settings question

12 years 10 months ago #96307 by U8Later
Okay, I just wanna know, what to use when taking snapshots, as for example, at a party. I usually use Manual (as I am trying to learn) but I just hate how tedious it is to change every time I want to shoot something else. so that said, I just want to know, what is the correct one to use? I'm thinking of aperture priority but it'll mean that it'll choose a shallow dof right? I tried that while taking pictures of 3 or more people and the dof of my f/1.8 was so shallow that only one person was focused then again it might be really their distances next to each other. I don't know if I did it right or it was just that once that it's not supposed to be like that. I'm not quite sure. So that being said, what should I use? Should I...use auto instead?

12 years 10 months ago #96311 by Dori
I use 'auto' or one of the appropriate 'presets'.

Don't pi$$ me off, I am running out of room to store the bodies...

Resident Texasotan...

12 years 10 months ago - 12 years 10 months ago #96313 by MLKstudios
Use P and an "on-camera" flash if you got one. That'll give you the DOF you need.

P is for Professional pictures. j/k but it works.

;)

Matthew L Kees
MLK Studios Photography School
www.MLKstudios.com
[email protected]
"Every artist, was once an amateur"

12 years 10 months ago #96317 by Henry Peach

U8Later wrote: I usually use Manual (as I am trying to learn) but I just hate how tedious it is to change every time I want to shoot something else.

Unless the lighting changes the exposure remains the same. Your in-camera meter changes because the tones in front of you change, but that doesn't mean the exposure needs to change.

U8Later wrote: I'm thinking of aperture priority but it'll mean that it'll choose a shallow dof right?

You can choose whatever aperture you want. If f/1.8 has too shallow DOF, then try f/4 or f/5.6.

I prefer manual when shooting parties and events myself. I usually set it for the room lighting, and rarely have to change it.
12 years 10 months ago #96325 by Kris4pics
I almost always shoot in Aperture Priority mode. You get to choose the aperture and control the depth of field. You just have to keep an eye on the shutter speed to make sure that you aren't dipping low enough to start getting motion blur/camera shake.

The reason why at f/1.8 you were getting a SUPER shallow depth of field is because the wider the aperture is (smaller f/stop numbers) the shallower the depth of field is. f/1.8 is pretty much as wide open as the aperture gets. You could put it in Aperture Priority mode and then dial in a smaller aperture than f/1.8 and get a deeper depth of field.

12 years 10 months ago #96327 by U8Later

MLKstudios wrote: Use P and an "on-camera" flash if you got one. That'll give you the DOF you need.

;)

The flash will give me the DOF I need?

12 years 10 months ago #96365 by Rob pix4u2
No the flash will freeze any motion but I would use the old photojournalist axiom " F 8 and Be There " to guarantee the proper DOF rather than F 1.8 and only a part of your scene in focus

Remember to engage brain before putting mouth in gear
Rob Huelsman Sr.
My Facebook www.facebook.com/ImaginACTIONPhotography

12 years 10 months ago #96429 by Baydream
Play around with the A-DEP setting. It picks aperture to try to maximize DoF. It would be a fun experiment.

Shoot, learn and share. It will make you a better photographer.
fineartamerica.com/profiles/john-g-schickler.html?tab=artwork

Photo Comments
12 years 10 months ago #97221 by fixedimage
While yes shooting on manuel can be tedious it is the best way to master your camera and exposure. Practice make perfect. The more you work in manual mode the easier it will become. Your cameras meter can only do so much.

After some practice it will come to you naturally like driving a car with a stick shift.
12 years 10 months ago #97245 by chasrich
Oops! I just blew the clutch in my camera... Man did it lay down some rubber though. :rofl:

“Amateurs worry about equipment, professionals worry about money, masters worry about light, I just make pictures… ” ~ Vernon Trent
12 years 10 months ago #98309 by MLKstudios

U8Later wrote:

MLKstudios wrote: Use P and an "on-camera" flash if you got one. That'll give you the DOF you need.

;)

The flash will give me the DOF I need?

By adding flash light, you can use a smaller aperture which adds to your DOF.

Matthew :)

Matthew L Kees
MLK Studios Photography School
www.MLKstudios.com
[email protected]
"Every artist, was once an amateur"

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024