Do you use any props for your engagement or senior portrait shoots?

12 years 11 months ago #83003 by Francis
I was just looking at others engagement photos and some senior photos and notice not much of props are used by most. Now is that due to the awkwardness of lugging a bench to a secluded beach? Or is it just a shortage of time by photographers?

Photo Comments
12 years 11 months ago #83009 by kyclover237
I try to incorporate items that are in the area that can add to the photo instead of using props. Makes it look more natural and it usually fits in the surroundings.

vintagecloverphoto.com
[email protected]

12 years 11 months ago #83011 by Rob pix4u2
If on location shooting it's a matter of how much gear do you want to bring? After the background, stands, lighting, etc for me it is too much hassle to bring props along depending on the shoot . If I'm in a location where I have a nice wooded area or something similar I don't even bother with the background.

Remember to engage brain before putting mouth in gear
Rob Huelsman Sr.
My Facebook www.facebook.com/ImaginACTIONPhotography

12 years 11 months ago #83017 by Johnnie
If I am in the studio, I will use props. When I am doing environmental shoots I do not unless the client wants some sort of sports look, use there car etc - you get the idea. I do a combo of both for a Senior, studio and environmental.

12 years 11 months ago - 12 years 11 months ago #83023 by MLKstudios
If you were doing a "lifestyle" shoot for a magazine, and had a bunch of grips helping you, then yes, you would "build a set" if needed. However, many photographers work alone or with a single assistant, so it would be a lot of work.

Any good photographer should be able to find things around them to make the background more interesting and get the models/clients to emote. Those are the keys to good "environmental photography".

Matthew :)

PS Francis, I have to know... is that avatar a picture of YOU?

Matthew L Kees
MLK Studios Photography School
www.MLKstudios.com
[email protected]
"Every artist, was once an amateur"

12 years 11 months ago #83031 by Francis

MLKstudios wrote: If you were doing a "lifestyle" shoot for a magazine, and had a bunch of grips helping you, then yes, you would "build a set" if needed. However, many photographers work alone or with a single assistant, so it would be a lot of work.

Any good photographer should be able to find things around them to make the background more interesting and get the models/clients to emote. Those are the keys to good "environmental photography".

Well it's not a matter of finding something interesting. A red contemporary sofa in middle of a wooded area or wheat field would have a eye catching effect and show a different type of photo then one with out. ;)

And no my avatar isn't me, actually it's a private joke between myself and wife who found this image and claims it's my twin brother in another life time. :rofl: :rofl:

Photo Comments
12 years 11 months ago #83063 by MLKstudios
The sofa in the woods, old chair on the railroad tracks, etc. has been done many times over and over. Find something new.

I'm a bit disappointed that's NOT you.

:)

Matthew L Kees
www.MLKstudios.com
[email protected]

12 years 11 months ago #83189 by Henry Peach
I encourage people to bring things that are important to them. Mostly it's been pets, vehicles, and musical instruments. I'll use anything on site that works for the photo. I'm hauling a lightstand in one hand and camera gear in the other, so I don't have room to haul much else.

MLKstudios wrote: The sofa in the woods, old chair on the railroad tracks, etc. has been done many times over and over. Find something new.

People love that stuff. I might not stop to photograph it if I were doing personal work, but if the client indicated they thought it would be neat I'd go for it. Sure it's been done a million times. That's how they've seen it and why they want it. :P I remember once telling a bride-to-be how I liked to experiment and try new things. She told me she didn't want new photos. She wanted photos just like she'd seen in my portfolio, but with her in them. :)
12 years 11 months ago #83211 by MLKstudios
Good point, HP!

:)

Matthew L Kees
www.MLKstudios.com
[email protected]

12 years 11 months ago #83349 by Prago

MLKstudios wrote: If you were doing a "lifestyle" shoot for a magazine, and had a bunch of grips helping you, then yes, you would "build a set" if needed. However, many photographers work alone or with a single assistant, so it would be a lot of work.

:agree: yep, I can't see myself trying to carry a sofa to the middle of the woods for any shot! :rofl:

SWM into chainsaws and hockey masks seeks like-minded SWF. No weirdos, please
Photo Comments
12 years 11 months ago #83697 by Francis

Henry Peach wrote: I encourage people to bring things that are important to them. Mostly it's been pets, vehicles, and musical instruments. I'll use anything on site that works for the photo. I'm hauling a lightstand in one hand and camera gear in the other, so I don't have room to haul much else.

MLKstudios wrote: The sofa in the woods, old chair on the railroad tracks, etc. has been done many times over and over. Find something new.

People love that stuff. I might not stop to photograph it if I were doing personal work, but if the client indicated they thought it would be neat I'd go for it. Sure it's been done a million times. That's how they've seen it and why they want it. :P I remember once telling a bride-to-be how I liked to experiment and try new things. She told me she didn't want new photos. She wanted photos just like she'd seen in my portfolio, but with her in them. :)

:goodpost: people get into a comfort zone and become afraid of change

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Olympus Pen E-P7 is an affordable micro four thirds mirrorless camera with 4K video capabilities, a 20.3MP sensor, and 121 focus points, making it a solid entry-level camera for beginners.

May 13, 2024

The Panasonic G9 II is a 25.2-megapixel micro four thirds camera with numerous features that make it punch out of its weight class, like 779 AF points, 5.8K video, and weather sealing.

May 10, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The best photography jobs right now are a mix of tried-and-true gigs like wedding photography and new jobs highlighting AI’s capabilities, travel, and videography.

May 15, 2024

The Olympus Pen E-P7 is an affordable micro four thirds mirrorless camera with 4K video capabilities, a 20.3MP sensor, and 121 focus points, making it a solid entry-level camera for beginners.

May 13, 2024

Starting a photography business is one thing; sustaining your business over a long period of time is another. Use the tips in this professional photography guide to build something with longevity!

May 13, 2024

The Panasonic G9 II is a 25.2-megapixel micro four thirds camera with numerous features that make it punch out of its weight class, like 779 AF points, 5.8K video, and weather sealing.

May 10, 2024

Cinematic photography is an interesting genre that combines photographic and videographic skills along with effective storytelling techniques. The result? Highly impactful images!

May 09, 2024

Newborn photography requires skill, the right gear, and a lot of patience. This beginner’s guide discusses critical topics that will help you be more prepared for before, during, and after the shoot.

May 08, 2024

To fill the frame means to expand the footprint of the subject in your shot. Get in close, zoom in, crop the image, or use other techniques to bring the subject to the forefront.

May 06, 2024

With these simple yet effective beginner photography tips, you can avoid some of the common mistakes beginners make and get improved results with your images.

May 06, 2024