Using a monopod

12 years 9 months ago #109909 by S18c34
I'm thinking of purchasing a monopod. How do they compare to a tripod?

12 years 9 months ago #109912 by Rob pix4u2
For shooting in tight spaces they outdo a tripod, for shooting sports they are a necessity. I use my monopod most of the year during Hockey season and love it for the light weight compared to my tripod. I still use the tripod for landscape work and portrait work where I have the room to set it up.

Remember to engage brain before putting mouth in gear
Rob Huelsman Sr.
My Facebook www.facebook.com/ImaginACTIONPhotography

12 years 9 months ago #109917 by GAR 56
What do you plan on using the monopod for?

They can give you more stability than just hand holding the camera, but you still have to have your hands on the camera, so they aren't a substitute for a tripod.

12 years 9 months ago #109930 by S18c34

GAR 56 wrote: What do you plan on using the monopod for?

They can give you more stability than just hand holding the camera, but you still have to have your hands on the camera, so they aren't a substitute for a tripod.

I was mainly looking to use the monopod to support the overall weight. Many times I don't want to carry the weight of the camera and lens.

12 years 9 months ago #109933 by Baydream

S18c34 wrote:

GAR 56 wrote: What do you plan on using the monopod for?

I was mainly looking to use the monopod to support the overall weight. Many times I don't want to carry the weight of the camera and lens.

I just used mine waiting long periods for an eagle to take off. I was shooting from below and that camera and 70-300 was getting heavy. I also use it for "quick set-ups" for long wildlife or other animal shots when getting a tripod leveled and ready would cause me to miss the shot.

Shoot, learn and share. It will make you a better photographer.
fineartamerica.com/profiles/john-g-schickler.html?tab=artwork

Photo Comments
12 years 9 months ago #109936 by Rob pix4u2
The monopod will handle the weight but you still have to carry the rig around - mainly stability is the key when using a camera support. make sure that you get a good monopod and not a cheapo model that will need to be replaced in a few months time. I have had my Manfrotto for 10 + years now andit still works great

Remember to engage brain before putting mouth in gear
Rob Huelsman Sr.
My Facebook www.facebook.com/ImaginACTIONPhotography

12 years 9 months ago #109948 by S18c34
Thanks everyone.

12 years 9 months ago #110469 by Kid Prodigy
I use mine rarely, actually mine see's more action as a walking stick!

Canon EOS 7D|Canon EF 70-200mm F/2.8L USM |
Canon EF 50mm F/1.4 USM |
(2) Canon Speedlite 480EX II

Photo Comments
12 years 9 months ago #114040 by djohnson45
I use mine for sports, football and baseball, and also hiking to waterfalls where it is also very useful as a trail stick. I have a Manfrotto with their quick release head. Makes setup and takedown easy and quick.

12 years 9 months ago #114199 by John Landolfi
Manfrotto makes a shoulder brace which helps a lot in creating a stable base for your setup, and adds very little weight to the monopod.

Photo Comments
12 years 9 months ago #114590 by Stealthy Ninja
I have an extremely cheap one that I use at concerts. I don't have the space or the will to lug my tripod to these things and the monopod gives me a touch more stability (and saves my hands/arms from getting tired).

I intend to get a bit of a better one soonish, but I'm not in a rush.

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Urban photography is a genre showcasing features in urban settings. You can photograph people, architecture, mass transit, and many other subjects. Learn how to do so in this guide!

Apr 30, 2024

The Nikon D850 might be an older DSLR, but it was ahead of its time when it debuted in 2017. That means it still has plenty of firepower to compete with today’s powerful mirrorless cameras.

Apr 30, 2024

The best beginner camera isn’t the same for everyone. That means having choice is of the utmost importance. In this guide, explore five excellent beginner camera options for 2024 and beyond.

Apr 25, 2024

Child portrait photography is a unique undertaking requiring special skills and talents to get the best results. Start mastering this photography niche with these essential tips!

Apr 25, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024