HELP - dont laugh

12 years 10 months ago #98115 by photobod
I bought some extension tubes and was delighted at only paying £8-50 for them, now I know why.

They are stuck on my Lens, have tried everything to get them off, so any suggestions would be great.

I know you are going to laugh just be gentle please and I will start
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

www.dcimages.org.uk
"A good photograph is one that communicate a fact, touches the heart, leaves the viewer a changed person for having seen it. It is, in a word, effective." - Irving Penn

12 years 10 months ago #98141 by icepics
Oh no... Never had something like that happen. Only thing that comes to mind is to try one of those grippers they make to open jars, if you know what I mean - the ones that are like textured soft plastic squares. Maybe that could help you grip it to get it unstuck. But I don't know if it would work or not.

Sharon
Photo Comments
12 years 10 months ago #98147 by Cre8tivefix
Sounds silly, but just in case. Make sure you are pressing the release button. Hope you get it unstuck soon.

12 years 10 months ago #98159 by photobod

Cre8tivefix wrote: Sounds silly, but just in case. Make sure you are pressing the release button. Hope you get it unstuck soon.

I am aware of the Release button but I thank you for trying I know how easy it is to forget simple little things like that when struggling. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

www.dcimages.org.uk
"A good photograph is one that communicate a fact, touches the heart, leaves the viewer a changed person for having seen it. It is, in a word, effective." - Irving Penn

12 years 10 months ago #98165 by chasrich
I'll try and explain the technique... here goes. First get a leather belt or something narrow and thin that you can wrap around the shaft of the tubes. The idea is to give you a grip without deforming the tube itself.. Attempt to turn the tube from say the twelve o'clock spot of the tube then try 2:00, 4:00 6:00... One of these spots will help distort the tube back to the place you used when you snugged them on.

If you have the lens off already or can access the top of the tube try this same technique by using as many contact points as possible to distribute the load and use a jar lid remover type material to ease it off without crushing the circlular tube or distorting it...

Finally remember lefty loosy righty tighty... Did a light bulb go off with that last one? :rofl:

Seriously good luck.

“Amateurs worry about equipment, professionals worry about money, masters worry about light, I just make pictures… ” ~ Vernon Trent
12 years 10 months ago #98169 by chasrich
PS... I had a similar problem with my rings. It did turn out to be the lock. It was not a typical button but more of a latch mechanism. Try pushing from the sides or even lifting the thing.

“Amateurs worry about equipment, professionals worry about money, masters worry about light, I just make pictures… ” ~ Vernon Trent
12 years 10 months ago #98177 by Henry Peach
I'd search for someone else who has had similar problems. Other folks have had to buy the same tubes, and tried them on their lenses.
12 years 10 months ago #98181 by Screamin Scott
David,there is a small opening on the side of the lens where the lock pin drops into place to secure the lens, adapter, tubes or whatever else is mounted. What you need to do is find a very small screwdriver (miniature, like the type for fixing eyeglasses), insert it into that small slot & try to push the release pin down. When you mount a lens, you'll notice that you hear a click as the pin drops into a groove on the mount face. That groove is what you have to locate. If your lens has an aperture ring, the groove is 1/4 of the diameter of the lens away (counterclockwise if you are looking at the mount end of the lens) from the prongs. It is a very small opening, mind you. I had the occasion to have an adaperter stuck on my DSLR & this is how I managed to remove it...If the lens doesn't have an aperture ring (newer G type lenses), it may be a bit more difficult locating this little slot. This is the only way you are going to be able to remove the tubes without damaging them, the lens or both... Let me know if you are able to free them up...

Scott Ditzel Photography

www.flickr.com/photos/screaminscott/

Photo Comments
12 years 10 months ago - 12 years 10 months ago #98199 by chasrich
I found my cheapo tubes. Scott is right about the hole and drop pin. I was right about pushing the button away from the side to lower the lock pin. It is a cheaper mechanism.

12 years 10 months ago #98373 by chasrich
David - what happened?

12 years 10 months ago #98635 by photobod

Screamin Scott wrote: David,there is a small opening on the side of the lens where the lock pin drops into place to secure the lens, adapter, tubes or whatever else is mounted. What you need to do is find a very small screwdriver (miniature, like the type for fixing eyeglasses), insert it into that small slot & try to push the release pin down. When you mount a lens, you'll notice that you hear a click as the pin drops into a groove on the mount face. That groove is what you have to locate. If your lens has an aperture ring, the groove is 1/4 of the diameter of the lens away (counterclockwise if you are looking at the mount end of the lens) from the prongs. It is a very small opening, mind you. I had the occasion to have an adaperter stuck on my DSLR & this is how I managed to remove it...If the lens doesn't have an aperture ring (newer G type lenses), it may be a bit more difficult locating this little slot. This is the only way you are going to be able to remove the tubes without damaging them, the lens or both... Let me know if you are able to free them up...

Thanks John, I did just that about an hour ago but used a pin not a small screwdriver, couldnt get straight online as I had visitors (yes there are some folk who like me ) :rofl: the release pin had jammed in place so once I got it off I sprayed a drop of DW40 into the hole and it is now working perfectly, I also managed to get a piece of tissue into the gap to soak up any exess liquid so it doesnt get into the camera.
Thanks for all the suggestions folks.

www.dcimages.org.uk

12 years 10 months ago - 12 years 10 months ago #98811 by Baydream

photobod wrote:

Screamin Scott wrote: David,there is a small opening on the side of the lens where the lock pin drops into place to secure the lens, adapter, tubes or whatever else is mounted. What you need to do is find a very small screwdriver (miniature, like the type for fixing eyeglasses), insert it into that small slot & try to push the release pin down. When you mount a lens, you'll notice that you hear a click as the pin drops into a groove on the mount face. That groove is what you have to locate. If your lens has an aperture ring, the groove is 1/4 of the diameter of the lens away (counterclockwise if you are looking at the mount end of the lens) from the prongs. It is a very small opening, mind you. I had the occasion to have an adaperter stuck on my DSLR & this is how I managed to remove it...If the lens doesn't have an aperture ring (newer G type lenses), it may be a bit more difficult locating this little slot. This is the only way you are going to be able to remove the tubes without damaging them, the lens or both... Let me know if you are able to free them up...

Thanks John, I did just that about an hour ago but used a pin not a small screwdriver, couldnt get straight online as I had visitors (yes there are some folk who like me ) :rofl: the release pin had jammed in place so once I got it off I sprayed a drop of DW40 into the hole and it is now working perfectly, I also managed to get a piece of tissue into the gap to soak up any exess liquid so it doesnt get into the camera.
Thanks for all the suggestions folks.

:judge:Good info to have.

Shoot, learn and share. It will make you a better photographer.
fineartamerica.com/profiles/john-g-schickler.html?tab=artwork

Photo Comments
12 years 10 months ago #99531 by photobod
Finally remember lefty loosy righty tighty... Did a light bulb go off with that last one?

Actualy Charles I was turning the tubes the wrong way at first but luckily I realised and found they were still stuck anyway, It was Johns way that won the day athough I had already freed them before I read his post, since then I have been testing them with no futher problems, thank god for DW40 the cure all.

www.dcimages.org.uk

12 years 10 months ago #99755 by Screamin Scott
Where is "John's" post?

Scott Ditzel Photography

www.flickr.com/photos/screaminscott/

Photo Comments
12 years 10 months ago #99759 by chasrich
I don't know how you break this to you Scott... You are now John! :rofl:

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024