What you see is not what is.

13 years 2 months ago - 13 years 2 months ago #30444 by Baydream
This answer from Marilyn vos Savant to a question in Parade really got me thinking. When we take photos of the stars we are seeing them in a time lapse "warp" since where we see them is not where they are. Sort of Photoshop on steroids.
--
If many stars are so far from Earth that their light takes millions of years to reach us, how do we know they still exist?
—Sue Charles, Marshfield, Mass.

We don’t. When we look at the stars, we are viewing the past. If a star is a million light years away (our Milky Way galaxy is about 100,000 light years wide), we are observing the way it looked a million years ago, not the way it looks today. And that’s a relatively close star!

Yet we can make educated guesses about the life spans of various stars, depending on their characteristics. In the case of many massive stars—which are among the most luminous and short-lived—we can be confident that they’re not there when we see them.

Even more mind-boggling: Say that a certain star will live for 5 million years, but it’s so far away that its light takes 10 million years to reach us. By the time we can see it for the first time, it has already been gone for 5 million years.

Shoot, learn and share. It will make you a better photographer.
fineartamerica.com/profiles/john-g-schickler.html?tab=artwork

Photo Comments
13 years 2 months ago #30445 by Joves
Being an astronomer I know that this is true, we are merely observing the past. Did you know for example that the Crab Nebula was a star that was observed to disappear 400 years ago? It was noted that a star in Taurus was suddenly gone. The event though happened thousands of years prior. Even when you look at objects within our solar system you are behind, except for the moon. The sun is seven light minutes away, so the light you are photgraphing left seven minutes ago.

13 years 2 months ago #30447 by Scotty
Time is measured to the medium we judge it by.

When the last candle has been blown out
and the last glass of champagne has been drunk
All that you are left with are the memories and the images-David Cooke.

Photo Comments
13 years 2 months ago #30449 by Baydream

Joves wrote: Being an astronomer I know that this is true, we are merely observing the past. Did you know for example that the Crab Nebula was a star that was observed to disappear 400 years ago? It was noted that a star in Taurus was suddenly gone. The event though happened thousands of years prior. Even when you look at objects within our solar system you are behind, except for the moon. The sun is seven light minutes away, so the light you are photgraphing left seven minutes ago.

No wonder my shots are underexposed. Perhaps I should reset the time on my camera :toocrazy:

Photo Comments
13 years 2 months ago #30451 by Scotty

Baydream wrote:

Joves wrote: Being an astronomer I know that this is true, we are merely observing the past. Did you know for example that the Crab Nebula was a star that was observed to disappear 400 years ago? It was noted that a star in Taurus was suddenly gone. The event though happened thousands of years prior. Even when you look at objects within our solar system you are behind, except for the moon. The sun is seven light minutes away, so the light you are photgraphing left seven minutes ago.

No wonder my shots are underexposed. Perhaps I should reset the time on my camera :toocrazy:

Get your atomic watch out
and ready!

Photo Comments
13 years 2 months ago #30456 by piperdee
If the Universe is infinite, how can it be exanding. What's it expanding INTO?

13 years 2 months ago #30463 by Scotty

piperdee wrote: If the Universe is infinite, how can it be exanding. What's it expanding INTO?

Theres different sized infinities, and higher mathematics works different than your understanding of it.

Photo Comments
13 years 2 months ago - 13 years 2 months ago #30469 by Stealthy Ninja

piperdee wrote: If the Universe is infinite, how can it be exanding. What's it expanding INTO?

That's because it isn't, it's just really big.
13 years 2 months ago - 13 years 2 months ago #30471 by Stealthy Ninja

Scotty wrote: Time is measured to the medium we judge it by.

I was thinking, if time is controlled my movements and light is the measure of how fast something is in time. In other words, the closer you get to light speed, the slower time gets (relativity). So, light is traveling at the speed of light (obviously), does that mean it's actually in a state of stopped time. Therefore if a person was traveling on a light beam from a star to earth, would that person actually instantly get to earth (by their perspective). Could this also be why light beams from stars don't dissipate in space and lose energy (because they're in a state of essentially stopped time?

Also has the speed of light always been a constant?

Also, where did I leave my car keys?

Also, where's my car?
13 years 2 months ago #30473 by Baydream

Stealthy Ninja wrote:

I was thinking, if time is controlled my movements and light is the measure of how fast something is in time. In other words, the closer you get to light speed, the slower time gets (relativity). So, light is traveling at the speed of light (obviously), does that mean it's actually in a state of stopped time. Therefore if a person was traveling on a light beam from a star to earth, would that person actually instantly get to earth (by their perspective). Could this also be why light beams from stars don't dissipate in space and lose energy (because they're in a state of essentially stopped time?

Also, where's my car?

Sorry, saw it being towed.

Photo Comments
13 years 2 months ago #30475 by Joves

Baydream wrote:

Set your camera seven minutes fast and the under exposure should go away. :lol:

13 years 2 months ago - 13 years 2 months ago #30485 by Stealthy Ninja

Baydream wrote:

Stealthy Ninja wrote:

Also, where's my car?

I own a car???? :huh:

:drool:
13 years 2 months ago #30535 by Baydream

Stealthy Ninja wrote:

Baydream wrote:

Stealthy Ninja wrote:

Also, where's my car?

I own a car???? :huh:

:drool:

Did! :rofl:

Photo Comments
13 years 2 months ago #30539 by Scotty

Stealthy Ninja wrote:

Also, where's my car?

Time defined by einstein is nothing more than the movement of objects.

Electromagnetic radiation bases it's speed based on itself for a medium. It has wav and particle like functions, therefore allowing it to function above the 4 dimensions we work in, in what you call non-spatial time.

Photo Comments
13 years 2 months ago - 13 years 2 months ago #30543 by Stealthy Ninja

Scotty wrote:

Stealthy Ninja wrote:

Also, where's my car?

Time defined by einstein is nothing more than the movement of objects.

Electromagnetic radiation bases it's speed based on itself for a medium. It has wav and particle like functions, therefore allowing it to function above the 4 dimensions we work in, in what you call non-spatial time.

So what's to say quanta is going to behave uniformly within the 4th dimension. Perhaps electromagnetic radiation actually varies it's speed throughout space-time and the quarks and gluons of electromagnetic radiation emitting from distance sources isn't as ancient as commonly thought (or more so).

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Olympus Pen E-P7 is an affordable micro four thirds mirrorless camera with 4K video capabilities, a 20.3MP sensor, and 121 focus points, making it a solid entry-level camera for beginners.

May 13, 2024

The Panasonic G9 II is a 25.2-megapixel micro four thirds camera with numerous features that make it punch out of its weight class, like 779 AF points, 5.8K video, and weather sealing.

May 10, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Olympus Pen E-P7 is an affordable micro four thirds mirrorless camera with 4K video capabilities, a 20.3MP sensor, and 121 focus points, making it a solid entry-level camera for beginners.

May 13, 2024

Starting a photography business is one thing; sustaining your business over a long period of time is another. Use the tips in this professional photography guide to build something with longevity!

May 13, 2024

The Panasonic G9 II is a 25.2-megapixel micro four thirds camera with numerous features that make it punch out of its weight class, like 779 AF points, 5.8K video, and weather sealing.

May 10, 2024

Cinematic photography is an interesting genre that combines photographic and videographic skills along with effective storytelling techniques. The result? Highly impactful images!

May 09, 2024

Newborn photography requires skill, the right gear, and a lot of patience. This beginner’s guide discusses critical topics that will help you be more prepared for before, during, and after the shoot.

May 08, 2024

To fill the frame means to expand the footprint of the subject in your shot. Get in close, zoom in, crop the image, or use other techniques to bring the subject to the forefront.

May 06, 2024

With these simple yet effective beginner photography tips, you can avoid some of the common mistakes beginners make and get improved results with your images.

May 06, 2024

Urban photography is a genre showcasing features in urban settings. You can photograph people, architecture, mass transit, and many other subjects. Learn how to do so in this guide!

Apr 30, 2024