Photography chit chat/answers and questions.

13 years 3 months ago #23666 by Scotty
I made this thread because it's easy to hijack a thread asking a question about somebody's work that is answering in the thread.

Rob, in your hockey shots, do you use flash ever?

When the last candle has been blown out
and the last glass of champagne has been drunk
All that you are left with are the memories and the images-David Cooke.

Photo Comments
13 years 3 months ago #23670 by Rob pix4u2
No, never use flash- always available light. This is a problem if you shoot in different arenas and have no notes to work from. I've gotten used to several of the arena lighting set ups around the league so I have quite a bit of experience in some of them. I try not to use ISO above 1000 but in the darker arenas I have used 1600 in order to get my shots. Orlando Fla. and Dayton Ohio are two of the brightest along with Peoria Illinois and Columbus Ohio. I have settled into a routine at my home arena to the point where I can pretty much set the camera and fire away form night to night. I like shooting in Kalamazoo even though it is a little darker arena but it is a more intimate rink similar to Ft. Wayne Indiana.
In rinks where i don't shoot a lot I ask the staff if I can meter the ice with my Minolta Autometer IV f which gives me a good starting point and I can adjust from there.

Remember to engage brain before putting mouth in gear
Rob Huelsman Sr.
My Facebook www.facebook.com/ImaginACTIONPhotography

13 years 3 months ago #23671 by Scotty
Ever think about upgrading the cams to handle high ISO's better?

Photo Comments
13 years 3 months ago #23673 by Rob pix4u2
Would love to but it's not in the budget for now, the D90 bodies were the best I could do at the present since we just replaced the roof last fall. I was shooting with N90s bodies when shooting film as late as last playoff season along with a D80 body. I am pretty pleased with the D90 bodies for right now. I have been underemployed the last three years due to multiple surgeries and fighting with the Government over disability due to the amount of surgery. So now that I can get back to earning a little bit I hope to catch up over the next year or so.

Rob Huelsman Sr.

13 years 3 months ago #23675 by Scotty
I'm sure your luck will change :)

Photo Comments
13 years 3 months ago #23677 by Stealthy Ninja
I'm in. This is a good idea. :goodpost:
13 years 3 months ago #23681 by crystal

Rob pix4u2 wrote: I have been underemployed the last three years due to multiple surgeries and fighting with the Government over disability due to the amount of surgery. So now that I can get back to earning a little bit I hope to catch up over the next year or so.

Good luck with the disability thing. My parents are both on it for their own health reasons. It took my mom 3yrs to get on it.
13 years 3 months ago #23690 by Baydream

cwightmanphotos wrote:

Rob pix4u2 wrote: I have been underemployed the last three years due to multiple surgeries and fighting with the Government over disability due to the amount of surgery. So now that I can get back to earning a little bit I hope to catch up over the next year or so.

Good luck with the disability thing. My parents are both on it for their own health reasons. It took my mom 3yrs to get on it.

:agree:
Hope you recover enough so you don't need it. It isn't a lot of money and restricts how much you can earn. Would rather see a healthy Rob out there making those great shots.

Shoot, learn and share. It will make you a better photographer.
fineartamerica.com/profiles/john-g-schickler.html?tab=artwork

Photo Comments
13 years 3 months ago #23706 by Fiesta!

Rob pix4u2 wrote: Would love to but it's not in the budget for now, the D90 bodies were the best I could do at the present since we just replaced the roof last fall. I was shooting with N90s bodies when shooting film as late as last playoff season along with a D80 body. I am pretty pleased with the D90 bodies for right now. I have been underemployed the last three years due to multiple surgeries and fighting with the Government over disability due to the amount of surgery. So now that I can get back to earning a little bit I hope to catch up over the next year or so.

Rooting for your success! :thumbsup:

Photo Comments
13 years 3 months ago #23782 by Scotty
If you could upgrade, what would you go?

Photo Comments
13 years 2 months ago #26194 by Rob pix4u2

Scotty wrote: If you could upgrade, what would you go?

D3s bodies and a 300mm 2.8 would be my choice for upgrades. If I'm going to dream it might as well be big ! Seriously though I just posted a new album " CYCLONES HOCKEY 2010-11" where I upped the shutter speeds on both cameras and the results were better than I expected

Rob Huelsman Sr.

13 years 2 months ago #26219 by Scotty

Rob pix4u2 wrote:

D3s bodies and a 300mm 2.8 would be my choice for upgrades. If I'm going to dream it might as well be big ! Seriously though I just posted a new album " CYCLONES HOCKEY 2010-11" where I upped the shutter speeds on both cameras and the results were better than I expected

Less camera shake, sharper images I always say.

300 f/2.8 is a helluva a lens, and I love my d3s.

Photo Comments
13 years 2 months ago #26520 by Stealthy Ninja

Scotty wrote:

Rob pix4u2 wrote:

Oh man that would be nice. :) I'll stick with what I can afford though, Unlike my friend who's recently become a Leica nut. :banana:
13 years 2 months ago #26535 by Alex

Scotty wrote:

Rob pix4u2 wrote:

Heck yeah it is :drool:

Thank you for making PhotographyTalk.com your photography community of choice.
Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Urban photography is a genre showcasing features in urban settings. You can photograph people, architecture, mass transit, and many other subjects. Learn how to do so in this guide!

Apr 30, 2024

The Nikon D850 might be an older DSLR, but it was ahead of its time when it debuted in 2017. That means it still has plenty of firepower to compete with today’s powerful mirrorless cameras.

Apr 30, 2024

The best beginner camera isn’t the same for everyone. That means having choice is of the utmost importance. In this guide, explore five excellent beginner camera options for 2024 and beyond.

Apr 25, 2024

Child portrait photography is a unique undertaking requiring special skills and talents to get the best results. Start mastering this photography niche with these essential tips!

Apr 25, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024