What lens would you suggest?

12 years 6 months ago #159670 by madisontayloryo
Hi everyone!

It's about to be basketball season at my school and I'm looking to invest in a really good lens for the basketball games. I use a Nikon D7000 but I don't have the money for a nikon lens so, do any of you know of or suggest some third party lenses? thanks!
I want something fast :)

12 years 6 months ago #159684 by Hoky Poke
You want something fast, will cost you money. Which you claim you don't have for Nikon lenses.

Fast lenses around around F2.8.
Sigma makes good lenses that work well with Nikon.
The focal length of 70-200 or 70-300 will do just fine for what you want.
However Sigma's 70-200 f2.8 is $2470
www.sigmaphoto.com/shop/apo-70-200mm-f28-ex-dg-os-hsm-sigma

Nikon's 70-200 f2.8 is $2400
www.nikonusa.com/Nikon-Products/Product/...2F2.8G-ED-VR-II.html

Sigma 70-300 f4.6 ranges from $220-$549

Nikon 70-300 4.5 is $590
www.nikonusa.com/Nikon-Products/Product/...F4.5-5.6G-IF-ED.html

12 years 6 months ago #159701 by rmeyer7
Unfortunately, you're not going to find a good, fast lens for a really low price. It's kind of the same thing as wanting a fast exotic sports car...but having the budget for an economy sedan instead.

12 years 6 months ago #159751 by icepics
Once you decide what you want you might consider used, I've done well with a reliable seller like KEH. I'm not familar with Nikon but for most brands they list the name brand as well as Non-Manufacturer (Non-Mfg) which would be Tamron, Sigma, etc. to fit Nikon. You're likely going to be shooting in low light (or weirdo gym lighting, depending on if you'll be in a new or old building) so a decent lens always helps but you may not want to break the bank for it. There's probably a similar thread on this topic, if you try searching the forums you might find some info there.

Sharon
Photo Comments
12 years 6 months ago #159778 by McBeth Photography
Take a look at a AF Nikkor 85mm f1.8D. I think you can get a new one for a little under $500.

It is what it is.
12 years 6 months ago #159794 by RogerS
Personally, I would stick with a Nikkor 70-300 f5.6 for a low budget lens. I got mine new for less than $100 Cdn. The bear pic I have up right now was taken with that lens, and some of my long range band shots were, as well. If a low budget is the concern, then jack the ISO on the D700 because that one works very well in the ISO 1600 range without noise.

12 years 6 months ago #159813 by Rob pix4u2
I shoot hockey with both an 80-200 f2.8 Nikon lens and a 300mm f 4.0 Nikon lens -both used for about $750 US. Should work well for most indoor sports

Remember to engage brain before putting mouth in gear
Rob Huelsman Sr.
My Facebook www.facebook.com/ImaginACTIONPhotography

Attachments:
12 years 6 months ago #160486 by Mugsy
Have you decided on what lens you are going to get?

12 years 6 months ago #160511 by Scotty

Rob pix4u2 wrote: I shoot hockey with both an 80-200 f2.8 Nikon lens and a 300mm f 4.0 Nikon lens -both used for about $750 US. Should work well for most indoor sports

I agree with this.

Heres another really solid alternative.

www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?Ntt=Sigma+...=0&InitialSearch=yes

When the last candle has been blown out
and the last glass of champagne has been drunk
All that you are left with are the memories and the images-David Cooke.

Photo Comments
12 years 6 months ago #160567 by madisontayloryo
I haven't decided yet! I was thinkin about the sigma 17-50mm?

12 years 6 months ago #160569 by Scotty

madisontayloryo wrote: I haven't decided yet! I was thinkin about the sigma 17-50mm?

That's a little wide for sports.

When the last candle has been blown out
and the last glass of champagne has been drunk
All that you are left with are the memories and the images-David Cooke.

Photo Comments
12 years 6 months ago #160576 by Baydream
If you can shoot from the sideline, that MIGHT be OK for action at the near end of the court (and if the lens is at least a 2.0 or 1.8). If you are in the stands and want to get close ups like Rob, Scotty is absolutely correct.
Theses are with a 50mm 1.8 at ISO400 (I should have been at 800) Shutter speed was in the 1/320-500 range.

Shoot, learn and share. It will make you a better photographer.
fineartamerica.com/profiles/john-g-schickler.html?tab=artwork

Photo Comments
Attachments:
12 years 6 months ago #161302 by Stealthy Ninja
something in the 70-200 range would rock it.

The sigma 70-200 (as suggested by Scotty) is a good alternative to the excellent Nikon 70-200 2.8 VR II.
12 years 6 months ago #161525 by icepics
Might be worth considering what else you'd use the lens for after a season of basketball. If the gym allows you to shoot courtside you wouldn't need as long a lens as you would if you'll be shooting from up higher in the bleachers.

You would benefit from a decent lens but it may not be worth a big investment unless you think you'll keep shooting sports; you already mentioned that the Nikon lenses you'd looked at were not within your budget. That might be something you'd upgrade to in the future if you keep shooting sports beyond this season.

Sharon
Photo Comments
12 years 6 months ago #161637 by Stealthy Ninja
the good thing about a 70-200 is you can always shoot it at 70 :whistle: 70 is pretty wide for a lot of things (depending on your style).

Then again 70 on a crop body is pretty long, so yeh (sorry sometimes I forget because I'm so use to FF

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Latest Articles

The best beginner camera isn’t the same for everyone. That means having choice is of the utmost importance. In this guide, explore five excellent beginner camera options for 2024 and beyond.

Apr 25, 2024

Child portrait photography is a unique undertaking requiring special skills and talents to get the best results. Start mastering this photography niche with these essential tips!

Apr 25, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024