Question for you more seasoned photographers

13 years 4 months ago #9423 by KenMan
I just signed up here today and have been pretty much on this site all day reading and looking around. I have to say many of you have some pretty nice photos in the gallery. I was curious are most of you self taught or did you go to photography school of some sort?

Photo Comments
13 years 4 months ago #9425 by Scotty
Self taught.

When the last candle has been blown out
and the last glass of champagne has been drunk
All that you are left with are the memories and the images-David Cooke.

Photo Comments
13 years 4 months ago #9427 by Mah and PaH
Self taught with a ton of books and just getting out there. But still no pro

13 years 4 months ago #9428 by Ziggy
Another vote for self taught. I wouldn't mind taking one of those online courses on some of the more advance photography topics.

Photo Comments
13 years 4 months ago #9431 by KenMan
So would any of you suggest a online school for a late bloomer?

Photo Comments
13 years 4 months ago #9433 by Yasko
Self taught.

Even the best courses can't touch what raw experience will teach you. Put way more time in the field actually taking pictures and taking notes than in the classroom.

13 years 4 months ago #9440 by Rob pix4u2
Again self taught. take your camera literally everywhere you go and shoot everything that touches your vision. Don't be afraid to ask people if you can photograph them or ask for permission to get yourself experience. I asked the owner of our local hockey team if I could have permission to be in the press area to shoot in 1993 and now I have been a writer/photographer for the online hockey magazine www.prohockeynews.com since 1996. I have gained experience and have been hired by people just because I had a camera across my shoulder in public-the owner of a kids sports photography company saw me at the photo finishers with my camera and asked if I would be interested in shooting for him. I have had great opportunities open up simply because I had a camera with me at the time. not to mention the pix you get simply due to the fact that I was in the right place at the right time with the right equipment. Hope this inspires you to become more of a serious shooter and gain experience with your camera . Happy shooting !

Remember to engage brain before putting mouth in gear
Rob Huelsman Sr.
My Facebook www.facebook.com/ImaginACTIONPhotography

Attachments:
13 years 4 months ago #9445 by Karl Wertanen
self taught. was alot of fun too
13 years 4 months ago #9504 by Fugler
I have a stack of books in my home office on all sorts of photography related topics

Photo Comments
13 years 4 months ago #9523 by Joves
Been shooting since I was nine years old on and off. So self taught with some pointer from critiques from my grandfather.

13 years 4 months ago #9526 by Scuba Mike

Joves wrote: Been shooting since I was nine years old on and off. So self taught with some pointer from critiques from my grandfather.

Was your grandfather a professional photographer?

Photo Comments
13 years 4 months ago #9537 by Screamin Scott
Pretty much self taught although I did take a correspondence course back in the early 1970's...Learned more by just trial & error shooting than the course ever taught me.

Scott Ditzel Photography

www.flickr.com/photos/screaminscott/

Photo Comments
13 years 4 months ago - 13 years 4 months ago #9539 by Joves

Scuba Mike wrote:

Joves wrote: Been shooting since I was nine years old on and off. So self taught with some pointer from critiques from my grandfather.

Nope just an old shooter. My aunt though did critques as well and she taught it at college and had been published in National Audubon a few times.

13 years 4 months ago #9565 by KenMan

Joves wrote:

Scuba Mike wrote:

Nope just an old shooter. My aunt though did critques as well and she taught it at college and had been published in National Audubon a few times.

Pretty cool stuff there ;)

Photo Comments
13 years 4 months ago #9568 by Scotty

Joves wrote:

Scuba Mike wrote:

Always a pleasure to continue a tradition in family.

When the last candle has been blown out
and the last glass of champagne has been drunk
All that you are left with are the memories and the images-David Cooke.

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Urban photography is a genre showcasing features in urban settings. You can photograph people, architecture, mass transit, and many other subjects. Learn how to do so in this guide!

Apr 30, 2024

The Nikon D850 might be an older DSLR, but it was ahead of its time when it debuted in 2017. That means it still has plenty of firepower to compete with today’s powerful mirrorless cameras.

Apr 30, 2024

The best beginner camera isn’t the same for everyone. That means having choice is of the utmost importance. In this guide, explore five excellent beginner camera options for 2024 and beyond.

Apr 25, 2024

Child portrait photography is a unique undertaking requiring special skills and talents to get the best results. Start mastering this photography niche with these essential tips!

Apr 25, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024