Lost Images

12 years 10 months ago #95821 by Cowboybebop
On Fathers Day I lost all my images on my external hard drive:ohmy: ,all I did was click the box to compress the c drive on my computer and every image that was in the external vanished.I am dumb founded :S I'm trying a program called ZAR 9 and its been running for over 21 hours with no results has this happen to any of you good people?I'll never compress a c drive again,I just wish I can get my images back a lot of hours went into some of these photos

May the Good Lord Bless you .
12 years 10 months ago #95825 by Graflex 4x5
I've had good results with a program called Testdisk 6.12. It's a freebe and small enough to run from a flash drive. It's linux based and runs from a command line.

Good luck with your recovery.

No matter how fast I go, there's always someone slower in front of me.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cowboybebop
12 years 10 months ago #95829 by effron
I hope you can recover your images, but there is a lesson here to not be wasted. Back up to at least two sources, one off site. Best of luck.............:(

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
12 years 10 months ago #96073 by kcphotography
this has happend to me :angry: i use a programm called JPEG recovery pro 3 and it worked fine for me getting most of my images back.

i now have a few external hard drives for my photos :)

12 years 10 months ago #96125 by crystal
Did you check your recycle bin for those lost pictures?
12 years 10 months ago #96669 by Cowboybebop

Cowboybebop wrote: On Fathers Day I lost all my images on my external hard drive:ohmy: ,all I did was click the box to compress the c drive on my computer and every image that was in the external vanished.I am dumb founded :S I'm trying a program called ZAR 9 and its been running for over 21 hours with no results has this happen to any of you good people?I'll never compress a c drive again,I just wish I can get my images back a lot of hours went into some of these photos

I got some good new,I did manage to get back most of my raw images:woohoo:

12 years 10 months ago #96671 by Baydream

Cowboybebop wrote:

Cowboybebop wrote: On Fathers Day I lost all my images on my external hard drive:ohmy: ,all I did was click the box to compress the c drive on my computer and every image that was in the external vanished.I am dumb founded :S I'm trying a program called ZAR 9 and its been running for over 21 hours with no results has this happen to any of you good people?I'll never compress a c drive again,I just wish I can get my images back a lot of hours went into some of these photos

:judge:

Shoot, learn and share. It will make you a better photographer.
fineartamerica.com/profiles/john-g-schickler.html?tab=artwork

Photo Comments
12 years 10 months ago #96685 by chasrich

Baydream wrote:

Cowboybebop wrote:

:judge:

:woohoo: Now go make a back up quick... :thumbsup:

“Amateurs worry about equipment, professionals worry about money, masters worry about light, I just make pictures… ” ~ Vernon Trent
12 years 8 months ago #126524 by Cowboybebop
That I will :cheer:

12 years 8 months ago - 12 years 8 months ago #126526 by MLKstudios
Re: Lost Images 1 month, 3 weeks ago

" Now go make a back up quick... " ;)

Matthew L Kees
MLK Studios Photography School
www.MLKstudios.com
[email protected]
"Every artist, was once an amateur"

12 years 8 months ago - 12 years 8 months ago #126550 by Jamie
Just want to say, I've been there...the "great computer crash of 2004" and I had nothing backed-up. Here's pretty much how I felt, in the correct order of emoticons:
:unsure: :ohmy: :woohoo: :sick:

Yes, we learn our lessons the hard way, but it doesn't make it any better. I never tried to get anything back, but I saved the drive. If you have success, please let us know. Best of luck!

PhotographyTalk Users enjoy 15% OFF at www.photobacks.com !
Use: PHT843 at checkout!

12 years 8 months ago #126594 by chasrich

MLKstudios wrote: Re: Lost Images 1 month, 3 weeks ago

" Now go make a back up quick... " ;)

Did I word it too strongly? I started to go with really quick... :rofl:

“Amateurs worry about equipment, professionals worry about money, masters worry about light, I just make pictures… ” ~ Vernon Trent
12 years 8 months ago #126597 by The Time Capturer
I use a program called Nucleus Kernal. It too has been a life saver, not for images, but for other files on a corrupt external hard drive. I actually have a failed hard drive that I need to process right now. I'm waiting for an enclosure to arrive in the mail so I can hook it up as an external and not cause the computer to have another stroke. There isn't anything super important on there but I have some animations that I created and updated "daily" files that I'd like to recover if I could.

I'm a file hoarder and it's always upsetting to lose things, important or not.

Sure, practice makes perfect but, unless you learn from your mistakes, you are only perfecting your ability to fail.

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024