Do you have a Mac or PC?

13 years 3 months ago #28328 by Hawkins
I currently have a HP desktop that is on it's last leg. I'm pretty sure I'm going to pick up a Macbook Pro. But I thought this might be a fun thread and interesting to see how many photographers are using what?

Photo Comments
13 years 2 months ago #28334 by Yasko
I use PC with windows 7.

This common notion that PC's run atrociously more unstable that MAC's is over emphasized I think. The kids that dabble with illegal downloads, visit risky sites, and use buggy shareware with no system/registry protection are giving PC's a bad rep. I've used this PC for a little over a year with no problems or slowdowns whatsoever.

I have nothing against either operating system, but get PC if you're on a budget ;)

13 years 2 months ago #28337 by Scotty
I use mac for everything. If I was more into pc gaming though, i'd do pc.

When the last candle has been blown out
and the last glass of champagne has been drunk
All that you are left with are the memories and the images-David Cooke.

Photo Comments
13 years 2 months ago #28340 by qualityresults
I am using a PC with windows 7 (pre-launch install) and as was stated most of the problems are when users do things they really shouldn't be doing. like the good old click here to check your computer because you are infected pop-up.

I have never had any problems with any Windows OS (barring ME which wasn't an OS anyways)

so for me PC is great. My son has a mac book and likes it...although he finds limitations with it as well.

So to each his for choice, but upgrading is a lot easier on a PC down the line.

13 years 2 months ago #28343 by Scotty
Windows 7 is a great OS. It's what vista should have been.

When the last candle has been blown out
and the last glass of champagne has been drunk
All that you are left with are the memories and the images-David Cooke.

Photo Comments
13 years 2 months ago #28346 by Rob pix4u2
No real difference since they use the same processors now. Creative community is tied to Macs at greater expense

Remember to engage brain before putting mouth in gear
Rob Huelsman Sr.
My Facebook www.facebook.com/ImaginACTIONPhotography

13 years 2 months ago #28347 by effron
PC, windows 7

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
13 years 2 months ago #28349 by johnm
I use and have always used PCs. If you switch from PC to Mac, won't you have to invest in all new software? I think they run on different platforms - or at least, they did.

13 years 2 months ago #28351 by Screamin Scott
PC & Windows 7 Ultimate...

Scott Ditzel Photography

www.flickr.com/photos/screaminscott/

Photo Comments
13 years 2 months ago #28370 by Joves
I use PCs and will never change. I build my own so MAC is out of the question. Im still using Win XP for now but, sometime this year Im going to do another build. This one is six years old and is getting a tad slow with some of the newer programs so it is time.

13 years 2 months ago - 13 years 2 months ago #28407 by Stealthy Ninja

Yasko wrote: I use PC with windows 7.

This common notion that PC's run atrociously more unstable that MAC's is over emphasized I think. The kids that dabble with illegal downloads, visit risky sites, and use buggy shareware with no system/registry protection are giving PC's a bad rep. I've used this PC for a little over a year with no problems or slowdowns whatsoever.

I have nothing against either operating system, but get PC if you're on a budget ;)

It's better now, but I had a Windows XP PC with no illegal downloads and shareware etc. just created for video editing (nothing but the editing programs on it). It was horribly unstable.

Back then I switched to Mac and love it. To me the OS is the key. I just like it so much more than Windows. I also have 2 windows 7 computers and they're pretty nice, stable too. But it's not just stability to me, it's the whole experience. PERSONALLY I just like Mac OSX more than Windows 7.

You can build your own Macs BTW. THey're called Hackintosh and techically (if you buy a genuine OSX software), it's not illegal. It is however a bit of a PITA to do (meaning you have to follow a lot of steps and get hardware that's proven to work well together, there's a lot of information online about which hardware combos to use and how to set it up if you look for it). The good thing is that you can make a hackintosh that pretty much matches a MacPro for about 1/2 the price (if you buy the parts and put it together yourself). :blink:
13 years 2 months ago #28420 by Baydream
I'll stick with my PCs. Desktop on XP (I have 7 ready but haven't loaded yet). and an old Vista (ugh) laptop that is about to be replaced (hopefully this month) to get 6GB of memory and 500 or 750 of drive space. $700-$800 won't get me anywhere near a Mac.

Shoot, learn and share. It will make you a better photographer.
fineartamerica.com/profiles/john-g-schickler.html?tab=artwork

Photo Comments
13 years 2 months ago #28427 by blues
Pcs all the way, An old HP, a Del desktop and a Dell laptop.

13 years 2 months ago #28464 by the greek
I started out with a PC a few years ago. I've been told MACs are better but I don't know enough about computers to feel comfortable changing.

13 years 2 months ago #28497 by Yasko

Stealthy Ninja wrote: It's better now, but I had a Windows XP PC with no illegal downloads and shareware etc. just created for video editing (nothing but the editing programs on it). It was horribly unstable.

totally agree with that one, it was my XP experience too :slapface:

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Olympus Pen E-P7 is an affordable micro four thirds mirrorless camera with 4K video capabilities, a 20.3MP sensor, and 121 focus points, making it a solid entry-level camera for beginners.

May 13, 2024

The Panasonic G9 II is a 25.2-megapixel micro four thirds camera with numerous features that make it punch out of its weight class, like 779 AF points, 5.8K video, and weather sealing.

May 10, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Olympus Pen E-P7 is an affordable micro four thirds mirrorless camera with 4K video capabilities, a 20.3MP sensor, and 121 focus points, making it a solid entry-level camera for beginners.

May 13, 2024

Starting a photography business is one thing; sustaining your business over a long period of time is another. Use the tips in this professional photography guide to build something with longevity!

May 13, 2024

The Panasonic G9 II is a 25.2-megapixel micro four thirds camera with numerous features that make it punch out of its weight class, like 779 AF points, 5.8K video, and weather sealing.

May 10, 2024

Cinematic photography is an interesting genre that combines photographic and videographic skills along with effective storytelling techniques. The result? Highly impactful images!

May 09, 2024

Newborn photography requires skill, the right gear, and a lot of patience. This beginner’s guide discusses critical topics that will help you be more prepared for before, during, and after the shoot.

May 08, 2024

To fill the frame means to expand the footprint of the subject in your shot. Get in close, zoom in, crop the image, or use other techniques to bring the subject to the forefront.

May 06, 2024

With these simple yet effective beginner photography tips, you can avoid some of the common mistakes beginners make and get improved results with your images.

May 06, 2024

Urban photography is a genre showcasing features in urban settings. You can photograph people, architecture, mass transit, and many other subjects. Learn how to do so in this guide!

Apr 30, 2024