No bunkem hopefully?

12 years 4 weeks ago - 12 years 4 weeks ago #215143 by nedward50
Here are 2 shots of more Churches, don't ask its just the way my mind works.
Hopefully they are no bunkem shots unlike my last post which had some vague ideas behind at least one of the shots.

I'm reluctant to post more images for a while as i feel i'm taking more than giving, so I'll visit other peoples images.

As always don't be afraid to tell it like you see it, I won't be offended.

Attachments:
12 years 4 weeks ago #215144 by Darrell
" I'm reluctant to post more images for a while as i feel i'm taking more than giving, so I'll visit other peoples images "

Don't be reluctant to post, your images are always welcomed..

:judge: This shot ( old church ) is really cool, love the shadows and the dramatic affect. I held my hand to the picture as if it was cropped on the left where the back ground is in the shade, it made the picture look like different shot... ( not saying better just different ):beerbang:

You will not be judged as a photographer by the pictures you take, but by the pictures you show.
The following user(s) said Thank You: nedward50
12 years 4 weeks ago #215148 by Baydream
Good job. Your "eye" is improving.

Shoot, learn and share. It will make you a better photographer.
fineartamerica.com/profiles/john-g-schickler.html?tab=artwork

Photo Comments
12 years 4 weeks ago #215162 by Blue Pill
That first one is a church? WOW, Looks likes someone's home...like mine. haha :rofl: :beerbang: . I love the look of the 2nd one. Good job on both.

12 years 4 weeks ago #215212 by swan
I really like the second image, and from our 'conditioning', I think most people would realise it is a church without you telling us. So, well done - objective achieved.

However, the first building looks like any other building. So, the challenge, assuming you would like the viewer to know it is a church (without being told), is to shoot it creatively, so it looks like a church. Trouble is I can't think of a way to make such a bland modern building look like a church.

My suggestion - pick another church ;)

Hopefully, someone will give you some better suggestions than mine.

12 years 4 weeks ago #215221 by nedward50
Swan,
I'd love to post all images without titles and i have misled you with 2 churches. The first one is or was a hotel. The architecture and the building are not modern but the style is art deco, which is a "church" within a general abstract of the word. Your description of bland would be classed as heresy in some architectural circles. But we all like what we like and I'm glad you gave an honest view. I'm undecided as to whether i like the style, but it has as much heritage merit as the abbey.

The second is an Abbey and as you point out this is obvious. I got tangled up in over thinking, obscure metaphors and adding too many elements with some earlier church shots.

Thank you for taking time to view and comment and welcome.
Ned
12 years 4 weeks ago #215224 by nedward50
Darrell,Bay,Blue, thanks for taking time to view and comment.
Yes the composition could be altered, I'm trying to stick with the 3by2 format that comes with the camera, maybe i could have gone in closer. My view is that finer points of composition are personal taste as well as convention and I'm not "precious about it"

Blue, its a hotel or was and not cheap and its been used in filming because of the architecture.

Actually Baydream my eye is getting worse, stronger and stronger bi focal's needed at every test lol.
12 years 4 weeks ago #215247 by John Landolfi
No2 is interesting (and nice). I'd try moving to the right, to make a stronger perspective statement on the church structures:thumbsup:

Photo Comments
12 years 4 weeks ago #215250 by Rob pix4u2
Ned I am finding # 2 to be a very good composition and feel free to post as much as you want - we all enjoy seeing others work here on the boards. I would like to see your earlier post ( church #1) in less shadows to show the stone texture. Again very good post

Remember to engage brain before putting mouth in gear
Rob Huelsman Sr.
My Facebook www.facebook.com/ImaginACTIONPhotography

12 years 4 weeks ago #215271 by KCook
That old abbey looks like a gold mine of opportunities. Some variations that come to mind are: Elevate the camera and zoom wider. Move the camera a little closer, to get the block out of the foreground. Move the camera a LOT closer, and switch to wide angle. Telephoto studies of different parts of the structure, instead of the whole thing, with vertical format. Re-shoot with very low sun. Re-shoot at dawn or dusk. Re-shoot with storm clouds in the sky. And on and on. Wish I had that site near me!

Kelly

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

12 years 4 weeks ago #215299 by photobod
I find myself agreeing with Kelly, so many opportunities here its a photographers heaven. :judge: :judge: :judge:
the first one is in no way a bland building just a difficult building to photograph the whole of, its more an opportunity to finding curves and angles and almost going abstract, also a need to wait for the correct sort of lighting to arrive. :judge: :judge: :judge:

www.dcimages.org.uk
"A good photograph is one that communicate a fact, touches the heart, leaves the viewer a changed person for having seen it. It is, in a word, effective." - Irving Penn

12 years 4 weeks ago #215318 by chasrich
I'm lovin number 2. :judge: :judge: :judge:

“Amateurs worry about equipment, professionals worry about money, masters worry about light, I just make pictures… ” ~ Vernon Trent
12 years 4 weeks ago #215323 by mj~shutterbugg
I really like #2. I think composition is good, a different crop would give it a different feel. I am with Kelly and David (Photobod) the Abbey present a wealth of opportunities for many typs of photography. Hit that place again if you can.

Think Off-Center ~ George Carlin
www.mjbrennanphoto.com

12 years 4 weeks ago - 12 years 4 weeks ago #215344 by nedward50
Top replies one and all. Kelly,mj,rob,Dave,Charles,John, good on yer boys.

Yes exploration of all the points you have raised is sound advice. Normally for easy access sites, close to home I make more than 1 visit and take hundreds of shots, my trash can's full of them lol. With this site its a more difficult as its a 2 hour drive away and access times are restricted. It is a fabulous place.
Have a look www.fountainsabbey.org.uk/

It's owned by the National Trust. They have their own bank of pro shooters and a stock library they own large tracts of Britain. If you visit the fountains web site let me know your thoughts on their web images. Mediocre even for a greenhorn like me, let alone pro's.

However they do employ this guy. He's a typical journeyman and has forgotten more about photography than i'll ever know. He's well known in the UK. Let me know what you think. www.joecornishgallery.co.uk/

Here are 2 more from the abbey, I've a lot to learn and looking forward to it.

p.s. anybody I haven' befriended yet please send an invite.
Cheers
Ned
Attachments:
12 years 4 weeks ago #215362 by John Landolfi

nedward50 wrote: Top replies one and all. Kelly,mj,rob,Dave,Charles,John, good on yer boys.

Yes exploration of all the points you have raised is sound advice. Normally for easy access sites, close to home I make more than 1 visit and take hundreds of shots, my trash can's full of them lol. With this site its a more difficult as its a 2 hour drive away and access times are restricted. It is a fabulous place.
Have a look www.fountainsabbey.org.uk/

It's owned by the National Trust. They have their own bank of pro shooters and a stock library they own large tracts of Britain. If you visit the fountains web site let me know your thoughts on their web images. Mediocre even for a greenhorn like me, let alone pro's.

However they do employ this guy. He's a typical journeyman and has forgotten more about photography than i'll ever know. He's well known in the UK. Let me know what you think. www.joecornishgallery.co.uk/

Here are 2 more from the abbey, I've a lot to learn and looking forward to it.

p.s. anybody I haven' befriended yet please send an invite.
Cheers
Ned

Nice feel to the second one. I'd straighten the horizontal, and tone down the brightnes in the vaults on the right.:thumbsup: :cheers:

Photo Comments

Latest Landscape Photography Tips

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024