***Site Maintenance - January 29, 2011***

13 years 3 months ago #22344 by Alex
Morning everyone, just a heads up my engineers are working to turn on the new PhotographyTalk site. The new site is much faster than what we have right now, and it fixes a number of bugs that are floating around on the current site.

So... I have a couple different servers right now... one is hosting this site (old site) and the other server is hosting the new site. My engineers are working to update the new site with updated data, and flip the switch so the new faster site is visible to you (on the new server) vs the old slower site. So that's what has been going on all last night, not to mention Murphy's Law keeps poking his head in! We hit a few snags with the new site, so we switched back to old site while my programmers figure out what is going on with the new site.

Any rate I can assure, when the changes are finally made... you'll like it!

Thank you for making PhotographyTalk.com your photography community of choice.
Photo Comments
13 years 3 months ago #22346 by bhowdy
Thanks for the continued improvements Alex

Bob Howdeshell

"If I could tell the story in words, I wouldn't need to lug around a camera" ~ Lewis Hine

13 years 3 months ago #22347 by Screamin Scott

bhowdy wrote: Thanks for the continued improvements Alex

Ditto :agree:

Scott Ditzel Photography

www.flickr.com/photos/screaminscott/

Photo Comments
13 years 3 months ago #22354 by Baydream
What I got to see of it looked good .. except for Murphy. As a retired programmer and project manager, I understand completely. The Articles section was much more user-friendly.

Shoot, learn and share. It will make you a better photographer.
fineartamerica.com/profiles/john-g-schickler.html?tab=artwork

Photo Comments
13 years 3 months ago - 13 years 3 months ago #22358 by Alex

Baydream wrote: What I got to see of it looked good .. except for Murphy. As a retired programmer and project manager, I understand completely. The Articles section was much more user-friendly.

Thanks for your support and understanding guys! Now regarding the article section... you haven't seen anything yet ;) What you saw wasn't anywhere near 100% what I wanted... there were a few changes that needed to be made yet. :thumbsup:

Thank you for making PhotographyTalk.com your photography community of choice.
Photo Comments
13 years 3 months ago #22367 by neal1977
Hi Alex, thanks for the update. This is the only photo site I belong to, so keep the improvements coming!

Photo Comments
13 years 3 months ago #22455 by Baydream
Alex -
I hope you will take photobod's farewell comments into consideration. Some of public banter seems more like Facebook than what I feel was the original intention of this forum. I love photography and I love banter, but when the banter overwhelms the photography, the "attractiveness" of the site to avid photographers and newcomers is diminished. I don't believe that anyone is doing this intenionally but watch the "latest posts" and see how many new threads are being generated. Also watch statistics and see how many newcomers stay around.
Because I enjoy the photography discussions, advice and I informative articles and videos, I am concerned about the "health" of the site.
Just my thoughts. Anyone else?

Photo Comments
13 years 3 months ago #22554 by luckywish1
thank you alex for keeping us posted

13 years 3 months ago #22570 by Stealthy Ninja
he does it while all YOU are in bed... and I'm at my most bored time at work with nothing to do but post on PT...
:pinch:
13 years 3 months ago #23212 by Scotty
I've seen the changes like 2-3 times now because i've stayed up late. Excited.

When the last candle has been blown out
and the last glass of champagne has been drunk
All that you are left with are the memories and the images-David Cooke.

Photo Comments
13 years 3 months ago #23952 by jim h
:banana: thanks Alex your the man :banana:

13 years 3 months ago #23990 by Scotty
We want more smilies alex.:toocrazy: :toocrazy: :toocrazy:

When the last candle has been blown out
and the last glass of champagne has been drunk
All that you are left with are the memories and the images-David Cooke.

Photo Comments
13 years 3 months ago #24567 by Stealthy Ninja

Scotty wrote: We want more smilies alex.:toocrazy: :toocrazy: :toocrazy:

:goodpost: :agree: :judge:
13 years 2 months ago #24721 by Baydream
I would like to see a date/time on postings. Also the message flag showing near your avatar when on the forum.

Photo Comments
13 years 2 months ago #24722 by Travel Nut

Baydream wrote: I would like to see a date/time on postings. Also the message flag showing near your avatar when on the forum.

Isn't there a sign under your avatar now that shows online or offline? :thumbsup:

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Urban photography is a genre showcasing features in urban settings. You can photograph people, architecture, mass transit, and many other subjects. Learn how to do so in this guide!

Apr 30, 2024

The Nikon D850 might be an older DSLR, but it was ahead of its time when it debuted in 2017. That means it still has plenty of firepower to compete with today’s powerful mirrorless cameras.

Apr 30, 2024

The best beginner camera isn’t the same for everyone. That means having choice is of the utmost importance. In this guide, explore five excellent beginner camera options for 2024 and beyond.

Apr 25, 2024

Child portrait photography is a unique undertaking requiring special skills and talents to get the best results. Start mastering this photography niche with these essential tips!

Apr 25, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024