Nikon D810 - Exploiting the Pro's and Con's

8 years 10 months ago #441739 by Jim Steyvoort
Hey peeps,

I'd like to get a discussion going on the Nikon D810.  The fact that I'm looking at the camera means I think it's a good camera.  What I would like to do is hear from the owners of this camera, the fans of this camera.  Bottom line, I want to hear the pro's and con's of owning this camera. 

Do you think the camera is lacking something?

Photo Comments
8 years 10 months ago #441740 by Jim Steyvoort
*Currently I'm a D600 owner. 

Photo Comments
8 years 10 months ago #441741 by Screamin Scott
Only nit I can think of is that the file size is huge.... Hope you have plenty of Hard Drive space.... (externals are cheap enough though)

Scott Ditzel Photography

www.flickr.com/photos/screaminscott/

Photo Comments
8 years 10 months ago #441758 by tganiats
I have a D800 (not 800E), and I almost got the D810.  Love the D800 but wish I didn't have the AA filter.  And the D810 is better.   A step up from the D600?  Yes.  Worth it?...depends on your use and budget

8 years 10 months ago #441761 by garyrhook
Pro: detail, detail, detail. 36MP is a lot of data.

Con: pathetic frame rate.

I considered a D800 or D810for a while, but as sson as the D750 was announced it shot right to the top of my GAS list.

Photo Comments
8 years 10 months ago #441780 by effron
I own the D800 and haven't thought for a minute of going with a D810. Frame rate is fine, it does fine burst for me and I shoot maximum sized files. File size means nothing as HDs are cheap, but I like this camera when I need to crop a shot of a small bird or insect for example. The AA filter also means zip as either way this is NOT a hand holder, especially at slower shutter speeds. Night shooting it works great, but where the camera shines is in landscapes. Simply amazing and I don't see where the D810 would improve on that. I would upgrade to a D810 from a D600 though, that's just me.....:unsure:

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
8 years 10 months ago #441799 by Vespista
Very timely discussion. Thankyou!
I'm a D700 owner and have been thinking about the 810.
I shoot mainly Food and Product but take my camera traveling too.
I'll be watching this thread with interest!

Photo Comments
8 years 10 months ago #441820 by tganiats
effron says

The AA filter also means zip as either way this is NOT a hand holder, especially at slower shutter speeds. 

I don't understand.  How does the AA filter relate to hand holding?  We're talking the purposeful lack of sharpness induced by the AA filter???   Thanks.

8 years 10 months ago #441831 by effron
AA filter or not, the tightly packed sensor in either D800 or D810 makes hand holding at low speeds tougher. The filter's absence will NOT make up for poor technique. Post sharpening is all that's required...

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
8 years 10 months ago #441848 by tganiats
effron says

AA filter or not, the tightly packed sensor in either D800 or D810 makes hand holding at low speeds tougher. The filter's absence will NOT make up for poor technique. Post sharpening is all that's required...

Yes.  I agree.   Good technique is needed with D800/810!

8 years 10 months ago #441850 by Screamin Scott
No matter what camera, good technique is crucial...

Scott Ditzel Photography

www.flickr.com/photos/screaminscott/

Photo Comments
8 years 10 months ago #442314 by Sawyer

Screamin Scott wrote: No matter what camera, good technique is crucial...

Isn't that the truth

Canon 5D Mark II | Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM | Canon 35L | Sigma 85 1.4 | Helios 44M-6 58mm(M42) | Zeiss 50mm 1.4 (C/Y) | Canon 135L | (2) 430EX II
Photo Comments
8 years 10 months ago #442321 by Scotty

The d800's res is so high combined with the camera's mirrors slap that if you want maximum sharpness and resolution, you want to weight it down on a tripod.

When the last candle has been blown out
and the last glass of champagne has been drunk
All that you are left with are the memories and the images-David Cooke.

Photo Comments
8 years 10 months ago #442503 by JaneK

Scotty wrote:

The d800's res is so high combined with the camera's mirrors slap that if you want maximum sharpness and resolution, you want to weight it down on a tripod.

Not to ask a dumb question, but are you talking about with actual weights? 

Photo Comments
8 years 10 months ago #442557 by garyrhook

JaneK wrote:

Scotty wrote:

Not to ask a dumb question, but are you talking about with actual weights? 

Yes, he is.

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024