Making suet

12 years 5 months ago #175556 by gjtoth
A practical joke that has been perpetrated on newbie birders for, it appears, for a long time, is this: It's cheaper to make suet for the birds than to buy it. In October, 2009, I had my first and LAST whack at it. Here's what I wrote then. Newbies! You have been forewarned!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Welp.... I'm having my first go at it and I gotta tell ya - it stinks! No... literally. It stinks! I've set off the smoke detectors once (so far) and, did I mention the smell? I have two pounds of this stuff, been at it for the better part of a half hour, my eyes are burning out from the smoke and I MIGHT have 2 cups worth of liquid. Did I mention the smell?

~~~~ Some time later (eternity, I think)

I'm done. Grease spatter burns on my arms, my eyes will never be quite the same - I just know it. My dog hates me. If we had any resident bugs in the house, they've made their exit gracefully. I managed to get enough liquid for 4 cakes -- that's 1/2 & 1/2 suet and seed. The house stinks and I'm burning scented candles but it doesn't seem to be helping. My wife is due home for lunch. She will NOT be a happy camper... might even blow breakfast as she walks through the already-open door. She might come in through one of the open windows. Not sure. In any event, all the open portals will be handy for me to make my escape.

Trust me -- 80 cents a cake is an absolute bargain for these things!

Excuse me. I have to scrape the grease that is splattered all over the stove and countertop.

~ Gary ~
The best camera is the one you have with you.
My gallery ===> toths.us/GJT
Feel free to comment & critique.

12 years 5 months ago #175558 by Baydream
:rofl: Good story.

Shoot, learn and share. It will make you a better photographer.
fineartamerica.com/profiles/john-g-schickler.html?tab=artwork

Photo Comments
12 years 5 months ago #175559 by photobod
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

www.dcimages.org.uk
"A good photograph is one that communicate a fact, touches the heart, leaves the viewer a changed person for having seen it. It is, in a word, effective." - Irving Penn

12 years 5 months ago #176167 by bhowdy
Funny story .... but it sounds more like you should be banned from the kitchen! :P

I make all of our suet without much fuss or muss. I usually pick a rainy day and make it a project. We find that our backyard feathered neighbors prefer the home made suet over the store bought type.

My suet recipe:
2 cups quick-cooking oats
2 cups cornmeal
1 cup flour
1/2 cup sugar
1 cup rendered fat or lard
1 cup crunchy peanut butter

Combine the oats, cornmeal, flour and sugar in a large bowl. Melt the lard and peanut butter (I use my microwave oven on low) Pour the melted (rendered) lard (fat) and peanut butter mixture in with the dry ingredients .....Mix well.

You can add other items as well .... like sunflower seeds, regular bird seed, raisins or any other "non-candied" dry fruit pieces.

I spoon the combined ingredients into sandwich size plastic storage containers, filling about 3/4 of the depth high. These fit perfectly in suet cages, which you can buy at Walmart, etc. Place these in your freezer and they will be ready when you need them.

I usually double this recipe when we make suet .... results in about six (6) cakes.

I have used cheap lard from the grocery store, beef fat, souse, meat / bacon drippings .... for the "fat" portion of this recipe. Each works well, but I prefer animal fat. I am able to get the fat from our local butcher for free! He even trims off all the meat pieces and leaves just the fat.

Bob Howdeshell

"If I could tell the story in words, I wouldn't need to lug around a camera" ~ Lewis Hine

12 years 5 months ago #176171 by Baydream

bhowdy wrote: Funny story .... but it sounds more like you should be banned from the kitchen! :P

I make all of our suet without much fuss or muss. I usually pick a rainy day and make it a project. We find that our backyard feathered neighbors prefer the home made suet over the store bought type.

My suet recipe:
2 cups quick-cooking oats
2 cups cornmeal
1 cup flour
1/2 cup sugar
1 cup rendered fat or lard
1 cup crunchy peanut butter

Combine the oats, cornmeal, flour and sugar in a large bowl. Melt the lard and peanut butter (I use my microwave oven on low) Pour the melted (rendered) lard (fat) and peanut butter mixture in with the dry ingredients .....Mix well.

You can add other items as well .... like sunflower seeds, regular bird seed, raisins or any other "non-candied" dry fruit pieces.

I spoon the combined ingredients into sandwich size plastic storage containers, filling about 3/4 of the depth high. These fit perfectly in suet cages, which you can buy at Walmart, etc. Place these in your freezer and they will be ready when you need them.

I usually double this recipe when we make suet .... results in about six (6) cakes.

I have used cheap lard from the grocery store, beef fat, souse, meat / bacon drippings .... for the "fat" portion of this recipe. Each works well, but I prefer animal fat. I am able to get the fat from our local butcher for free! He even trims off all the meat pieces and leaves just the fat.

Sounds like you found a better recipe. I'll be "stealing" this for my feeders. Thanks.

Photo Comments
12 years 5 months ago #176174 by bhowdy
Not stealing John .... I was sharing. My recipe is a variation of another that I "borrowed" from someone a couple of years ago. :lol:

Bob Howdeshell

"If I could tell the story in words, I wouldn't need to lug around a camera" ~ Lewis Hine

12 years 5 months ago #176345 by RogerS
I did my own suet cakes, but that was back when I was on the farm and could do it all over an open fire in the back 40.

12 years 5 months ago #176348 by Baydream

bhowdy wrote: Not stealing John .... I was sharing. My recipe is a variation of another that I "borrowed" from someone a couple of years ago. :lol:

Appreciate the info. Thanks.

Photo Comments
12 years 5 months ago #176627 by Shanna-Marie
lmao!! OMG, this is too funny! Thanks for the laugh ! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

I believe that there is an explanation for everything, so, yes, I believe in miracles. ~Robert Brault

www.flickr.com/photos/shanna-m/

12 years 5 months ago #176697 by gjtoth

Shanna-Marie wrote: lmao!! OMG, this is too funny! Thanks for the laugh ! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

You're welcome! :)

~ Gary ~
The best camera is the one you have with you.
My gallery ===> toths.us/GJT
Feel free to comment & critique.

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

With these simple yet effective beginner photography tips, you can avoid some of the common mistakes beginners make and get improved results with your images.

May 06, 2024

Urban photography is a genre showcasing features in urban settings. You can photograph people, architecture, mass transit, and many other subjects. Learn how to do so in this guide!

Apr 30, 2024

The Nikon D850 might be an older DSLR, but it was ahead of its time when it debuted in 2017. That means it still has plenty of firepower to compete with today’s powerful mirrorless cameras.

Apr 30, 2024

The best beginner camera isn’t the same for everyone. That means having choice is of the utmost importance. In this guide, explore five excellent beginner camera options for 2024 and beyond.

Apr 25, 2024

Child portrait photography is a unique undertaking requiring special skills and talents to get the best results. Start mastering this photography niche with these essential tips!

Apr 25, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024