Is there a way to convert a backpack

12 years 11 months ago #55118 by C05Mo
I was wondering - is it possible to convert a regular backpack into a workable & safe camera bag?
I don't really have the money for a good camera bag. So I already have a backpack that I was thinking of converting into a camera bag, but how?

12 years 11 months ago #55123 by Whyme
you could line the inside of the bag with some thin foam, and then maybe line that with felt...then you could easily use the velcro "partitions" that are standard on photo bags.

12 years 11 months ago #55126 by Singa
You can buy some 4 inch thick foam padding (craft shops) and cut to the shape of the bottom of the bag, and then cut out the shapes of the camera and extra gear to fit in. If you are really on a low budget, find an old foam pillow or sofa cushion and cut that up...

12 years 11 months ago #55127 by C05Mo
Thanks for the ideas. Looks like I have a new project.

12 years 11 months ago #55139 by Baydream

C05Mo wrote: Thanks for the ideas. Looks like I have a new project.

Then share your photos of your new bag and others may follow.

Shoot, learn and share. It will make you a better photographer.
fineartamerica.com/profiles/john-g-schickler.html?tab=artwork

Photo Comments
12 years 11 months ago #55717 by nanhi
Brilliant idea CO5Mo. Lots of good advice here and you can do it. Just google for some DIY projects on your idea.
Make sure you buy a backpack with (3) or more zipped compartments piled up on each other, so that you can cut out the center compartment to give you enough depth to load your gear flat into the bag and not from the top - you cant see anything from the zippered top.
Here's one DIY idea from the net. I hope the word file attaches. I have been having difficulties attaching JPEG files in this forum.
C:\fakepath\DIY BACKPACK CAMERA BAG.doc

Photo Comments
12 years 11 months ago #56000 by Stealthy Ninja

nanhi wrote: Brilliant idea CO5Mo. Lots of good advice here and you can do it. Just google for some DIY projects on your idea.
Make sure you buy a backpack with (3) or more zipped compartments piled up on each other, so that you can cut out the center compartment to give you enough depth to load your gear flat into the bag and not from the top - you cant see anything from the zippered top.
Here's one DIY idea from the net. I hope the word file attaches. I have been having difficulties attaching JPEG files in this forum.
C:\fakepath\DIY BACKPACK CAMERA BAG.doc

Make sure it's less than 2MB in size.
12 years 11 months ago #56106 by chasrich
I find a velvet bag keeps stuff from banging into each other. You can get these bags free buy drinking Crown Royale. Just remember to save the bag after you finish the bottle. This is not easy to do after drinking a whole bottle! :rofl:

“Amateurs worry about equipment, professionals worry about money, masters worry about light, I just make pictures… ” ~ Vernon Trent

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

To fill the frame means to expand the footprint of the subject in your shot. Get in close, zoom in, crop the image, or use other techniques to bring the subject to the forefront.

May 06, 2024

With these simple yet effective beginner photography tips, you can avoid some of the common mistakes beginners make and get improved results with your images.

May 06, 2024

Urban photography is a genre showcasing features in urban settings. You can photograph people, architecture, mass transit, and many other subjects. Learn how to do so in this guide!

Apr 30, 2024

The Nikon D850 might be an older DSLR, but it was ahead of its time when it debuted in 2017. That means it still has plenty of firepower to compete with today’s powerful mirrorless cameras.

Apr 30, 2024

The best beginner camera isn’t the same for everyone. That means having choice is of the utmost importance. In this guide, explore five excellent beginner camera options for 2024 and beyond.

Apr 25, 2024

Child portrait photography is a unique undertaking requiring special skills and talents to get the best results. Start mastering this photography niche with these essential tips!

Apr 25, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024