How long does a battery last when walking around

13 years 3 weeks ago #42183 by Tanya095
When I am out and about, walking around with my camera. Sometimes I'll forget to turn off the camera in between shots. Is that ok? I mean does the battery last longer if I keep it on? or should I shut it off every time I am done taking a picture, then turn it back on when I see something again?

13 years 3 weeks ago #42193 by chasrich
I leave it on while I'm carrying it. I will turn it off if there is going to be a period of non use like stopping for a lunch break. Since the camera turns itself off after a minute or so it seems redundant to keep using the manual switch.

“Amateurs worry about equipment, professionals worry about money, masters worry about light, I just make pictures… ” ~ Vernon Trent
13 years 3 weeks ago #42206 by Baydream
Most cameras allow you to decide if they will go to "sleep" and after what period. A few will set it to stay awake so as not to chance missing a shot.
If you have it is "sleep" mode, many days can pass before it runs down.

Shoot, learn and share. It will make you a better photographer.
fineartamerica.com/profiles/john-g-schickler.html?tab=artwork

Photo Comments
13 years 3 weeks ago #42331 by Joves
Well Bay covered that. Also there are other factors like does the LCD show images after you shoot them? Are you using a VR lens with it turned on? Do you CHIMP/review your images alot when shooting? Hell I have left my camera on for days when senility kicked in and I forgot to turn it off, and still had power to shoot if it was a fully charged battery. :woohoo:

13 years 3 weeks ago #42428 by Rob pix4u2
I've gotten into the habit of flipping it to off but then have to turn it back on every time I want to get a shot...

Remember to engage brain before putting mouth in gear
Rob Huelsman Sr.
My Facebook www.facebook.com/ImaginACTIONPhotography

13 years 3 weeks ago #42440 by arkady001
Get a fully-charged battery and put it in the camera.
Turn it on - leave it on; take some photos; never turn it off.
Make a note of when it finally runs out.

Then you'll know for sure.

My EN-EL4a batteries last about three weeks with me turning it off at the end of each shooting session (that's not in between each photo, you notice).
It all depends on how many frames you shoot.
If I do a wedding and shoot, say 2,000 frames, that'll drain about half the battery.

I also carry spare batteries: three for each body - I'm still suffering from using a D1x all those years ago when on a cold day you'd get through eight batteries in an afternoon shooting a football match...lol

13 years 3 weeks ago #42449 by Baydream
You can tell it's too early for me to be online. Mt first thought when I read your thread title this morning was that I never let my batteries go out walking around. :toocrazy: I need more sleep.

Shoot, learn and share. It will make you a better photographer.
fineartamerica.com/profiles/john-g-schickler.html?tab=artwork

Photo Comments
13 years 3 weeks ago #42450 by chasrich
:rofl: I get it... Earlier maybe not though ~ :rofl:

“Amateurs worry about equipment, professionals worry about money, masters worry about light, I just make pictures… ” ~ Vernon Trent

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The best beginner camera isn’t the same for everyone. That means having choice is of the utmost importance. In this guide, explore five excellent beginner camera options for 2024 and beyond.

Apr 25, 2024

Child portrait photography is a unique undertaking requiring special skills and talents to get the best results. Start mastering this photography niche with these essential tips!

Apr 25, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024