tripods

13 years 6 months ago #3634 by JJFredd
Not ever having used a "good" quality tripod I do not understand their importance. I have a cheapo $30 tripod from Wally World and it's light, had a stone weight hanger, it can pan and tilt and the head raises and lowers, as well as the legs. If I need a long exposure I've never had a problem once I hang some weights. Can someone enlighten me?

13 years 4 months ago #9949 by Rob pix4u2
If you have ever shot on a really windy day in the mountains you would really be thankful for one of those heavier tripods. If you have ever had to trek a long way into horrible conditions you will appreciate the carbon fiber tripods. Having a sturdier tripod that gets a lot of use tends to stay stable over time/years of use. Have used a Bogen/Manfrotto for years where my Sears tripod fell apart under duress in the woods. besides carrying extra wieghts is a pain during a trek. It's an investment in quality that will perform under the worst conditions and bring home the best pix instead of leaving you wishing you had a better instrument.

Remember to engage brain before putting mouth in gear
Rob Huelsman Sr.
My Facebook www.facebook.com/ImaginACTIONPhotography

13 years 4 months ago #9983 by Scotty

Rob pix4u2 wrote: If you have ever shot on a really windy day in the mountains you would really be thankful for one of those heavier tripods. If you have ever had to trek a long way into horrible conditions you will appreciate the carbon fiber tripods. Having a sturdier tripod that gets a lot of use tends to stay stable over time/years of use. Have used a Bogen/Manfrotto for years where my Sears tripod fell apart under duress in the woods. besides carrying extra wieghts is a pain during a trek. It's an investment in quality that will perform under the worst conditions and bring home the best pix instead of leaving you wishing you had a better instrument.

Plus when you get into higher grade lenses and cameras, they will be heavier. You'll get creeping on your ballhead or tilt head. A good tripod is worth it's carbon fiber weight in gold.

When the last candle has been blown out
and the last glass of champagne has been drunk
All that you are left with are the memories and the images-David Cooke.

Photo Comments
13 years 4 months ago #10006 by Karl Wertanen
Especially when standing in a rushing steam or river trying to get a long exposure for your waterfall shot.... or even jsut on the side trying to drag your shutter to blur the water
13 years 4 months ago #10023 by Scotty

Karl Wertanen wrote: Especially when standing in a rushing steam or river trying to get a long exposure for your waterfall shot.... or even jsut on the side trying to drag your shutter to blur the water

Yes, I hate ballhead creep!

When the last candle has been blown out
and the last glass of champagne has been drunk
All that you are left with are the memories and the images-David Cooke.

Photo Comments
13 years 4 months ago #10131 by luckywish1
yes i got one from walmart a few years ago and they arent that good of tripod either. im geting a new one soon too a heavy one

13 years 4 months ago #10136 by Screamin Scott
Another point about the cheap tripods...The pan/tilt head is really a video camera head & isn't interchangable with any other heads. Plus when the center column is extended, the stability of the entire tripod suffers

Scott Ditzel Photography

www.flickr.com/photos/screaminscott/

Photo Comments
13 years 4 months ago #10137 by luckywish1
so true. do you think i should use my tripod for firework this weekend moseslake is doing fireworks for new year eve and i wanted to take picture of it

13 years 4 months ago #10138 by Karl Wertanen

luckywish1 wrote: so true. do you think i should use my tripod for firework this weekend moseslake is doing fireworks for new year eve and i wanted to take picture of it

definately
13 years 4 months ago #10160 by FMVPhotography
I own a cheap $10 tripod from Amazon, a Manfrotto ball head and currently borrow a set of professional Manfrotto legs with pan and tilt head as well as heavy duty joystick head.

My two tripods would never hold the weight of the D7000 & Sigma 80-500mm lens, the cheap tripod is wobbly and prone to shaky shots, I hate the ball head with a passion because of the creep as mentioned before. I certainly will pay more attention the next time I purchase one.

There again, the cheap light one is great for holidays and no wind conditions, the ball head is light enough for carrying long distances, yet sturdy enough to submerge in water or use on windy days and the heavy duty bad boy is amazing for holding huge weights and solid crisp exposures (as long as you have a car lol)

I say if you are happy with what you've got and it's not let you down - stick with it. No use buying for buyings sake!

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Nikon D850 might be an older DSLR, but it was ahead of its time when it debuted in 2017. That means it still has plenty of firepower to compete with today’s powerful mirrorless cameras.

Apr 30, 2024

The best beginner camera isn’t the same for everyone. That means having choice is of the utmost importance. In this guide, explore five excellent beginner camera options for 2024 and beyond.

Apr 25, 2024

Child portrait photography is a unique undertaking requiring special skills and talents to get the best results. Start mastering this photography niche with these essential tips!

Apr 25, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024