DSLR for beginner....

12 years 3 months ago #190296 by abzzz
Guys, need your help..

Hows canon 60d???

Or nikon is better...

12 years 3 months ago #190305 by Mu5ic
Which Nikon model would you like to compare it too? Every model is different in it's own way, no matter which brand you are shooting.

12 years 3 months ago #190333 by john_m
Nikon all the way lol. Nikon D3000 would be a great starter camera.

Nikon D200
Nikon 50mm f1.8D, Tokina 28-80 f2.8, Nikon 75-300, Sigma 18-200, Nikon SB-600, Nikon SB-25, Promaster triggers

12 years 3 months ago #190354 by mattmoran
I don't think I'd recommend a DSLR for a beginner. I would say play with a cheap point & shoot and make sure you like photography. Once you start complaining in your head about the limitations, listen to your complaints. What you don't like about the point & shoot will determine what sort of camera you should move up to.

However, if you've decided that a DSLR (and not, for example a high end compact or mirrorless system) is what you want, I'd say that a 60D is a fine camera. But you are probably better off buying a T2i and spending the extra $450 on a better lens.

Nikon also makes fine cameras. If you google "canon vs nikon" you will find pages and pages of opinion about which company makes better cameras and why.

Don't worry about buying the perfect camera. It doesn't exist. Figure out which cameras will meet your needs and pick one. If possible, go to a camera store and play with the various models.

-Matt
12 years 3 months ago #190379 by KCook

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

12 years 3 months ago #190471 by Henry Peach

KCook wrote: Which brand are your friends shooting with?

:agree: You can't go wrong with any of the major names. Buy something that allows you to exchange gear with friends. If no photographer friends then just pick a brand and buy an entry level DSLR with a lens. Shoot it for a year or so. After that you'll want to upgrade anyway, and you'll have a much better idea of what you want in a camera.
12 years 3 months ago #190478 by Baydream
While I love my 60D, I agree with most others that a more basic model is a good way to start and learn - and a lot less expensive if you decide it's not right for you.

Shoot, learn and share. It will make you a better photographer.
fineartamerica.com/profiles/john-g-schickler.html?tab=artwork

Photo Comments
12 years 3 months ago #190482 by bigbubbaG
My personal opinion....

I shot with a Nikon S-610 (P & S) for a couple years. Fall 2011 I decided to go DSLR. I really liked the Nikon, so was planning a Nikon. BUT, I ended up getting a Canon T2i. I am trying to learn how to use it.... any way, bottom line....

I LOVE IT!

Victory is won not in miles but inches. Win some, hold your ground, win some more.
---Louis L'amour

12 years 3 months ago #190496 by chasrich
I went with the 60D too. But I think I was half a level above being a newbie. If I were to buy one for a loved one I think I would start with something like the Canon Rebel as an entry level camera.

“Amateurs worry about equipment, professionals worry about money, masters worry about light, I just make pictures… ” ~ Vernon Trent
12 years 3 months ago #190520 by Rob pix4u2
I agree that a more entry level DSLR like a Nikon D3100 or Canon T3i is what you should get for a beginner

Remember to engage brain before putting mouth in gear
Rob Huelsman Sr.
My Facebook www.facebook.com/ImaginACTIONPhotography

12 years 3 months ago #190528 by mj~shutterbugg
I am with everyone above, go with a Rebel o r entry level Nikon (I think the D3100 was mentioned) and start there. If deciding between the two read the articles mentioned, but go feel them, touch them. If you don't have a lens line up and are starting fresh- see what feels best in your hand, what menus and functions feel most natural.

Think Off-Center ~ George Carlin
www.mjbrennanphoto.com

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Latest Articles

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024