Recommend me a Camera Backpack?

12 years 7 months ago #144689 by Sora
Hi all, I'm looking for a camera backpack to use when I go on day hiking trips. First and foremost it needs to be a useful backpack with room for food and spare clothing etc, and it only needs to fit a body and lens with possible room for a spare lens. I'd rather stick to good brands as my experience with the cheaper stuff hasn't been good. Being weatherproof would be a distinct advantage.
Any recommendations/link are appreciated.

12 years 7 months ago #144693 by Ety56

12 years 7 months ago #144694 by Redhouse
You're going to get a lot of answers. All camera bags are different and will fit different on each photographer. It would be best to go to a camera store and try out the bags.

12 years 7 months ago #144925 by John Landolfi
The largest Lowepro Slingshot. It doesn't have a lot of room for non photo stuff, but you can use the photo compartment for something besides photo gear, if you must. It shines for functionality, the ease of carry and quick deployment for shooting. It has a waistbelt, too. Singshot 300.

Photo Comments
12 years 7 months ago #144935 by Baydream
Love my Lowepro Fastpack 250 Backpack
www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/531361-RE..._Backpack_Black.html

Check out the 350 if you need more space.

Shoot, learn and share. It will make you a better photographer.
fineartamerica.com/profiles/john-g-schickler.html?tab=artwork

Photo Comments
12 years 7 months ago - 12 years 7 months ago #144951 by chasrich
I bought the LowePro 200 and ordered the 302 the next day. I'm saving the 200 for my daughter when she comes to visit. This is my favorite bag out of about eight. The Lowe series comes with a rain hood and good padding.

“Amateurs worry about equipment, professionals worry about money, masters worry about light, I just make pictures… ” ~ Vernon Trent
12 years 7 months ago - 12 years 7 months ago #144955 by Screamin Scott
I have a slingshot knockoof which is OK. I used my LowePro mini trekker just recently when I went to California, but they are both likely too small per your specs.. I agree that you need to go into a camera store & touch some. You'll get a better idea as to which one will service your needs

Scott Ditzel Photography

www.flickr.com/photos/screaminscott/

Photo Comments
12 years 7 months ago #144957 by Baydream
The Lowepro site has a "bag finder" feature. You click on it and it walks you through a series of questions to make recommendations. Pretty cool way to get started.
www.lowepro.com/intl

Shoot, learn and share. It will make you a better photographer.
fineartamerica.com/profiles/john-g-schickler.html?tab=artwork

Photo Comments
12 years 7 months ago #144971 by shelland
It's not a backpack, but we got the Lowerpro Sling about a year ago and I love it. I haven't even used our Lowepro backpack since we bought it. I like that it doesn't really look like a camera bag to draw attention. I think it's a lot more comfortable if carrying for an extended period as well. It also has a zipper to expand one end of the bag to create more space, which might fit your needs for stuffing it with extras.

This link has a demo video on the page: www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/676639-RE...ling_Camera_Bag.html

Scott

- Twin Cities, MN

12 years 7 months ago #144988 by Stealthy Ninja
Dudes, she's talking about going day HIKING (assuming the OP is a she here).

You do NOT want a slingshot style bag for hiking. It will kill your shoulders/back after a while. Bad, bad, bad idea.

@Baydream. I had a fastpack. I gave it away to a friend. It just makes your back sweat. I wouldn't use it for hiking.

Here's my recommendations:
Tamrac (relatively cheap, but still tough)

Tamrac Adventure 9

www.tamrac.com/5549.htm

Tamrac Adventure 10

www.tamrac.com/5550.htm

Think Tank (my favourite camera bag maker):
I'd recommend this one:
www.thinktankphoto.com/products/rotation360-backpack.aspx

However it's sorta heavy empty, so a tarmac might be the way to go.

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Olympus Pen E-P7 is an affordable micro four thirds mirrorless camera with 4K video capabilities, a 20.3MP sensor, and 121 focus points, making it a solid entry-level camera for beginners.

May 13, 2024

The Panasonic G9 II is a 25.2-megapixel micro four thirds camera with numerous features that make it punch out of its weight class, like 779 AF points, 5.8K video, and weather sealing.

May 10, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Olympus Pen E-P7 is an affordable micro four thirds mirrorless camera with 4K video capabilities, a 20.3MP sensor, and 121 focus points, making it a solid entry-level camera for beginners.

May 13, 2024

Starting a photography business is one thing; sustaining your business over a long period of time is another. Use the tips in this professional photography guide to build something with longevity!

May 13, 2024

The Panasonic G9 II is a 25.2-megapixel micro four thirds camera with numerous features that make it punch out of its weight class, like 779 AF points, 5.8K video, and weather sealing.

May 10, 2024

Cinematic photography is an interesting genre that combines photographic and videographic skills along with effective storytelling techniques. The result? Highly impactful images!

May 09, 2024

Newborn photography requires skill, the right gear, and a lot of patience. This beginner’s guide discusses critical topics that will help you be more prepared for before, during, and after the shoot.

May 08, 2024

To fill the frame means to expand the footprint of the subject in your shot. Get in close, zoom in, crop the image, or use other techniques to bring the subject to the forefront.

May 06, 2024

With these simple yet effective beginner photography tips, you can avoid some of the common mistakes beginners make and get improved results with your images.

May 06, 2024

Urban photography is a genre showcasing features in urban settings. You can photograph people, architecture, mass transit, and many other subjects. Learn how to do so in this guide!

Apr 30, 2024