Mother arrested for taking pics on public grounds

13 years 2 months ago #29563 by crystal
Everyone should read this. It's sad and unbelievable. Just wrong.

www.longislandlawyerblog.com/mother-of-3...ttraction-at-airport
13 years 2 months ago - 13 years 2 months ago #29571 by Scotty
It's a little weird she had $13,000 dollars cash on her. It's an odd story.

If they're in the wrong though, it's sad.

This is why I don't take pictures by the airport.

When the last candle has been blown out
and the last glass of champagne has been drunk
All that you are left with are the memories and the images-David Cooke.

Photo Comments
13 years 2 months ago #29572 by Scotty

Photo Comments
13 years 2 months ago #29573 by Scotty

Photo Comments
13 years 2 months ago #29574 by Scotty
foxnewsboycott.com/glenn-beck/heavily-ar...national-guard-base/

Another.

It honestly sounds like a one sided story, she sounds like a loon.

Photo Comments
13 years 2 months ago - 13 years 2 months ago #29575 by arkady001
Looks like a fairly straightforward case of overzealous cop misinterpreting the rules and then overreacting more than somewhat.

Most airports in Europe have 'some' restrictions on photography - genuine plane-spotters by and large aren't hassled even though they tend to be a bit odd anyway (like train-spotters I guess).
The further south and east of Calais you go, the more stringent those restrictions become.
A group of British aircraft enthusiasts were jailed in Greece (birthplace of civilisation and democracy lest you'd forgotten) a few years ago for up to 18 months for simply taking photos near the national airport. Which is also a military air-base.

What we don't know is how the woman in this case acted when confronted by the officer in question - as this article relates to her side of things, it's unlikely to paint the full picture so to speak - was she helpful and polite or in the guy's face being loud and assertive of her rights?
Just because it is a right doesn't mean you also have the right to abuse public officials doing their duty - in this case safeguarding a sensitive installation from potential terrorist attack.
Yes, she looked like an average soccer-mom, but guess what - terrorists don't tend to dress up in shemaghs and khaffiyahs when they plan their attacks or conduct their pre-attack reconnaissance.
Check out the movie 'Battle for Algiers' - creaky, old, black and white and with arabic and French sub-titles, but still required viewing at Sandhurst Royal Military Academy... especially noteworthy is the scene when the female (muslim) bombers get haircuts, apply make-up and dress like fashionable French women to gain access to the colonial nightclubs, bars and restaurants they targetted.

That's the problem - we never know who the bad guys are or what they look like.
Yes on the face of it, it does look like the cop over-reached the boundaries, but I'd rather we had cops too eager than sat dozing in a corner not paying attention.

Edit:
read the other links and it appears it was an ANG base, not an airport as I'd earlier thought.
Stupid woman should have know better - there are signs all round most military installations informing you that photography is prohibited and that the Guards will take a dim view of tresspassers.
The fact that she had an automatic weapon in the car was noteworthy.
As an ex-military serviceman myself and having pulled more than my share of guard duties in various places I'm surprised she's still standing.

13 years 2 months ago #29606 by Baydream

arkady001 wrote: Looks like a fairly straightforward case of overzealous cop misinterpreting the rules and then overreacting more than somewhat.

Most airports in Europe have 'some' restrictions on photography - genuine plane-spotters by and large aren't hassled even though they tend to be a bit odd anyway (like train-spotters I guess).
The further south and east of Calais you go, the more stringent those restrictions become.
A group of British aircraft enthusiasts were jailed in Greece (birthplace of civilisation and democracy lest you'd forgotten) a few years ago for up to 18 months for simply taking photos near the national airport. Which is also a military air-base.

What we don't know is how the woman in this case acted when confronted by the officer in question - as this article relates to her side of things, it's unlikely to paint the full picture so to speak - was she helpful and polite or in the guy's face being loud and assertive of her rights?
Just because it is a right doesn't mean you also have the right to abuse public officials doing their duty - in this case safeguarding a sensitive installation from potential terrorist attack.
Yes, she looked like an average soccer-mom, but guess what - terrorists don't tend to dress up in shemaghs and khaffiyahs when they plan their attacks or conduct their pre-attack reconnaissance.
Check out the movie 'Battle for Algiers' - creaky, old, black and white and with arabic and French sub-titles, but still required viewing at Sandhurst Royal Military Academy... especially noteworthy is the scene when the female (muslim) bombers get haircuts, apply make-up and dress like fashionable French women to gain access to the colonial nightclubs, bars and restaurants they targetted.

That's the problem - we never know who the bad guys are or what they look like.
Yes on the face of it, it does look like the cop over-reached the boundaries, but I'd rather we had cops too eager than sat dozing in a corner not paying attention.

Edit:
read the other links and it appears it was an ANG base, not an airport as I'd earlier thought.
Stupid woman should have know better - there are signs all round most military installations informing you that photography is prohibited and that the Guards will take a dim view of tresspassers.
The fact that she had an automatic weapon in the car was noteworthy.
As an ex-military serviceman myself and having pulled more than my share of guard duties in various places I'm surprised she's still standing.

:goodpost:

Shoot, learn and share. It will make you a better photographer.
fineartamerica.com/profiles/john-g-schickler.html?tab=artwork

Photo Comments
13 years 2 months ago #29654 by cpow
Power corrupts and absolute power corrupts absolutely!

13 years 2 months ago #29662 by Scotty

cpow wrote: Power corrupts and absolute power corrupts absolutely!

Except she was in the wrong.

Photo Comments
13 years 2 months ago #29670 by bullets
If more Americans don't start standing up for the freedoms this country is supposed to stand for, the type of behavior reported on that site will become more the norm than the unusual.

13 years 2 months ago - 13 years 2 months ago #29898 by Stealthy Ninja
I suggest you guys read the alternative links before rushing to her defence.
13 years 2 months ago #29905 by Baydream

Stealthy Ninja wrote: I suggest you guys read the alternative links before rushing to her defence.

Th e more articles I read on this, the crazier this lady sounds. Would you allow a heavily armed woman stop by your home and take photos after being asked not to. Most peaceful citizens taking photos and statues are not carrying a shotgun and an assault rifle. Action was not taken at Ft. Hood, Virginia Tech and Tulsa when someone acted bizarre, so this sounds like an action that may have saved the lives of American service personnel.
She wa ssent for a psychiatric evaluation after an outburst in court, Scary person based on reports.

Shoot, learn and share. It will make you a better photographer.
fineartamerica.com/profiles/john-g-schickler.html?tab=artwork

Photo Comments
13 years 2 months ago #30045 by Scotty
Yeah, she's a loon.

Photo Comments
13 years 2 months ago #30151 by Stealthy Ninja

Scotty wrote: Yeah, she's a loon.

13 years 2 months ago #30419 by Scotty
lol wtf?

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024