On the fence and need help - 300mm f/2.8L IS or the 400mm f/2.8L IS?

12 years 8 months ago #125874 by Sawyer
Morning everyone. During the past year I have slowly been getting more and more into sports photography. What I really need is a good lens for volleyball, tennis, football, base ball and basket ball, something with some umffff!

Now I'm shooting with a 5D Mark II and I do have a 70-200mm that I could put a teleconverter on to get some more zoom, but then I fear I compromise lens performance. What I can't decide is whether I should go with the the 300mm f/2.8L IS or the 400mm f/2.8L IS?

Now I was thinking the 400mm might be to much for some of these sports? I have a friend with a 300mm and he loves how light weight it is compared to 500mm lenses that he has rented. Then again he shoots wildlife up in Alaska all year round and not sports!

What do you think? 300mm or 400mm?

Canon 5D Mark II | Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM | Canon 35L | Sigma 85 1.4 | Helios 44M-6 58mm(M42) | Zeiss 50mm 1.4 (C/Y) | Canon 135L | (2) 430EX II
Photo Comments
12 years 8 months ago - 12 years 8 months ago #126176 by MLKstudios
I agree with your friend. Sometimes even an f/4 is the better choice, due to the weight factor. Depends what (and more importantly when) you are shooting.

You can also use a 2x (or 1.4x) on the 300mm when you need more "reach". Won't hurt the speed that much. The 1.4x gives you a 420mm f/4 lens.

I wouldn't use either extender on an f/4 lens though. Well, maybe.

Matthew :)

Matthew L Kees
MLK Studios Photography School
www.MLKstudios.com
[email protected]
"Every artist, was once an amateur"

12 years 8 months ago #126179 by icepics
You could check out what the pros use - www.sportsshooter.com - in the column on the left see 'Equipment Profiles'.

Sharon
Photo Comments
12 years 8 months ago #126181 by MLKstudios
I enjoyed this:

www.sportsshooter.com/news/2543

My tilt "rule" is it has to add more of the subject. If it's done for no reason (or I have to tilt my head to look at it), then it doesn't work. But if you use a tilt to add more of the figure, like adding the feet or hands, then it's good (and looks natural).

Just my 2¢ :)

Matthew L Kees
www.MLKstudios.com
[email protected]

12 years 8 months ago #126187 by icepics
I get the Sportsshooter newsletter but I haven't even read the most recent one about tilting. I've played around w/it a little, got some weird shots, a couple that were kind of cool. Esp. if my only options were turning the camera to work around people in the way etc. or get a crappy shot w/people's heads in the way. Kind of fun to play around with, seems like it can work sometimes but probably not a technique that would be used a lot.

Sharon
Photo Comments
12 years 8 months ago - 12 years 8 months ago #126189 by MLKstudios
It works sometimes. I've seen wedding photographers (so called) who use it EVERY shot. No thank you. I want some leveled.

Learning about the diagonal line in composition too early is the same as learning the rule of thirds. They tend to use it ALL the time.

:)

Matthew L Kees
www.MLKstudios.com
[email protected]

12 years 8 months ago #126233 by Sawyer
Interesting, it looks like most are using the 400mm? My wallet was kind of hoping I would get a landslide of votes for the 300mm :whistle:

Canon 5D Mark II | Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM | Canon 35L | Sigma 85 1.4 | Helios 44M-6 58mm(M42) | Zeiss 50mm 1.4 (C/Y) | Canon 135L | (2) 430EX II
Photo Comments
12 years 8 months ago #126239 by Baydream
It seems to depend on WHERE you will be shooting. 400 might be overkill from the sideline of a basketball game but better if you are shooting from the stands. For football, the 400 might be better since much of the action if not close up.
Like in real estate - location, location, location.

Shoot, learn and share. It will make you a better photographer.
fineartamerica.com/profiles/john-g-schickler.html?tab=artwork

Photo Comments
12 years 8 months ago - 12 years 8 months ago #126311 by Scotty
Get the 300 and a TC 1.4x and call it a day.

I've shot with both. I wouldn't get the 400 f/2.8 unless I had to use the FL. It makes a great hat though.

I love love LOVE the 300 f/2.8. With a TC 1.4 you barely lose any quality and you don't lose a lot of light.

When the last candle has been blown out
and the last glass of champagne has been drunk
All that you are left with are the memories and the images-David Cooke.

Photo Comments
Attachments:

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Latest Articles

Urban photography is a genre showcasing features in urban settings. You can photograph people, architecture, mass transit, and many other subjects. Learn how to do so in this guide!

Apr 30, 2024

The Nikon D850 might be an older DSLR, but it was ahead of its time when it debuted in 2017. That means it still has plenty of firepower to compete with today’s powerful mirrorless cameras.

Apr 30, 2024

The best beginner camera isn’t the same for everyone. That means having choice is of the utmost importance. In this guide, explore five excellent beginner camera options for 2024 and beyond.

Apr 25, 2024

Child portrait photography is a unique undertaking requiring special skills and talents to get the best results. Start mastering this photography niche with these essential tips!

Apr 25, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024