Photos printing with an ORANGE tint?

12 years 2 months ago - 12 years 2 months ago #203767 by taylorlynn
My gear:
Canon T3i
18-55mm
50mm f/1.8

I edit with Photoshop Elements 8 (Windows) and always shoot in RAW and convert to jpg after editing with Adobe RAW editor.

Anyways... ALL of the pictures I take with my T3i print with an orange tint. I have tested 3 printers and also purchased a calender from a professional company and those were orange as well. They look perfect on the computer but as soon as they're printed, they orange as heck.

I have changed my PSE color profile from "Always Optimize Colors for Computer Screens" to "Always Optimize for Printing" and while the photo on the screen seemed a little more dull, it still printed with an orange tint. I don't even know if this could make a difference or not - I don't understand the whole "profile" thing too much.

I am at a complete loss of what to do and I have stopped shooting for a while just because I can't rely that people will have good "prints." If anyone has any ideas I would so appreciate it!

PLEASE speak "English" - I am very new to photography and editing and don't always understand the lingo that others do.

Thanks!!!

12 years 2 months ago - 12 years 2 months ago #203775 by Baydream
WOW. Interesting. Have you tried viewing on a different computer and/or monitor. The color on your monitor could really be off and making up think the colors are set correctly. Try grabbing a photo from another camera or download one, adjust the color and print.
It may not be your camera.

In the meantime, I'll scour the T3i manual to look for clues. (I have a XT, an XSi and a 60D, all without color issues).

Do you have the same issue shooting jpegs?

BTW - Welcome to the PT family.

Shoot, learn and share. It will make you a better photographer.
fineartamerica.com/profiles/john-g-schickler.html?tab=artwork

Photo Comments
12 years 2 months ago #203783 by Baydream
According to the manual, in most modes other than Auto,you can set Ambiance Selection (p 67). I forgot to ask. In what mode are you shooting? If you want a fresh start, I believe there is a Reset All Defaults in the menu. That would get you back to Ground Zero.
Then try RAW + JPEG and compare the results.
Let us know about your shooting mode and settings. We love a mystery :huh:

Photo Comments
12 years 2 months ago #203785 by photobod
Is your monitor calibrated ??? or have you checked your camera to see if it is set to something like tungsten or some other white balance maybe, sounds a bit of a mystery but sounds like John is on the case, let us know when you discover the cause of the fault :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

www.dcimages.org.uk
"A good photograph is one that communicate a fact, touches the heart, leaves the viewer a changed person for having seen it. It is, in a word, effective." - Irving Penn

12 years 2 months ago #203787 by taylorlynn
Thanks for the quick response!

Yes, I tried viewing and printing several photos on my husbands macbook pro and got the same results; picture looked fine on the screen, but orange when printed. I even installed my Canon RAW software on his computer and tried editing a RAW photo on his computer and still same result.

When I shoot its generally in full manual mode, but sometimes AV or AP. I have no other settings chosen on my camera like monochrome or whatnot.

In the mean time I will reset my camera settings and try a RAW/JPEG photo.

Thanks!

12 years 2 months ago #203788 by taylorlynn
Photobod, I did calibrate my PC using the software that comes on it, pretty basic, and it seems fine. I have compared my screen to my husbands and my iPhone and not really any dramatic different.

Thanks!

12 years 2 months ago - 12 years 2 months ago #203799 by taylorlynn
Just shot a RAW/JPEG photo after resetting all settings on my camera and just as orange as ever =(

12 years 2 months ago #203813 by Baydream
Oh, me. More questions.
How much difference do you see between the RAW and JPEG?
The JPEG should reflect any camera settings. The RAW would not.

Are you shooting indoors or out? If indoors, what are the lighting conditions? What type of subject matter?

The calibration photobod is talking about is a calibration of the monitor to match the printer. Since you may tried several printers and a commercial printer, it is a mystery. We'll keep looking for possible answers.
If possible, post a photo in this forum. Resize to less than 2mp, then use the Add Photo button to select your shot. Once the file name appears, click the INSERT button. Then Submit. Maybe your photo will contain some clues.

Photo Comments
12 years 2 months ago - 12 years 2 months ago #203834 by taylorlynn
When I look at the two pictures side by side (.cr2 & .jpg) in MyPictures folder they look identical. I didn't set anything in the camera since I reset everything, so other than my chosen settings like ISO, Shutter Speed, etc... everything like the Picture Style and White balance was set to Auto.

I shoot in a variety of locations: indoors, outdoors with all seasons filled weather, many different lighting conditions. I also shoot a variety of subject: stationary objects, portraits, action, nature. But one thing's the same: they all print with the orange tint!

I will mention that I don't think this is a camera issue because I just went back and looked at some printed pictures I took with my T1i and they are orange as well, I just didn't really notice until now because I put a Sepia effect on them so I didn't occur to me right off the printer.

I attached the test photo I took today but I'm not sure what 2mp means... Thanks!!

Attachments:
12 years 2 months ago #203838 by Joves

taylorlynn wrote: Photobod, I did calibrate my PC using the software that comes on it, pretty basic, and it seems fine. I have compared my screen to my husbands and my iPhone and not really any dramatic different.

Thanks!

For accurate printing from the computer you need to calibrate both the computer monitor and the printer so they are speaking the same language. Calibration takes a special tool to get true colors from the monitor, most monitors are off and what you are seeing is not the way the photo actually looks. I like the Spyder calibrators myself. Granted they are expensive but they are worth every penny if you plan on printing a lot of your photos. I never use the factory software for it because it is never right.
Also which color space are you using is it Adobe RGB or sRGB? It makes a difference as well. An orange cast generally means the WB is off or not set to the correct light temperature.

12 years 2 months ago #203850 by Baydream
I agree with Joves about the calibration. I don't think that the WB would not be set in the RAW version.

The sun will give this photo a warm cast.

The 2mp reference is to the total size of the image on your computer. The second one took. You can use your software to make a copy of your photo using RESIZE and check the size.

I really suspect a monitor issue.
I know these are "crude" methods but:
Take one of your prints and try to adjust the monitor to match the print. AND/OR
Take the jpeg (no edits) to a one-hour photo place and have them print it WITHOUT corrections. An 8x10 shouldn't cost but $2 to $3. Hold that up to the monitor and adjust.
These are not nearly as good as the Spyder or other devices but something you can try in the meantime.

The two camera outputs match. The various printer outputs match. So the only variable is the monitor.

Photo Comments
12 years 2 months ago #203858 by chasrich
Any trouble shooting method consist of eliminating possible components that might be causing the problem. This is done several ways for example... Take a photo with the camera - do not edit just upload and print. Orange? Take the same image to another system/computer/printer and see if that fixes the problem. By not editing you are verifying that your software settings are NOT the problem. If on the other hand the photo prints fine on your system then there might be a problem in your software or the calibration of the monitor. As frustrating as this might be you will solve the problem if you approach it logically. Hang in there - not giving up is the real key to solving any problem. :thumbsup: :woohoo:

:welcomeclan :welcomeclan :welcomeclan

“Amateurs worry about equipment, professionals worry about money, masters worry about light, I just make pictures… ” ~ Vernon Trent
12 years 2 months ago #203859 by John37
I have the same issue, same exact gear, I'm convinced I need to puchase a color checker passport type thing. Photos look great on screen, then the orange tint when printed. I pay extra attention to WB now, too.

"The most endangered species? The honest man!"
12 years 2 months ago #203861 by chasrich
Just an after thought... try shooting a test pattern. Something with a calibrated color swatch including white.

“Amateurs worry about equipment, professionals worry about money, masters worry about light, I just make pictures… ” ~ Vernon Trent
12 years 2 months ago #203871 by digishutterbug
Have you called Canon? They have a really good help desk. Also if there a firmware upgrade that you need to download? If two of you a problem there be a know bug.

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Latest Articles

To fill the frame means to expand the footprint of the subject in your shot. Get in close, zoom in, crop the image, or use other techniques to bring the subject to the forefront.

May 06, 2024

With these simple yet effective beginner photography tips, you can avoid some of the common mistakes beginners make and get improved results with your images.

May 06, 2024

Urban photography is a genre showcasing features in urban settings. You can photograph people, architecture, mass transit, and many other subjects. Learn how to do so in this guide!

Apr 30, 2024

The Nikon D850 might be an older DSLR, but it was ahead of its time when it debuted in 2017. That means it still has plenty of firepower to compete with today’s powerful mirrorless cameras.

Apr 30, 2024

The best beginner camera isn’t the same for everyone. That means having choice is of the utmost importance. In this guide, explore five excellent beginner camera options for 2024 and beyond.

Apr 25, 2024

Child portrait photography is a unique undertaking requiring special skills and talents to get the best results. Start mastering this photography niche with these essential tips!

Apr 25, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024