dancing. :banana:

:agree: :goodpost:

The problem is that it's kind of hidden - plus it says display and critique. Lets drop the display and keep those in the gallery and PROMOTE the critique.

That's why I said i'll talk to alex about moving it up :)

When the last candle has been blown out
and the last glass of champagne has been drunk
All that you are left with are the memories and the images-David Cooke.

Photo Comments
The topic has been locked.
12 years 11 months ago #81303 by John Landolfi
There are always many ways of gertting a result. The 50% gray allows you to dodge (black) as well as burn (white). I find that in CS5, the doge/burn tools work fairly well on a small scale. I look forwrd to seeing your edits, and how you did them.

Photo Comments
12 years 11 months ago #81325 by crystal

Scotty wrote: .

Did you know some people think cucumber taste better than pickle?

There is a whole section of the forum, seperated by subject matter...for critique.

It just needs to be moved up more towards the top to get more traffic.[/quote]

:agree: Yup there sure is, which is why I do not understand the reason for this thread to begin with . There is already a critique section. If people want their photos critique post it in there, not in the general Discussion section.
12 years 11 months ago #81327 by crystal

Scotty wrote: Just to make things clear, I wasn't being negative. Criticism and Critique are fundamental to the process of learning.

We have a whole sub-section DEDICATED TO THIS. Lets start pushing it, and form a more vibrant community instead of putting all your energy in one thread, that will become extremely difficult to search through/organize.

:agree: :thumbsup:
12 years 11 months ago #81331 by crystal

Baydream wrote:

chasrich wrote:

The problem is that it's kind of hidden - plus it says display and critique. Lets drop the display and keep those in the gallery and PROMOTE the critique.

I agree about dropping the Display and just keep the critique. I wouldn't say it's hidden, more along the lines that people are too lazy to scroll down a little bit to find the critique section. People have no problem scrolling to maybe reply to a new thread, and to continue to scroll to read each post. But people seem to miss the scrolling to check out the other sections.
12 years 11 months ago #81359 by Trudehell
In my continous attempts at making this tread fishy, here's this morning's effort with the Titteya:

A user friendly computer first requires a friendly user.
Attachments:
12 years 11 months ago - 12 years 11 months ago #81361 by MLKstudios
It became a bit of a blob over there. Add some texture. Does GIMP have a cloning tool?

:)

Matthew L Kees
MLK Studios Photography School
www.MLKstudios.com
[email protected]
"Every artist, was once an amateur"

12 years 11 months ago #81369 by photobod

Trudehell wrote: In my continous attempts at making this tread fishy, here's this morning's effort with the Titteya:

A big improvement Trude well done, yes you could do more but the eye is no longer drawn away from the fish, result.

www.dcimages.org.uk
"A good photograph is one that communicate a fact, touches the heart, leaves the viewer a changed person for having seen it. It is, in a word, effective." - Irving Penn

12 years 11 months ago #81371 by DestinDave
Another way to make the fish pop and still tone down the hotspots on the right.. without losing texture:
Make a new copy layer (ctrl/cmd J)and use Adjustments > Shadow/Highlight.. tweak the levels
Make a new copy layer (ctrl/cmd J) from this one..
Adjustments > Levels.. move the black and gray sliders a bit to the right to darken.. move the white output slider to the left to further darken the bright areas on the right
Add a layer mask to this darkened layer
Choose a fairly large, soft brush, opacity 10-15%. foreground color black, and paint away the dark areas around the fish, the left, and the bottom..
Flatten the image and apply your choice of sharpening method..

Dave Speicher
I thought I wanted a career.. turns out I only wanted paychecks.
dlspeicher.zenfolio.com

12 years 11 months ago #81373 by photobod

crystal wrote:

Baydream wrote:

chasrich wrote:

I agree about dropping the Display and just keep the critique. I wouldn't say it's hidden, more along the lines that people are too lazy to scroll down a little bit to find the critique section. People have no problem scrolling to maybe reply to a new thread, and to continue to scroll to read each post. But people seem to miss the scrolling to check out the other sections.

I agree with improving sections of this forum. its called progress, but the threads belong to the people and if they want to make a thread, why not, it will live or die by its own content as do all threads, I just dont understand where people get off telling someone there thread is pointless or a waste of time, isnt this forum noted for its friendliness, lets not lose that please.

www.dcimages.org.uk
"A good photograph is one that communicate a fact, touches the heart, leaves the viewer a changed person for having seen it. It is, in a word, effective." - Irving Penn

12 years 11 months ago - 12 years 11 months ago #81375 by MLKstudios
Well spoken David! We're all adults here. All that is required is we treat each other with a wee bit of respect.

Matthew :)

Matthew L Kees
www.MLKstudios.com
[email protected]

12 years 11 months ago #81385 by Trudehell
In my own stumblin' way to a Town Called Progress, I see the blobby result in my last post - and have made yet another edit.

Thanks to DestinDave - I'll give your recipie a go too!

Attachments:
12 years 11 months ago - 12 years 11 months ago #81389 by MLKstudios
Too far. Go back and just add a few lines (some texture) to the blob.

Maybe take a step or two back and look at it again.

Matthew L Kees
www.MLKstudios.com
[email protected]

12 years 11 months ago #81393 by Trudehell

MLKstudios wrote: Too far. Go back and just add a few lines (some texture) to the blob.

Maybe take a step or two back and look at it again.

Here's what happened when I followed DestinDave's advice. This should - I think - be considered taking a step back.

(Damn these high heels! :rofl: )

Attachments:
12 years 11 months ago #81395 by MLKstudios
That looks natural. Well done!

Matthew L Kees
www.MLKstudios.com
[email protected]

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Olympus Pen E-P7 is an affordable micro four thirds mirrorless camera with 4K video capabilities, a 20.3MP sensor, and 121 focus points, making it a solid entry-level camera for beginners.

May 13, 2024

The Panasonic G9 II is a 25.2-megapixel micro four thirds camera with numerous features that make it punch out of its weight class, like 779 AF points, 5.8K video, and weather sealing.

May 10, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The best photography jobs right now are a mix of tried-and-true gigs like wedding photography and new jobs highlighting AI’s capabilities, travel, and videography.

May 15, 2024

The Olympus Pen E-P7 is an affordable micro four thirds mirrorless camera with 4K video capabilities, a 20.3MP sensor, and 121 focus points, making it a solid entry-level camera for beginners.

May 13, 2024

Starting a photography business is one thing; sustaining your business over a long period of time is another. Use the tips in this professional photography guide to build something with longevity!

May 13, 2024

The Panasonic G9 II is a 25.2-megapixel micro four thirds camera with numerous features that make it punch out of its weight class, like 779 AF points, 5.8K video, and weather sealing.

May 10, 2024

Cinematic photography is an interesting genre that combines photographic and videographic skills along with effective storytelling techniques. The result? Highly impactful images!

May 09, 2024

Newborn photography requires skill, the right gear, and a lot of patience. This beginner’s guide discusses critical topics that will help you be more prepared for before, during, and after the shoot.

May 08, 2024

To fill the frame means to expand the footprint of the subject in your shot. Get in close, zoom in, crop the image, or use other techniques to bring the subject to the forefront.

May 06, 2024

With these simple yet effective beginner photography tips, you can avoid some of the common mistakes beginners make and get improved results with your images.

May 06, 2024