Which Backpack

12 years 6 months ago - 12 years 6 months ago #153267 by yonders
I need a good backpack [Lowepro, Tamrac] which would have a equipment storage at the bottom, general storage att the top and storage for a laptop at the back.

My equipment would be the Nikon D700 coupled to the Nikkor 80.200 f/2.8 lens, Tamron 28-75 f/2.8 [all of these that I currently have], Nikon SB700 [will buy later], a couple of CPL filters.

The equipment needs to fit well rather than be loose.

The bag needs to be light and will be carried around daily. Quick access system is not essential.

Suggestions are most welcome.

Thanks

D Man

'Goan [not Gone] in the desert' (",).

12 years 6 months ago #153392 by orion
Hi, Depending on the size of your laptop,

Lowepro CompuTrekker Plus AW Notebook & Camera Backpack - 17" laptop. Found it on ebay
Is that the type your looking for? $98

The following user(s) said Thank You: yonders
12 years 6 months ago #153406 by Baydream
I have a Lowepro Fastpack 350 Backpack but it sounds like the 250 would meet your needs perfectly. The 250 is about $88.
www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?Ntt=lowepr...=0&InitialSearch=yes

I have the 350 since I carry two DSLR bodies and several lenses (plus filters, remotes, laptop

Shoot, learn and share. It will make you a better photographer.
fineartamerica.com/profiles/john-g-schickler.html?tab=artwork

Photo Comments
12 years 6 months ago #153482 by yonders
What do you think of the Tamrac 3385?

D Man

12 years 6 months ago #153514 by Stealthy Ninja
Tamrac is pretty good and generally cheaper. Go Tamrac IMHO

(of course personally I like think tank, but they don't make a bag exactly like you're asking. The closest they make is the Rotation 360º)

www.thinktankphoto.com/products/rotation360-backpack.aspx

Review:
prodig.org/2006/12/21/think-tank-rotation-360-part-1/
12 years 6 months ago #153703 by yonders

Stealthy Ninja wrote: Tamrac is pretty good and generally cheaper. Go Tamrac IMHO

(of course personally I like think tank, but they don't make a bag exactly like you're asking. The closest they make is the Rotation 360º)

Review:

Thanks to your post got to know about another manufacturer 'Think Tank'.... Earlier there were a few... Kata, Lowepro & Tamrac

:)

D Man

12 years 6 months ago #153710 by yonders

yonders wrote:

Stealthy Ninja wrote: Tamrac is pretty good and generally cheaper. Go Tamrac IMHO

Review:

Thanks to your post got to know about another manufacturer 'Think Tank'.... Earlier there were a few... Kata, Lowepro & Tamrac

:)

Stealthy Ninja: Checked out their website; and as you said... They don't make a bag, like I'm looking for.

D Man

12 years 6 months ago #154053 by Richard K Photography

yonders wrote: What do you think of the Tamrac 3385?

For $139, I like this bag the best

Photo Comments
12 years 6 months ago #155917 by yonders
I bought the Tamrac 3385 Aero 85. Bag was pretty good by quality. My D700 coupled with the 80-200 f/2.8 wasn't able to fit snugly and turned around; and I couldn't get used to the side access + the front access = a bit too many access points.

Exchanged it for Tamrac's 3380 Aero 80. My D700 coupled to Tamron's 28-75 f/2.8 fits well and does not turn or move. However, the Nikon 80-200 f/2.8 fits a bit tight vertically. I hope this is not detrimental to my lens. Otherwise I am happy with this backpack.

Will use the top compartment to carry a light lunch box.

The Adventure 9 is not available at the moment in Dubai; so couldn't check this out.

So the Tamrac 3380 Aero 80 is my bag for now...

Thanks to all who posted on this topic.

:) :cheer: :cheer:

D Man

12 years 6 months ago - 12 years 6 months ago #156625 by yonders

yonders wrote: I bought the Tamrac 3385 Aero 85. Bag was pretty good by quality. My D700 coupled with the 80-200 f/2.8 wasn't able to fit snugly and turned around; and I couldn't get used to the side access + the front access = a bit too many access points.

Exchanged it for Tamrac's 3380 Aero 80. My D700 coupled to Tamron's 28-75 f/2.8 fits well and does not turn or move. However, the Nikon 80-200 f/2.8 fits a bit tight vertically. I hope this is not detrimental to my lens. Otherwise I am happy with this backpack.

Will use the top compartment to carry a light lunch box.

The Adventure 9 is not available at the moment in Dubai; so couldn't check this out.

So the Tamrac 3380 Aero 80 is my bag for now...

Thanks to all who posted on this topic.

:) :cheer: :cheer:

A strong word of caution.

If you forget to close the camera storage section and there is a lens in [even if tight fit] there is a strong chance of the lens falling out. I learnt this the hard way. My 80-200 f/2.8 lens fell out ont the floor while I was lifting the bag. 'Fortunately', I repeat 'fortunately', it was a few inches off the ground.

Tamrac should have provided a restraining velcro strap; just as they have provided for the section where the camera sets.

D Man

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Urban photography is a genre showcasing features in urban settings. You can photograph people, architecture, mass transit, and many other subjects. Learn how to do so in this guide!

Apr 30, 2024

The Nikon D850 might be an older DSLR, but it was ahead of its time when it debuted in 2017. That means it still has plenty of firepower to compete with today’s powerful mirrorless cameras.

Apr 30, 2024

The best beginner camera isn’t the same for everyone. That means having choice is of the utmost importance. In this guide, explore five excellent beginner camera options for 2024 and beyond.

Apr 25, 2024

Child portrait photography is a unique undertaking requiring special skills and talents to get the best results. Start mastering this photography niche with these essential tips!

Apr 25, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024