Purpose of locking the camera's mirror?

12 years 11 months ago #82719 by Rockin Joe
I saw someone using the term "locking the mirror" today and not 100% why you would do this? They referenced macro and cutting down vibration, but still how much vibration can be created from the camera's shutter system or mirror?

12 years 11 months ago #82723 by cod
One can get perfectly good images without locking up the mirror, but if you are really after consistent, absolutely tack sharp images then every bit of vibration reduction helps. Locking up the mirror to eliminate any vibration when it slaps up makes a difference, as does using a cable release, good tripod technique and similar. In macro shooting, everything is magnified, including every little flaw and vibration. It's all about good technique. One can argue about the effectiveness of individual elements but the photographer who consistently uses those elements together will consistently get sharper shots.

Regards,
Chris

Chris O'Donoghue
Winnipeg, Canada
codonoghue.prosite.com

12 years 11 months ago - 12 years 11 months ago #82765 by Henry Peach
Vibration from mirror slap is more of a problem in the 1 sec to 1/60th sec shutter speed range. On bigger, long focal length lenses I can often clearly see a double image/edge when shooting at 1/15 or 1/30 on a tripod without mirror lock up.
12 years 11 months ago #82773 by Screamin Scott

Henry Peach wrote: Vibration from mirror slap is more of a problem in the 1 sec to 1/60th sec shutter speed range. On bigger, long focal length lenses I can often clearly see a double image/edge when shooting at 1/15 or 1/30 on a tripod without mirror lock up.

+1 on Matt's answer...Bear in mind though that not all cameras have a mirror lock up function. Some only have it for sensor cleaning. It's normally the high end cameras that do have a true mirror lock up

Scott Ditzel Photography

www.flickr.com/photos/screaminscott/

Photo Comments
12 years 11 months ago #82775 by Henry Peach
Some cameras include it in the timer feature.
12 years 11 months ago #83021 by Rockin Joe

Henry Peach wrote: Vibration from mirror slap is more of a problem in the 1 sec to 1/60th sec shutter speed range. On bigger, long focal length lenses I can often clearly see a double image/edge when shooting at 1/15 or 1/30 on a tripod without mirror lock up.

OK, I'll bite. Why is that?

12 years 11 months ago #83037 by Henry Peach

Rockin Joe wrote: OK, I'll bite. Why is that?

I'm no engineer, but I think it's because at faster shutter speeds everything happens too quickly for it to be a problem, and at slower shutter speeds the vibration doesn't last long enough compared to most of the exposure. For instance if the mirror slap causes a vibration that lasts 1/15th a sec (I'm just guessing), it wouldn't expose significantly in that time compared to the whole 4 seconds of exposure; the vibration only lasts 1/60th of the entire exposure time. But if the shutter speed is 1/8th, then the vibration lasts for 1/2 the exposure.

Mirror slap may reduce sharpness at any shutter speed, but it's in the range mentioned above that I most often can see a clear double image (when pixel peeping).

If you google "mirror slap" and check out the images you'll see some examples. Cameras with large focal plane shutters, such as the Pentax 67, can even exhibit the same effect from shutter bounce. The second curtain of the shutter is big enough that when it slams to a stop it can vibrate the camera. This also is mainly only a problem in the same sort of shutter speed range.
12 years 11 months ago #83045 by Rockin Joe

Henry Peach wrote:

Rockin Joe wrote: OK, I'll bite. Why is that?

I'm no engineer, but I think it's because at faster shutter speeds everything happens too quickly for it to be a problem, and at slower shutter speeds the vibration doesn't last long enough compared to most of the exposure. For instance if the mirror slap causes a vibration that lasts 1/15th a sec (I'm just guessing), it wouldn't expose significantly in that time compared to the whole 4 seconds of exposure; the vibration only lasts 1/60th of the entire exposure time. But if the shutter speed is 1/8th, then the vibration lasts for 1/2 the exposure.

Mirror slap may reduce sharpness at any shutter speed, but it's in the range mentioned above that I most often can see a clear double image (when pixel peeping).

If you google "mirror slap" and check out the images you'll see some examples. Cameras with large focal plane shutters, such as the Pentax 67, can even exhibit the same effect from shutter bounce. The second curtain of the shutter is big enough that when it slams to a stop it can vibrate the camera. This also is mainly only a problem in the same sort of shutter speed range.

Crystal clear now, thanks for the help in understanding this :beerbang:

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Olympus Pen E-P7 is an affordable micro four thirds mirrorless camera with 4K video capabilities, a 20.3MP sensor, and 121 focus points, making it a solid entry-level camera for beginners.

May 13, 2024

The Panasonic G9 II is a 25.2-megapixel micro four thirds camera with numerous features that make it punch out of its weight class, like 779 AF points, 5.8K video, and weather sealing.

May 10, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The best photography jobs right now are a mix of tried-and-true gigs like wedding photography and new jobs highlighting AI’s capabilities, travel, and videography.

May 15, 2024

The Olympus Pen E-P7 is an affordable micro four thirds mirrorless camera with 4K video capabilities, a 20.3MP sensor, and 121 focus points, making it a solid entry-level camera for beginners.

May 13, 2024

Starting a photography business is one thing; sustaining your business over a long period of time is another. Use the tips in this professional photography guide to build something with longevity!

May 13, 2024

The Panasonic G9 II is a 25.2-megapixel micro four thirds camera with numerous features that make it punch out of its weight class, like 779 AF points, 5.8K video, and weather sealing.

May 10, 2024

Cinematic photography is an interesting genre that combines photographic and videographic skills along with effective storytelling techniques. The result? Highly impactful images!

May 09, 2024

Newborn photography requires skill, the right gear, and a lot of patience. This beginner’s guide discusses critical topics that will help you be more prepared for before, during, and after the shoot.

May 08, 2024

To fill the frame means to expand the footprint of the subject in your shot. Get in close, zoom in, crop the image, or use other techniques to bring the subject to the forefront.

May 06, 2024

With these simple yet effective beginner photography tips, you can avoid some of the common mistakes beginners make and get improved results with your images.

May 06, 2024