Natural light or Flash???

12 years 10 months ago #88071 by Stealthy Ninja

photobod wrote:

Stealthy Ninja wrote: As cod alluded to above (and I'll be more blunt saying).

A lot of people who say they "prefer natural light" usually don't know how to use flash/artificial light properly.

Probably sticking their Gary Fong products on top of their flashes and bouncing the light all over the place (waste) and not thinking about direction and softness.

Light is our paint. Learn to use it.

If I offended... here's the smiley face to make it all better---> :)

P.S. I'll use the light most suitable for the job sometimes it's fine to use natural lighting... sometimes it's even better. But I'll use artificial as much as I can when I'm doing something serious. More control.

Why on earth would anyone be offended by you Adrian, :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: I agree with everything you have just said, darn it that was hard to say :toocrazy: :toocrazy: :toocrazy:

:blink: :blink: :blink: :blink: :blink: :blink: :blink: :blink:
12 years 10 months ago #89383 by Alex
Really depends on the situation. Most times outside it's all natural, or unless I'm trying to be creative. Then when I'm inside it's all about the flash. Really depends.

Thank you for making PhotographyTalk.com your photography community of choice.
Photo Comments
12 years 10 months ago #89559 by Rawley Photos

Alex wrote: Really depends on the situation. Most times outside it's all natural, or unless I'm trying to be creative. Then when I'm inside it's all about the flash. Really depends.

:agree:

Photo Comments
12 years 10 months ago #89617 by icepics
I haven't used a flash often, have tried the built-in flash on my digital camera a few times but the photo's almost always better without it. Using mostly manual focus SLRs I have a flash but haven't used it in years.

Sharon
Photo Comments
12 years 10 months ago #90057 by Stealthy Ninja

icepics wrote: I haven't used a flash often, have tried the built-in flash on my digital camera a few times but the photo's almost always better without it. Using mostly manual focus SLRs I have a flash but haven't used it in years.

Built in flashes SUCK. Try getting a speedlight and learning how to use it (no offense). :)
12 years 10 months ago #90081 by icepics
I have to learn something? Rats. LOL Just like the natural light better most of the time I guess.

Sharon
Photo Comments
12 years 10 months ago #90091 by Stealthy Ninja

icepics wrote: I have to learn something? Rats. LOL Just like the natural light better most of the time I guess.

What camera do you have? Ricoh?!
12 years 10 months ago #90095 by Shadowfixer1
I almost always use flash outdoors to blend natural light with flash. I set my strobe to -1.3 or -1.7 EV. I like the results. Here is an example using -1.3 EV.

12 years 10 months ago #90231 by icepics
Ninj, I have my old faithful Ricoh SLR that's had a number of run-ins w/concrete and hockey pucks etc. and a new digital Ricoh GXR. Have a Konica SLR, and a Pentax; a Konica rangefinder in need of repair and just bought a Voigtlander that I haven't used yet but it's a beauty. And various old cameras just for fun.

Shadowfixer, nice photo, I can see how a flash brightened up the subjects which have great color. I'm finding that there are ways you can use flash that I haven't tried.

Sharon
Photo Comments
12 years 10 months ago #90253 by mj~shutterbugg
I am learning and trying to use flash appropriately and still stink with it. I will be looking through those articles as that is why most of my work is natural.

Think Off-Center ~ George Carlin
www.mjbrennanphoto.com

12 years 10 months ago #90289 by Stealthy Ninja

icepics wrote: Ninj, I have my old faithful Ricoh SLR that's had a number of run-ins w/concrete and hockey pucks etc. and a new digital Ricoh GXR. Have a Konica SLR, and a Pentax; a Konica rangefinder in need of repair and just bought a Voigtlander that I haven't used yet but it's a beauty. And various old cameras just for fun.

Shadowfixer, nice photo, I can see how a flash brightened up the subjects which have great color. I'm finding that there are ways you can use flash that I haven't tried.

Can you get a flash for it?!
12 years 10 months ago #90303 by icepics
The Ricoh digital has a built-in flash and a hotshoe that right now I'm using for an external viewfinder (that I haven't used as much as I thought but made for an easier transition to digital) and is useful to shoot at odd angles as it pivots up and down. Any of my SLR's or rangefinders have hotshoes.

Sharon
Photo Comments
12 years 10 months ago #90337 by McBeth Photography

mj~shutterbugg wrote: I am learning and trying to use flash appropriately and still stink with it. I will be looking through those articles as that is why most of my work is natural.

You and me both my friend! We can learn though, right?

It is what it is.
12 years 10 months ago #90395 by Baydream

Stealthy Ninja wrote:

icepics wrote: I haven't used a flash often, have tried the built-in flash on my digital camera a few times but the photo's almost always better without it. Using mostly manual focus SLRs I have a flash but haven't used it in years.

Built in flashes SUCK. Try getting a speedlight and learning how to use it (no offense). :)

Where is that "disagree" emoticon. The built-ins often work well as fill. At times when you get the flash out and mounted, the moment has passed. They do serve to real purpose.

Shoot, learn and share. It will make you a better photographer.
fineartamerica.com/profiles/john-g-schickler.html?tab=artwork

Photo Comments
12 years 10 months ago #90397 by Baydream

icepics wrote: I have to learn something? Rats. LOL Just like the natural light better most of the time I guess.

Ninja is really a salesman for Nikon so his answers always include "buy something". :rofl:

Shoot, learn and share. It will make you a better photographer.
fineartamerica.com/profiles/john-g-schickler.html?tab=artwork

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Urban photography is a genre showcasing features in urban settings. You can photograph people, architecture, mass transit, and many other subjects. Learn how to do so in this guide!

Apr 30, 2024

The Nikon D850 might be an older DSLR, but it was ahead of its time when it debuted in 2017. That means it still has plenty of firepower to compete with today’s powerful mirrorless cameras.

Apr 30, 2024

The best beginner camera isn’t the same for everyone. That means having choice is of the utmost importance. In this guide, explore five excellent beginner camera options for 2024 and beyond.

Apr 25, 2024

Child portrait photography is a unique undertaking requiring special skills and talents to get the best results. Start mastering this photography niche with these essential tips!

Apr 25, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024