Do you have a Mac or PC?

13 years 3 months ago #28506 by Alex
Desk top that is running XP, laptop with Windows 7, and my favorite is a Macbook Pro

Thank you for making PhotographyTalk.com your photography community of choice.
Photo Comments
13 years 3 months ago - 13 years 3 months ago #28564 by Stealthy Ninja

Yasko wrote:

Stealthy Ninja wrote: It's better now, but I had a Windows XP PC with no illegal downloads and shareware etc. just created for video editing (nothing but the editing programs on it). It was horribly unstable.

totally agree with that one, it was my XP experience too :slapface:

ANd don't get me started on Windows ME. That was horrid. I had to start the computer like 3-5 times to get it to boot properly (EACH TIME) then it had trouble staying on for more than 1/2 hour. That OS was a major mistake... THE most unstable OS ever!!!1 When windows XP came out I went and got it ASAP and it was a MAJOR improvement (even with it's stability problems).

Note: I do like Windows 7
13 years 2 months ago #28587 by crystal
Always been using Windows.
Right now, Windows 7.
I have used all Windows. DOS, 3.1, 95, 98, ME, 2000, XP, Vista and now 7. (did I miss any) lol
Personally, ME for me was the worse. It kept blue screening. I went back to 98, which was better then ME. Never had any problems with the other OSs (not including dos or 3.1 lol)

As of right now Windows 7 I like. No problems.
I remember a couple years ago when I had Vista, I was talking to coworkers who all complain about Vista. Now when I had vista, I never had a problem. But I also do not download lots of crap to cause an issue for my computer either. Alot of users do, and if one does not know how to clean up their computer eventually it will cause problems.

If I was given a mac, I would take the mac. I can not say if the mac or pc would be my main computer. I will never buy a mac, because I have better use for my money. I'm also not going to be one of those users who thinks I should buy a mac because my current PC is dieing. (I've seen alot of people do that)
13 years 2 months ago #28697 by Scotty

Rob pix4u2 wrote: No real difference since they use the same processors now. Creative community is tied to Macs at greater expense

Huge difference in OS's though.

When the last candle has been blown out
and the last glass of champagne has been drunk
All that you are left with are the memories and the images-David Cooke.

Photo Comments
13 years 2 months ago #28858 by Stealthy Ninja

Scotty wrote:

Rob pix4u2 wrote: No real difference since they use the same processors now. Creative community is tied to Macs at greater expense

Yeh, which makes it personal preference in some ways. Though I think OSX is slightly more user friendly (will still confuse noobs though).
13 years 2 months ago #28866 by Scotty

Stealthy Ninja wrote:

Scotty wrote:

Yeh, which makes it personal preference in some ways. Though I think OSX is slightly more user friendly (will still confuse noobs though).

I just don't like registry.

Photo Comments
13 years 2 months ago #29083 by Joves

Stealthy Ninja wrote:

Yasko wrote:

Stealthy Ninja wrote: It's better now, but I had a Windows XP PC with no illegal downloads and shareware etc. just created for video editing (nothing but the editing programs on it). It was horribly unstable.

ANd don't get me started on Windows ME. That was horrid. I had to start the computer like 3-5 times to get it to boot properly (EACH TIME) then it had trouble staying on for more than 1/2 hour. That OS was a major mistake... THE most unstable OS ever!!!1 When windows XP came out I went and got it ASAP and it was a MAJOR improvement (even with it's stability problems).

The only problems I had with ME was with the memory allocations over 512K. I was handed a copy by a friend who worked for MS. Most of the problems I found was with the hardware manufacturers and their software, I had videocards and soundcards that just would not work at all with it, when I replaced them with older cards it worked like a dream. For memeroy allocation the fix was a simple one of adjusting the Virtual Memory. If you let window decide even if you had a gig of memory then it would do the dreaded low memory fault. It was alot like using very large disks, MS didnt write it so it would automatically recognize the larger disks. With XP I have had zero problems, now dont get me started on NT when it was released. That was a constant fight for any drivers that would work and the constant BSODs with every programs you tried to install.

13 years 2 months ago #29132 by Scotty

Joves wrote:

Stealthy Ninja wrote:

Yasko wrote:

The only problems I had with ME was with the memory allocations over 512K. I was handed a copy by a friend who worked for MS. Most of the problems I found was with the hardware manufacturers and their software, I had videocards and soundcards that just would not work at all with it, when I replaced them with older cards it worked like a dream. For memeroy allocation the fix was a simple one of adjusting the Virtual Memory. If you let window decide even if you had a gig of memory then it would do the dreaded low memory fault. It was alot like using very large disks, MS didnt write it so it would automatically recognize the larger disks. With XP I have had zero problems, now dont get me started on NT when it was released. That was a constant fight for any drivers that would work and the constant BSODs with every programs you tried to install.

I had problems with 3.1, 95, 98, ME, and sometimes XP. Vista was just a resource hog. 7 is the first windows OS i've liked.

Photo Comments
13 years 2 months ago #29219 by stag
I have both. I use the MAC primarily for art purposes and the PC for all my business software and internet usage.

13 years 2 months ago - 13 years 2 months ago #29253 by Stealthy Ninja

Joves wrote:

Stealthy Ninja wrote:

Yasko wrote:

Well you were lucky. For me ME was just a waste of HDD space.
13 years 2 months ago #29301 by Kip
Always used PC; currently using Dell Studio XPS running Windows 7 64bit. Brother likes Mac, but I'm accustomed to windows interface and existing software is pc based. Both can be used for post processing and creativity...use what feels best to you. :cheers:

13 years 2 months ago #29303 by Scotty

Kip wrote: Always used PC; currently using Dell Studio XPS running Windows 7 64bit. Brother likes Mac, but I'm accustomed to windows interface and existing software is pc based. Both can be used for post processing and creativity...use what feels best to you. :cheers:

I wish they would have continued selling their xps gaming laptop line.

Photo Comments
13 years 2 months ago #29312 by Stealthy Ninja

Scotty wrote:

Kip wrote: Always used PC; currently using Dell Studio XPS running Windows 7 64bit. Brother likes Mac, but I'm accustomed to windows interface and existing software is pc based. Both can be used for post processing and creativity...use what feels best to you. :cheers:

I never got into gaming laptops. The screen's just too small most of the time.
13 years 2 months ago #29315 by Scotty

Stealthy Ninja wrote:

Scotty wrote:

17 inch wasn't bad back in the day.

Photo Comments
13 years 2 months ago #29331 by Stealthy Ninja

Scotty wrote:

Stealthy Ninja wrote:

Scotty wrote:

17 inch wasn't bad back in the day.

True, but now you can get a 24" Dell with an IPS panel for quite cheap 17" seems like rubbing dirt in your eye.

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Olympus Pen E-P7 is an affordable micro four thirds mirrorless camera with 4K video capabilities, a 20.3MP sensor, and 121 focus points, making it a solid entry-level camera for beginners.

May 13, 2024

The Panasonic G9 II is a 25.2-megapixel micro four thirds camera with numerous features that make it punch out of its weight class, like 779 AF points, 5.8K video, and weather sealing.

May 10, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The best photography jobs right now are a mix of tried-and-true gigs like wedding photography and new jobs highlighting AI’s capabilities, travel, and videography.

May 15, 2024

The Olympus Pen E-P7 is an affordable micro four thirds mirrorless camera with 4K video capabilities, a 20.3MP sensor, and 121 focus points, making it a solid entry-level camera for beginners.

May 13, 2024

Starting a photography business is one thing; sustaining your business over a long period of time is another. Use the tips in this professional photography guide to build something with longevity!

May 13, 2024

The Panasonic G9 II is a 25.2-megapixel micro four thirds camera with numerous features that make it punch out of its weight class, like 779 AF points, 5.8K video, and weather sealing.

May 10, 2024

Cinematic photography is an interesting genre that combines photographic and videographic skills along with effective storytelling techniques. The result? Highly impactful images!

May 09, 2024

Newborn photography requires skill, the right gear, and a lot of patience. This beginner’s guide discusses critical topics that will help you be more prepared for before, during, and after the shoot.

May 08, 2024

To fill the frame means to expand the footprint of the subject in your shot. Get in close, zoom in, crop the image, or use other techniques to bring the subject to the forefront.

May 06, 2024

With these simple yet effective beginner photography tips, you can avoid some of the common mistakes beginners make and get improved results with your images.

May 06, 2024