The rule of thirds

12 years 10 months ago #100309 by Baydream

shutter bug wrote:

Malaia101 wrote: I am taking classes through New York Institute of Photography and need help. One of the projects I need to send in is "the rule of thirds". I would like to get some feed back on this photo. I am thinking about sending this one in...what do you think?? Thank you!

Well I for one thinks it's a beautiful shot of a girl who is enjoying the day. For some people just glancing at the picture, they may think it fits into the rule of thirds. I know I did. When I first saw it, I was thinking yea it could work, but as I read the other comments, I don't think it's a true rule of thirds.

I mean, isn't a true rule of thirds nothing is suppose to be center of the frame?

That really "nothing", but the focus of the photo should not be there.

Shoot, learn and share. It will make you a better photographer.
fineartamerica.com/profiles/john-g-schickler.html?tab=artwork

Photo Comments
12 years 10 months ago #100319 by shutter bug

Baydream wrote:

shutter bug wrote:

Malaia101 wrote: I am taking classes through New York Institute of Photography and need help. One of the projects I need to send in is "the rule of thirds". I would like to get some feed back on this photo. I am thinking about sending this one in...what do you think?? Thank you!

Well I for one thinks it's a beautiful shot of a girl who is enjoying the day. For some people just glancing at the picture, they may think it fits into the rule of thirds. I know I did. When I first saw it, I was thinking yea it could work, but as I read the other comments, I don't think it's a true rule of thirds.

I mean, isn't a true rule of thirds nothing is suppose to be center of the frame?

That really "nothing", but the focus of the photo should not be there.

And in this said picture, the focus is in the center of the frame. So in theory it's not rule of thirds.
(sorry if this sounds like a repeating, I am just trying to learn myself) :)

12 years 10 months ago #100321 by Malaia101
Thank you for all your comments! I understand that the 'rule of thirds' can be a tuff one. I have taken many pictures and always second guess myself. There are so many ways to look at this rule! :blink:

12 years 10 months ago #100325 by Baydream

Photo Comments
The following user(s) said Thank You: Malaia101
12 years 10 months ago #100333 by shutter bug

Baydream wrote: Check out this video on composition.
www.photographytalk.com/forum/tips-and-t...hy-composition#93221

I don't know if this was direct towards me or the OP but I'll check it out. Thanks. :)

12 years 10 months ago #100497 by Baydream

shutter bug wrote:

Baydream wrote: Check out this video on composition.
www.photographytalk.com/forum/tips-and-t...hy-composition#93221

I don't know if this was direct towards me or the OP but I'll check it out. Thanks. :)

Actually the OP but it's a good one for all.

Photo Comments
12 years 10 months ago #100565 by Baydream
Sorry about the link I gave. This article is the one I was thinking of:
www.photographytalk.com/photography-arti...-digital-photography

It's on page 26 of 27. Grrr.

Photo Comments
12 years 10 months ago #100787 by Vespista
Thanks for that John; a good, succinct article.

Photo Comments
12 years 10 months ago #102807 by icepics
I think you could just crop the image enough so that her eyes are a third of the way down from the top of the picture (it looks like they're somewhere between a third and halfway down). Looking at the image going horizontally it looks to me like you've got the composition within the rule of thirds.

I don't know for the class if they expect you to use a grid or just 'eyeball' it; guess it depends on the purpose of the lesson. I don't use the grid probably because I learned w/a manual focus camera - where there was no grid! - so I learned how to eyeball it.

Sharon
Photo Comments
12 years 10 months ago #102817 by Baydream
Hint - shoot a bit wide and crop. That gives you more flexibility to fit the RoT, especially if you don't have to submit a super high res image.

Photo Comments
12 years 10 months ago #102968 by Henry Peach

Malaia101 wrote: There are so many ways to look at this rule! :blink:

The rule of thirds is an exercise intended to get beginners to stop centering everything. It's supposed to get you out of the box, not seal you in another one. It's a pattern to help you start seeing and thinking differently, but you are supposed to move on to a more intuitive sense of composition. I think your photo would be fine for the assignment, although if you had one that had multiple points of interest at several of the thirds that would be even better. For instance imagine a portrait of a mother holding a baby: we might try to put the mother's face at one third point and the baby's face at the one below and diagonal.
12 years 10 months ago - 12 years 10 months ago #102982 by The Time Capturer

Henry Peach wrote:

Malaia101 wrote: There are so many ways to look at this rule! :blink:

The rule of thirds is an exercise intended to get beginners to stop centering everything. It's supposed to get you out of the box, not seal you in another one. It's a pattern to help you start seeing and thinking differently, but you are supposed to move on to a more intuitive sense of composition. I think your photo would be fine for the assignment, although if you had one that had multiple points of interest at several of the thirds that would be even better. For instance imagine a portrait of a mother holding a baby: we might try to put the mother's face at one third point and the baby's face at the one below and diagonal.

I agree with this. I don't know if they are looking for a technical, measurable grid or just "in the area." I like it the way it is. I like her on the right because she is moving to the left. It's always been my belief that your subject needs somewhere to go, or somewhere to look and if the subject is at the edge of the frame looking outward, that to me doesn't tell the whole story. It leaves the viewer wondering what they're looking at or where they're going.

This is a great captured moment and, in my opinion, you nailed it.

Sure, practice makes perfect but, unless you learn from your mistakes, you are only perfecting your ability to fail.
12 years 10 months ago #103062 by Malaia101
Thank you guys for all your help. You guys gave me some great insight. I am not sure if i will use this or not. I am going to go back out and take more...after all is this not why why we do what we do...take pictures! You guys gave me a a lot to think about!!! THanks again!:lol:

12 years 10 months ago #103702 by Henry Peach
For all the talk about the rule of thirds, and other "rules of composition", there have been numerous studies done where the great paintings were sorted through by computers looking for patterns. What they found is that ideas like the rule of thirds, the golden mean, some aspect ratios are better than others, etc... have about as much validity in the real world as astrology.

One pattern that does show up over and over again in famous portrait paintings is that the eye closest to the viewer is often centered horizontally (if you drew a line from top to bottom in the middle the near eye would be placed somewhere on that line).

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Urban photography is a genre showcasing features in urban settings. You can photograph people, architecture, mass transit, and many other subjects. Learn how to do so in this guide!

Apr 30, 2024

The Nikon D850 might be an older DSLR, but it was ahead of its time when it debuted in 2017. That means it still has plenty of firepower to compete with today’s powerful mirrorless cameras.

Apr 30, 2024

The best beginner camera isn’t the same for everyone. That means having choice is of the utmost importance. In this guide, explore five excellent beginner camera options for 2024 and beyond.

Apr 25, 2024

Child portrait photography is a unique undertaking requiring special skills and talents to get the best results. Start mastering this photography niche with these essential tips!

Apr 25, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024