Natural light or Flash???

12 years 10 months ago #90443 by Screamin Scott
I do both, as I'm sure most people do...Shooting macro, the flash allows me to stop down for increased DOF & use of faster shutter speeds...

Scott Ditzel Photography

www.flickr.com/photos/screaminscott/

Photo Comments
12 years 10 months ago #90541 by MLKstudios
Professionally the flash is also used to control contrast (not just for low light). It takes a new way of thinking than an ambient exposure and is really combining two separate exposures at the same time.

Matthew :)

Matthew L Kees
MLK Studios Photography School
www.MLKstudios.com
[email protected]
"Every artist, was once an amateur"

12 years 10 months ago #90567 by mj~shutterbugg

McBeth Photography wrote:

mj~shutterbugg wrote: I am learning and trying to use flash appropriately and still stink with it. I will be looking through those articles as that is why most of my work is natural.

You and me both my friend! We can learn though, right?

Exactly my friend. Exactly. There is always room to learn more!

Think Off-Center ~ George Carlin
www.mjbrennanphoto.com

12 years 10 months ago #92647 by Stealthy Ninja

Baydream wrote:

Stealthy Ninja wrote:

icepics wrote: I haven't used a flash often, have tried the built-in flash on my digital camera a few times but the photo's almost always better without it. Using mostly manual focus SLRs I have a flash but haven't used it in years.

Built in flashes SUCK. Try getting a speedlight and learning how to use it (no offense). :)

Where is that "disagree" emoticon. The built-ins often work well as fill. At times when you get the flash out and mounted, the moment has passed. They do serve to real purpose.

No, they suck. Suck big time. They can be used for crappy fill light in emergencies, but they still suck.
12 years 10 months ago #92651 by Stealthy Ninja

Baydream wrote:

icepics wrote: I have to learn something? Rats. LOL Just like the natural light better most of the time I guess.

Ninja is really a salesman for Nikon so his answers always include "buy something". :rofl:

The need the right tools for the job, that often means buying something you don't have.
12 years 6 months ago #149400 by Katahdin
I would have to agree with most of what's been said. I like natural lighting and attempt to use that most of the time...and true, I really haven't studied (nor do I have the equipment) for flash photography.

12 years 6 months ago #149643 by Garbo
Depends on what I'm shooting and what look I'm after

Nikon D300: 24-70 2.8 | 70-200 2.8 VR |Sigma 150 2.8 | 50 1.4 | SB-800
Photo Comments
12 years 6 months ago #149763 by Filmburn66
Well, I am not ashamed to admit that I haven't understood the use of flash as well as I'd like, and I'm the process of teaching myself. I go back and look at certain photos I've taken in the past that certainly could have benefitted from fill lighting or whatever. Also, selling photos of my own stuff is one thing, but I don't feel comfortable ever getting in a position where a client is paying me to take a photo of, well, anyone or anything, if I don't think I have a basic understanding of whatever tools I might need for the job, including flash. So, I'm learning.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ICUC2
12 years 6 months ago #149861 by ironwoodca
There is no clear cut answer since the situation will determine which works the best.
Sometimes it will be a combination of both

Tony Stapleton

Always ready to learn more

12 years 5 months ago #163236 by Corkster
Natural Lite. Never drank flash. :beerbang:

cheller
12 years 5 months ago #163251 by boriqua latina
I use both natural light and flash... ;)

12 years 5 months ago #163287 by Joves
I am a both user as well. It is just a matter of what the conditions dictate. Also I use reflectors as well when possible.

12 years 2 weeks ago - 12 years 2 weeks ago #217688 by ICUC2
Chris aka COD :goodpost: Thank you for this enlightening (pun intended :P ) link!!

11 years 9 months ago #240509 by pnp
both are good.depend upon situation.if u are professional,try both and which is the best,u decide. natural light is soft and flash is harsh.

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024