FILM CAMERA TALK...

12 years 10 months ago #98955 by Stealthy Ninja
Talk all you like about the good ol' days of film here. Go for it! :thumbsup:
12 years 10 months ago #98983 by chasrich
I suppose cave etchings would be off topic?

“Amateurs worry about equipment, professionals worry about money, masters worry about light, I just make pictures… ” ~ Vernon Trent
12 years 10 months ago #99015 by Stealthy Ninja

chasrich wrote: I suppose cave etchings would be off topic?

Yes. Feel free to start a thread though. :banana:
12 years 10 months ago #99197 by Dori

A photo of one would count...

I miss being able to double-expose

Don't pi$$ me off, I am running out of room to store the bodies...

Resident Texasotan...

12 years 10 months ago #99539 by mj~shutterbugg
I miss grain and the smell of a wet line. The dark room and red light, ah memories of college. I do not miss waiting for days till the lab got my film to me for color, or the cost of paper and chemicals.

Think Off-Center ~ George Carlin
www.mjbrennanphoto.com

12 years 10 months ago #99551 by photobod
The darkroom was the most fun it didnt matter how many prints I made watching them come to life always fascinated me. :beerbang: :beerbang: :beerbang:

www.dcimages.org.uk
"A good photograph is one that communicate a fact, touches the heart, leaves the viewer a changed person for having seen it. It is, in a word, effective." - Irving Penn

12 years 10 months ago #99713 by Dori
In a way I miss not knowing what I got until I got the slides.

Resident Texasotan...

12 years 10 months ago #99721 by John Landolfi

Dori wrote:

A photo of one would count...

I miss being able to double-expose

You can do it digitally, too. in more than one way, and more easily.

Photo Comments
12 years 10 months ago #99737 by Dori
How? In camera?? I should read my manual a bit more? :lol:

Resident Texasotan...

12 years 10 months ago #100081 by rihanabianca
so, how it will be started?
:goodpost:
12 years 10 months ago #109790 by Stealthy Ninja
I just moved this to the right forum.

Keep talking about the good ol' days people. :thumbsup:
12 years 10 months ago #109794 by Joves
You know since I have been shooting digital I dont think of those days as good. :lol:
Lets see once you popped in a roll of film you had to shoot that ISO till the roll was spent, granted you could roll back but that was a pain. Developing while I liked doing it myself, I didnt like having to store the supplies and having to dedicate space for it. Film taking a dump or losing rolls of film, dont miss that. I liked film grain but now I can emulate that in post. Also since I used to do astrophotgraphy I dont miss cooking film to do it and having to either freeze it or use it quickly or it would die. Also I dont miss that you can lose over 20 years of shooting in a fire. Now I can back it up on drives and at various sites. So yes I dont miss film.

12 years 10 months ago - 12 years 10 months ago #109803 by Stealthy Ninja

Joves wrote: You know since I have been shooting digital I dont think of those days as good. :lol:
Lets see once you popped in a roll of film you had to shoot that ISO till the roll was spent, granted you could roll back but that was a pain. Developing while I liked doing it myself, I didnt like having to store the supplies and having to dedicate space for it. Film taking a dump or losing rolls of film, dont miss that. I liked film grain but now I can emulate that in post. Also since I used to do astrophotgraphy I dont miss cooking film to do it and having to either freeze it or use it quickly or it would die. Also I dont miss that you can lose over 20 years of shooting in a fire. Now I can back it up on drives and at various sites. So yes I dont miss film.

Shhh the old folks'll hear you. :whistle:

I guess I should contribute a little. I do remember shooting film. Not as a photography buff (I got into photography when the 40D was still about) but as a normal consumer.

My mum had some sort of Kodak camera or something. I can't remember. All I remember is it had a leather cover and we weren't allowed to touch it without permission.

My brother was more into photography than me ironically. He had a Minolta DSLR. It seemed pretty awesome to me, but I stuck with my Canon P&S film camera.

"Switched" to digital in 2002 (just before my first kid was born). Got myself a Canon G12, which did fine till years later and my wife wanted something smaller (Canon IXUS 65). I then started to like taking arty shots with that and decided I wanted something better. After much convincing I managed to get a Canon 40D. The rest is history.

So I have little or no nostalgia for the ol' days of taking film into be processed etc. I remember taking film into our local chemist and having to come back a week (WEEK) later to get the photos.

Give me digital any day. :)

If you like it, that's cool too. :thumbsup:
12 years 10 months ago #109817 by Joves
But I am one of the old folks. :lol:

12 years 10 months ago #109818 by Stealthy Ninja

Joves wrote: But I am one of the old folks. :lol:

Why aren't you in bed then?! NURSE!?!!

:owned:

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Olympus Pen E-P7 is an affordable micro four thirds mirrorless camera with 4K video capabilities, a 20.3MP sensor, and 121 focus points, making it a solid entry-level camera for beginners.

May 13, 2024

The Panasonic G9 II is a 25.2-megapixel micro four thirds camera with numerous features that make it punch out of its weight class, like 779 AF points, 5.8K video, and weather sealing.

May 10, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The best photography jobs right now are a mix of tried-and-true gigs like wedding photography and new jobs highlighting AI’s capabilities, travel, and videography.

May 15, 2024

The Olympus Pen E-P7 is an affordable micro four thirds mirrorless camera with 4K video capabilities, a 20.3MP sensor, and 121 focus points, making it a solid entry-level camera for beginners.

May 13, 2024

Starting a photography business is one thing; sustaining your business over a long period of time is another. Use the tips in this professional photography guide to build something with longevity!

May 13, 2024

The Panasonic G9 II is a 25.2-megapixel micro four thirds camera with numerous features that make it punch out of its weight class, like 779 AF points, 5.8K video, and weather sealing.

May 10, 2024

Cinematic photography is an interesting genre that combines photographic and videographic skills along with effective storytelling techniques. The result? Highly impactful images!

May 09, 2024

Newborn photography requires skill, the right gear, and a lot of patience. This beginner’s guide discusses critical topics that will help you be more prepared for before, during, and after the shoot.

May 08, 2024

To fill the frame means to expand the footprint of the subject in your shot. Get in close, zoom in, crop the image, or use other techniques to bring the subject to the forefront.

May 06, 2024

With these simple yet effective beginner photography tips, you can avoid some of the common mistakes beginners make and get improved results with your images.

May 06, 2024