The rule of thirds

12 years 10 months ago #99977 by Malaia101
I am taking classes through New York Institute of Photography and need help. One of the projects I need to send in is "the rule of thirds". I would like to get some feed back on this photo. I am thinking about sending this one in...what do you think?? Thank you!

Attachments:
12 years 10 months ago #99983 by Vespista
Hi Malaia,
I really like the shot and it certainly gets a tick for the thirds rule.
Speaking as an amateur with lots to learn, I would have put her in the left side third so her hair blew in the direction of the centre of the frame. I hope you and everyone feels free to tell me I'm wrong!
Cheers,
NEIL

Photo Comments
12 years 10 months ago #99985 by Malaia101
It is funny you say that...I thought the same thing. But as it stands this was a "in the moment shot". I was just letting her play and I really think she started to run away. :) Thank you! If I don't use this I will have to keep that in mind!!

12 years 10 months ago #99987 by Graflex 4x5
The rule of thirds applies more to images with multiple subjects, rather then a single subject.

If you had mom and a puppy in the shot, you'd probably put mom on the left side, slightly higher then the child and place the puppy lower and in the center. They'd basically form a triangle of sorts. The idea is to draw the viewer's eye into and through the image.

Look at the image called Power House, Disconnect and stairs in my IBW album if you need a visual aid.

Help any?

No matter how fast I go, there's always someone slower in front of me.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Malaia101
12 years 10 months ago #100111 by MLKstudios
Use the crosshairs made by the rule for a single subject. Her eyes should be a bit higher.

Matthew (this feels a lot like explaining exposure to someone reading UE)

;)

Matthew L Kees
MLK Studios Photography School
www.MLKstudios.com
[email protected]
"Every artist, was once an amateur"

12 years 10 months ago #100125 by DestinDave
Actually I think this is a good composition.. Even though her hair is blowing to the right, her shoulders and body are pointing left and into the frame.. and her eyes keep the viewer coming back to her face..
Cropping the image to place her on the left side would make it appear as if she were walking right out of the picture..

Dave Speicher
I thought I wanted a career.. turns out I only wanted paychecks.
dlspeicher.zenfolio.com

12 years 10 months ago - 12 years 10 months ago #100163 by Baydream
Try cropping this to a "portrait" format, eliminating the left side of the photo just getting rid of the "dark area" near her arm. I think her eyes will be at a 1/3 cross point and her hair will be blowing the "correct" direction. Try it and post so we can see the result.

Hint: after you "attach" the photo, use the Insert button to display in a larger format.

Shoot, learn and share. It will make you a better photographer.
fineartamerica.com/profiles/john-g-schickler.html?tab=artwork

Photo Comments
12 years 10 months ago #100257 by crystal

Graflex 4x5 wrote: The rule of thirds applies more to images with multiple subjects, rather then a single subject.

If you had mom and a puppy in the shot, you'd probably put mom on the left side, slightly higher then the child and place the puppy lower and in the center. They'd basically form a triangle of sorts. The idea is to draw the viewer's eye into and through the image.

Look at the image called Power House, Disconnect and stairs in my IBW album if you need a visual aid.

Help any?

Not really. rule of thirds can apply too all aspect of photography. It just appears that portraits are shot more center in the frame, but I lost count how many times portraits are shot using rule of thirds and they look good too.
12 years 10 months ago #100259 by crystal

Baydream wrote: Try cropping this to a "portrait" format, eliminating the left side of the photo just getting rid of the "dark area" near her arm. I think her eyes will be at a 1/3 cross point and her hair will be blowing the "correct" direction. Try it and post so we can see the result.

Hint: after you "attach" the photo, use the Insert button to display in a larger format.

I was just about to type this,....cropping into a portrait, when I read your post. :agree:
12 years 10 months ago #100267 by crystal

Vespista wrote: Hi Malaia,
I really like the shot and it certainly gets a tick for the thirds rule.
Speaking as an amateur with lots to learn, I would have put her in the left side third so her hair blew in the direction of the centre of the frame. I hope you and everyone feels free to tell me I'm wrong!
Cheers,
NEIL

Well you are right....amateur with lots to learn.
This picture would not look all that good with the girl towards the left side so the hair is blowing towards the center of the frame.
The way it's shot now, is good (except for maybe cropping it into portrait...which wouldn't show rule of thirds for what the assignment is calling)
Either the girl was moving to the left, which would indicate the reason for the hair blowing to the right. You want to show direction where the subject is going (the picture shows this) Yes, could do what you mention....and it would be showing, where the girl came from. But the photographer needs to choose what they think is best. Sometimes, looking into the future is good, and sometimes looking into the past is good. All depends on the subject, the lighting etc...
The following user(s) said Thank You: Malaia101, Vespista
12 years 10 months ago #100269 by Graflex 4x5
Let's not forget this is a 'school' project, they're going to judge her effort on more traditional composition.

The question was 'what is the rule of thirds', not how can I improve this photo.

No matter how fast I go, there's always someone slower in front of me.
12 years 10 months ago - 12 years 10 months ago #100275 by crystal

Graflex 4x5 wrote: Let's not forget this is a 'school' project, they're going to judge her effort on more traditional composition.

The question was 'what is the rule of thirds', not how can I improve this photo.

Yup, and since I took NYIP I think I would know what they are looking for. :)
Could there be a better photo she could submit...I'm sure.
12 years 10 months ago #100279 by crystal

Malaia101 wrote: I am taking classes through New York Institute of Photography and need help. One of the projects I need to send in is "the rule of thirds". I would like to get some feed back on this photo. I am thinking about sending this one in...what do you think?? Thank you!

Alright, you want to know if it's truly rule of thirds.

Open the image into any photo editing software that can give you a rule of thirds grid.
Photoshop, will do this, if you drag the crop tool across the photo.
Lightroom will also do this when in the crop mode

The grid will show up and you will see if the photo is in the rule of thirds.

I just did it on your picture. The main part of her face appear in the center, off to the right. Her hair and right shoulder appears more in the "rule of thirds". Her forehead appears in the upper part of the frame.

So in theory this is not the correct way of rule of thirds.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Malaia101
12 years 10 months ago #100285 by Baydream

crystal wrote:

Graflex 4x5 wrote: Let's not forget this is a 'school' project, they're going to judge her effort on more traditional composition.

Yup, and since I took NYIP I think I would know what they are looking for. :)
Could there be a better photo she could submit...I'm sure.

:goodpost: Experience with what they are looking for is a great teacher.

Shoot, learn and share. It will make you a better photographer.
fineartamerica.com/profiles/john-g-schickler.html?tab=artwork

Photo Comments
12 years 10 months ago #100303 by shutter bug

Malaia101 wrote: I am taking classes through New York Institute of Photography and need help. One of the projects I need to send in is "the rule of thirds". I would like to get some feed back on this photo. I am thinking about sending this one in...what do you think?? Thank you!

Well I for one thinks it's a beautiful shot of a girl who is enjoying the day. For some people just glancing at the picture, they may think it fits into the rule of thirds. I know I did. When I first saw it, I was thinking yea it could work, but as I read the other comments, I don't think it's a true rule of thirds.

I mean, isn't a true rule of thirds nothing is suppose to be center of the frame?

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Urban photography is a genre showcasing features in urban settings. You can photograph people, architecture, mass transit, and many other subjects. Learn how to do so in this guide!

Apr 30, 2024

The Nikon D850 might be an older DSLR, but it was ahead of its time when it debuted in 2017. That means it still has plenty of firepower to compete with today’s powerful mirrorless cameras.

Apr 30, 2024

The best beginner camera isn’t the same for everyone. That means having choice is of the utmost importance. In this guide, explore five excellent beginner camera options for 2024 and beyond.

Apr 25, 2024

Child portrait photography is a unique undertaking requiring special skills and talents to get the best results. Start mastering this photography niche with these essential tips!

Apr 25, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024