Natural light or Flash???

12 years 10 months ago - 12 years 10 months ago #86357 by DavidandJess
I have been shooting weddings and portraits for about 5 years now. I have shot tons of beach weddings, church weddings....
I use natural light probably 80% of the time. I am curious to know what do you prefer Natural or Flash???

12 years 10 months ago #86367 by chasrich
Natural most of the time.

“Amateurs worry about equipment, professionals worry about money, masters worry about light, I just make pictures… ” ~ Vernon Trent
12 years 10 months ago #86369 by photobod
Natural light every time if it was possible but of course it isnt.

www.dcimages.org.uk
"A good photograph is one that communicate a fact, touches the heart, leaves the viewer a changed person for having seen it. It is, in a word, effective." - Irving Penn

12 years 10 months ago #86375 by Johnnie
I use both but prefer Natural Light when possible.

12 years 10 months ago #86491 by cod
I was a natural light "purist" for many years until I finally figured out that the real problem was that I had never really learned to use flash well. What changed my mind was coming across a wealth of articles by photographer Neil van Niekerk on using flash in conjunction with natural light. He is a master at using flash in a way that complements natural light and produces photos that do not look like flash photos at all. The above link is the starting page of a series of articles that have a lot to teach about flash use. Now I use flash a great deal for portraits and functions, producing way better images than I ever had before discovering this resource.

Regards,
Chris

Chris O'Donoghue
Winnipeg, Canada
codonoghue.prosite.com

The following user(s) said Thank You: Cre8tivefix, DavidandJess, sldphotonut, abelmore, blindsidephoto
12 years 10 months ago #86649 by Henry Peach
I usually take advantage of both with weddings and portraits. Sometimes available light looks perfect, or I don't want to use a flash. Most of the time I'm adding flash to the light I find.
12 years 10 months ago #86683 by DestinDave
Natural... but, like Chris stated, only because I haven't learned how to use flash well and because I don't have quality lighting equipment.. for product images I use tungsten lighting but am considering changing to CFL..

Dave Speicher
I thought I wanted a career.. turns out I only wanted paychecks.
dlspeicher.zenfolio.com

12 years 10 months ago #86785 by Kenya See
Good question...natural all the way

Photo Comments
12 years 10 months ago #86835 by John Landolfi
I carry two cxameras: a D3 for natural light exposures, and a D200 with an SB800 flash and Gary Fong Spehere for flash when necessary. Outddors, under trees withj a bright sun seems to make flash ther better choice, unless you get close enought to be in the shadow yourself. Even then the dappled light can make post processing a nightmare without fill flash to allow capturing the sun lit highlights.

Photo Comments
12 years 10 months ago #87453 by No Show
Really depends, if I don't need a flash then natural light all the way. Now if I need a little extra just because or for artistic feel, then flash I go ;)

D300| Nikkor 24-70mm 2.8 | Nikkor 70-200mm VR 2.8 | Nikkor 50mm 1.8 | Nikon 2x Teleconverter | Sigma 105mm 2.8 | Tokina 12-24
Photo Comments
12 years 10 months ago #87623 by Scotty

cod wrote: I was a natural light "purist" for many years until I finally figured out that the real problem was that I had never really learned to use flash well. What changed my mind was coming across a wealth of articles by photographer Neil van Niekerk on using flash in conjunction with natural light. He is a master at using flash in a way that complements natural light and produces photos that do not look like flash photos at all. The above link is the starting page of a series of articles that have a lot to teach about flash use. Now I use flash a great deal for portraits and functions, producing way better images than I ever had before discovering this resource.

Regards,
Chris

I use natural light, because i'm not as good at strobes as I wish I was...going to take a look into this. Thanks.

When the last candle has been blown out
and the last glass of champagne has been drunk
All that you are left with are the memories and the images-David Cooke.

Photo Comments
12 years 10 months ago #87641 by haggis
Natural light is my first choice however when needs dictate then fill flash is your friend.

If there's a 50-50 chance of getting it right there's a 90% chance you'll get it wrong!
12 years 10 months ago #87655 by McBeth Photography

Scotty wrote:

cod wrote: I was a natural light "purist" for many years until I finally figured out that the real problem was that I had never really learned to use flash well. What changed my mind was coming across a wealth of articles by photographer Neil van Niekerk on using flash in conjunction with natural light. He is a master at using flash in a way that complements natural light and produces photos that do not look like flash photos at all. The above link is the starting page of a series of articles that have a lot to teach about flash use. Now I use flash a great deal for portraits and functions, producing way better images than I ever had before discovering this resource.

Regards,
Chris

I use natural light, because i'm not as good at strobes as I wish I was...going to take a look into this. Thanks.

Ditto.

It is what it is.
12 years 10 months ago - 12 years 10 months ago #88033 by Stealthy Ninja
As cod alluded to above (and I'll be more blunt saying).

A lot of people who say they "prefer natural light" usually don't know how to use flash/artificial light properly.

Probably sticking their Gary Fong products on top of their flashes and bouncing the light all over the place (waste) and not thinking about direction and softness.

Light is our paint. Learn to use it.

If I offended... here's the smiley face to make it all better---> :)

P.S. I'll use the light most suitable for the job sometimes it's fine to use natural lighting... sometimes it's even better. But I'll use artificial as much as I can when I'm doing something serious. More control.
The following user(s) said Thank You: mj~shutterbugg
12 years 10 months ago #88061 by photobod

Stealthy Ninja wrote: As cod alluded to above (and I'll be more blunt saying).

A lot of people who say they "prefer natural light" usually don't know how to use flash/artificial light properly.

Probably sticking their Gary Fong products on top of their flashes and bouncing the light all over the place (waste) and not thinking about direction and softness.

Light is our paint. Learn to use it.

If I offended... here's the smiley face to make it all better---> :)

P.S. I'll use the light most suitable for the job sometimes it's fine to use natural lighting... sometimes it's even better. But I'll use artificial as much as I can when I'm doing something serious. More control.

Why on earth would anyone be offended by you Adrian, :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: I agree with everything you have just said, darn it that was hard to say :toocrazy: :toocrazy: :toocrazy:

www.dcimages.org.uk
"A good photograph is one that communicate a fact, touches the heart, leaves the viewer a changed person for having seen it. It is, in a word, effective." - Irving Penn

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Urban photography is a genre showcasing features in urban settings. You can photograph people, architecture, mass transit, and many other subjects. Learn how to do so in this guide!

Apr 30, 2024

The Nikon D850 might be an older DSLR, but it was ahead of its time when it debuted in 2017. That means it still has plenty of firepower to compete with today’s powerful mirrorless cameras.

Apr 30, 2024

The best beginner camera isn’t the same for everyone. That means having choice is of the utmost importance. In this guide, explore five excellent beginner camera options for 2024 and beyond.

Apr 25, 2024

Child portrait photography is a unique undertaking requiring special skills and talents to get the best results. Start mastering this photography niche with these essential tips!

Apr 25, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024