Along came a spider

6 days 20 minutes ago - 6 days 17 minutes ago #696239 by usclassic
Still trying to get the hang of my new G5 X and these were shot in the shade. Maybe should have tried the fill flash on that last shot.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

6 days 8 minutes ago #696242 by Chris Briggs
Nice colors here.  Spiders always remind me of how creepy critters can get.  As much as I dislike spiders, I'm always intrigued with the colors and markings on some.  Good job here.  

Photo Comments
The following user(s) said Thank You: usclassic

5 days 22 hours ago #696265 by Alyssa Briggs
Beautiful, but scary! Nice colors. Is this poisonous? 

5 days 22 hours ago #696268 by Nikon Shooter
…or maybe just a small reflector — read a simple piece of paper.

How big is that monster, an inch perhaps?

Light is free… capturing it is not!
This person is a posting maniac and deserves a #1 badge!Top Poster
Photo Comments

5 days 20 hours ago #696276 by usclassic
I think it is called a banana spider.

5 days 20 hours ago - 5 days 14 hours ago #696279 by usclassic
From the underside it appears she has been wrapping eggs in a silk cocoon all day maybe why she paid no attention to me and my camera.

Attachments:

5 days 14 hours ago #696295 by usclassic

Alyssa Briggs wrote: Beautiful, but scary! Nice colors. Is this poisonous? 

Are banana spiders poisonous?Despite how threatening they may look, banana spiders are pretty shy. Like many spider species , they will only bite if they feel threatened. In most cases, a banana
spider bite will only produce slight redness and pain at the bite site,
less severe than a bee sting. Their venom is traditionally too mild to
significantly affect a healthy adult human. But in the case of a more
severe reaction, consult a medical professional immediately.

5 days 10 minutes ago #696333 by Shadowfixer1
It's not a banana spider. It's commonly called a writing spider. See attached.
  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Argiope_aurantia

4 days 20 hours ago #696405 by usclassic
The writing spider perhaps because of this pattern I found with it this morning.

Attachments:

4 days 17 hours ago #696416 by Shadowfixer1

usclassic wrote: The writing spider perhaps because of this pattern I found with it this morning.

Those patterns are why it's called a writing spider. When I was a pup, old folks used to say if you saw your name in the spider's writing you would be dead by days end.

• Facebook

802,251 / Likes

• Twitter

205,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

https://static.photocdn.pt/images/articles/2020/09/21/Pentax_K-1_Mark_II_Specs_2.jpg

Sep 21, 2020

The Canon 7D Mark II might be more than five years old, but for sports and wildlife photographers, it's still a great - and affordable - option.

Sep 15, 2020

The Canon PowerShot G5 X II is a high-end compact camera. The question is, is it the right camera for you? Find out in this Canon PowerShot G5 X II review.

Sep 09, 2020

This detailed Olympus OM-D E-M1X review will introduce you to the features, specs, pros, cons, and more of this high-powered sports and action photography camera.

Sep 07, 2020

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

To get better at photography, you need to learn how to improve your photos. And to do that, you need to practice essential photography skills. Here's some projects that will help you do just that.

Sep 21, 2020

https://static.photocdn.pt/images/articles/2020/09/21/Pentax_K-1_Mark_II_Specs_2.jpg

Sep 21, 2020

There are many benefits of curved monitors, not the least of which is reduced eye strain. But they also enhance your post-processing experience.

Sep 21, 2020

Learning how to get better at landscape photography is a matter of following a few simple rules. Get better results by following these easy techniques!

Sep 18, 2020

To get good audio for YouTube videos, you need to follow a few "rules of the road."

Sep 16, 2020

Lens filters are a crucial component of a landscape photography kit. But you can't just have them, you need to know how to use them too. Learn what lens filter mistakes to avoid in this tutorial.

Sep 16, 2020

Use these simple photography marketing tips to expand the footprint of your business and be more efficient in communicating with potential clients.

Sep 16, 2020

Our list of gifts for photographers under $50 will give you all the ideas you need to get your favorite photographer an awesome holiday gift this year.

Sep 15, 2020