Cotton Carrier First Impressions.

12 years 6 months ago - 12 years 6 months ago #154337 by Stealthy Ninja
Visit the website here: www.cottoncarrier.com/

I recently received my Cotton Carrier Kit (this is the kit I got):
buy.cottoncarrier.com/cotton-carrier-camera-system-p/122cpf.htm

It arrived a lot quicker than I thought (Canada to Hong Kong) and came in a pretty small box (which is good, it means it's not super bulky).

So I opened the box and here's what I found inside:

Nice tight package there, very good. You can see the nylon (I assume) mesh bag on the left and the Cotton Carrier Handstrap ( LINK ) on the right, that is a free gift with the kit. Now I guess you want to see what's in that mesh bag.

Well here it is:

Nice plastic bags to keep the goodies safe. Let's get those off and...

My next post will be about the mounts mainly. Stay tuned.
Attachments:
12 years 6 months ago - 12 years 6 months ago #154338 by Stealthy Ninja
I was super impressed with the mounting system. It uses what looks like high grade alloy and some sort of awesomely strong hex bolts (with rubber washers) to mount the mounts really securely to the camera.

ALSO it comes with two tethers to keep the cam(s) extra safe. I'd trust this mounting system more than a neck strap to be honest.

Here is a close up of the 15º mount (used for pro cameras or cameras with a grip on them).

This mount is angled so that the lens will point more towards your chest (and therefore be more secure). This is actually an adaption of the original mount (which is also included). Can see them together here:

The two mounts show great design and thinking. No doubt the result of the company actually knowing what photographers need/want and adapting their design to suit. In this way they remind me of Think Tank. The build quality of the Cotton Carrier also reminds me of Think Tank. It's really top notch stuff. You can tell they put a lot of care into the design and the quality control. Very, very good.

This is how they look mounted to a camera (D3s):

You can see the rubber washer at the bottom keeps it gripped on nice and tight without slipping. The hex bolts are super strong too and... well let's put it this way, your camera won't escape by accident.

Now here's how it mounts onto the vest:

You have to turn the camera sideways in order to get it to come out, so again it's a deliberate action that will have you removing the camera. It's fairly easy to remove though, you just have to deliberately move it out yourself (what I mean is, you can't do it by accident).

In addition, at the front of the vest is a velcro strap that can hold your lens to your body tighter. This would be particularly useful if you were hiking with the vest.
12 years 6 months ago - 12 years 6 months ago #154339 by Stealthy Ninja
Conclusion (for now).

First impressions of this product are really high. The quality of workman ship is really good and the design seems really well thought out (I know the design has evolved over time and now is pretty mature).

The size is really flexible too. I suspect it's pretty much a one size fits all product. The strap sizes etc. are pretty darned adjustable, making it suitable for a variety of body types.

The mounts are really secure and you can't remove the cameras by accident (because of how it's designed). ALSO you have included 2 tethers for your cameras, so you're super safe.

I will be using this on photo walks/hiking and for event photography. No more messing about with neck straps on either shoulder for me. :D

I will give a proper review after I try it for a while or for a few events. That review will probably be in video form.

Stay tuned folks.
12 years 6 months ago #154349 by Baydream
Cool. man. My next pieces will be the adapters fro tripod quick release.
You'll look like Rambo.

Shoot, learn and share. It will make you a better photographer.
fineartamerica.com/profiles/john-g-schickler.html?tab=artwork

Photo Comments
12 years 6 months ago #154358 by Stealthy Ninja

Baydream wrote: Cool. man. My next pieces will be the adapters fro tripod quick release.
You'll look like Rambo.

Yeh that seems like a good choice. Might have to order some myself.
12 years 6 months ago - 12 years 6 months ago #154384 by Scotty
But will it blend?

When the last candle has been blown out
and the last glass of champagne has been drunk
All that you are left with are the memories and the images-David Cooke.

Photo Comments
12 years 6 months ago #154402 by Stealthy Ninja

Scotty wrote: But will it blend?

Peanut butter and AWESOME smoothy?
12 years 6 months ago #154626 by Frisco
:judge:

Nikon 18-55mm VR, Nikon 70-200mm VRII f/2.8, Nikon 50mm f/1.8, Nikon 10.5mm Fisheye, Nikon 24-70mm f/2.8, SB-700 & SB-800
Photo Comments
12 years 6 months ago #154840 by Stealthy Ninja
I have to take the mount off today so I can use my tripod.

Lucky for me I don't use my tripod all that much and removing it isn't a huge problem for me.

I might grab an adapter plate thingy later though.
12 years 6 months ago #154865 by Stealthy Ninja
Just ordered a couple of these:
buy.cottoncarrier.com/Cotton-Carrier-UNI...R-PLATE-p/766nhp.htm

Should let me mount a tripod mount on whatever camera I'm using and it looks like it won't add too much bulk to the mount too.

Lets see how it goes when it arrives (didn't go UPS this time, I wonder how long it will take).
12 years 6 months ago #154887 by Missy J
My hubby wants one of these

Photo Comments
12 years 6 months ago #154914 by PT Admin
Excellent review, Adrian! Thanks for sharing.

New to the forum? Please read the forum rules at www.photographytalk.com/terms-of-use
The following user(s) said Thank You: Stealthy Ninja
12 years 6 months ago #155083 by Lucky One
:judge:

12 years 6 months ago #155347 by Stealthy Ninja
My order (of the tripod mount thingy) has already been processed and is on it's way.

:blink:

So fast.
12 years 6 months ago #156194 by One Wish
What is the longest lens you would have on your camera wearing something like this?

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Urban photography is a genre showcasing features in urban settings. You can photograph people, architecture, mass transit, and many other subjects. Learn how to do so in this guide!

Apr 30, 2024

The Nikon D850 might be an older DSLR, but it was ahead of its time when it debuted in 2017. That means it still has plenty of firepower to compete with today’s powerful mirrorless cameras.

Apr 30, 2024

The best beginner camera isn’t the same for everyone. That means having choice is of the utmost importance. In this guide, explore five excellent beginner camera options for 2024 and beyond.

Apr 25, 2024

Child portrait photography is a unique undertaking requiring special skills and talents to get the best results. Start mastering this photography niche with these essential tips!

Apr 25, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024