So do you think the DSLR market is getting top heavy?

12 years 9 months ago #109921 by Casey T
I just had a interesting talk with a friend yesterday about how the industry has picked up during the last few years. Many soccer moms, mid life crisis or impulsive dads or just it's a cool gadget to have people are picking up affordable priced DSLR's. Now these people are not professional photographers and would be more categorized as the holiday shooter. Most point & shoot people have upgraded to a DSLR's and don't know what these camera's are for :rofl: .

So to phrase it another way, just like the real estate market is a bubble at times, do you think the DSLR industry could be a bubble?

My Passion is being behind my camera and my family.
Photo Comments
12 years 9 months ago #109928 by Baydream
No, but it could foretell a big supply of DSLRs on eBay. :thumbsup:

Shoot, learn and share. It will make you a better photographer.
fineartamerica.com/profiles/john-g-schickler.html?tab=artwork

Photo Comments
12 years 9 months ago #109932 by Rob pix4u2
Status symbol or not I think the convenience of digital has taken hold and most of the advertising by Canon and Nikon has piqued the interests of the general public. Ashtons DSLR does movies and Canon talks incessantly about moving pictures into the future so no one wants to be left behind.

Remember to engage brain before putting mouth in gear
Rob Huelsman Sr.
My Facebook www.facebook.com/ImaginACTIONPhotography

12 years 9 months ago #109934 by GAR 56
Yes I do feel more people are buying a DSLR, mainly because they can...and they think they can take better pictures with it.

12 years 9 months ago #109937 by Baydream

GAR 56 wrote: Yes I do feel more people are buying a DSLR, mainly because they can...and they think they can take better pictures with it.

It still won't be a "bubble". People will continue to buy them. As new models with more features are introduced, folks will be buying them.

Shoot, learn and share. It will make you a better photographer.
fineartamerica.com/profiles/john-g-schickler.html?tab=artwork

Photo Comments
12 years 9 months ago #109943 by Henry Peach
Almost every adult in my family owned a 35mm SLR, yet besides me there were only a few actually interested in photography.

When I worked in a camera store 15 years ago there were always a bunch of people that might have been "soccer moms, mid life crisis or impulsive dads" who liked to hang out in the store with their F5's and Leicas around their necks talking about fancy new gear, but I never saw a photo from them that looked like they were even trying.

Compact digital cameras clearly have a few easy to understand weaknesses when compared to DSLRs. In particular shutter lag and poor high ISO quality. Most people are taking pics of their kids or grandkids running around in low light, birhday parties, etc... It makes sense that they would find no shutter lag and decent high ISO quality useful features.

It was easy to use roll film and drop off processing that made it so anyone could be a photographer, and that bubble started blowing 123 years ago.
12 years 9 months ago #109950 by jeffie5687

GAR 56 wrote: Yes I do feel more people are buying a DSLR, mainly because they can...and they think they can take better pictures with it.

Well Just like me, I feel as if my point and shoot isn't working for me, so I'm thinking of upgrading to a DSLR, but in reality I may not need one.

12 years 9 months ago #109958 by Rob pix4u2
As was said the downside of the P & S cameras lends the consumer to upgrade to a DSLR for the convenience of knowing that they will get the shot in the backyard or of the birthday celebration. Also the " I want to impress you with my camera " crowd has to have the latest and greatest even if they aren't capable of nailing that game winning touchdown at the high school game on Friday night.

Rob Huelsman Sr.

12 years 9 months ago - 12 years 9 months ago #109960 by Henry Peach
People buy expensive stuff they may not need all the time. Why would it be any different for cameras as cars, cell phones, computers, houses, clothing, bikes, etc...?

Isn't this thread really about who's a "real photographer", and who's just masquerading as one? :) Unfortunately I think these guys just showed us how difficult photography really is. I bet they didn't even "chimp"! :lol:
12 years 9 months ago - 12 years 9 months ago #110127 by MLKstudios
Excellent point HP (and funny too).

Before AE and AF you had to know something about f/stops and focus to use a high end camera. Now they AF fast (and accurately) and exposures are decent even in Green mode. Any monkey can do it. See the TV episode of Just Shoot Me where the monkey took the photographer's award winning photo.

There are two approaches to photography now. One is to remove the technology from the equation, and make it a total visual art. In other words, let the camera decide the settings and etc. and the photographer concentrate on the moment captured. It works.

There is also the "old school" approach of learning reciprocity, focus, DoF, and etc. that puts you in complete control of the image created. It's what I teach and MWACs (Moms With A Camera) have been very good for my business. I hope they buy a camera and look at the manual as written in Greek. I teach Greek.

Which method is better doesn't have an answer when it comes to results. The total amateur with a high end AF, AE camera can take some fantastic shots. But he or she may not always be consistent. Also they won't know how to be as creative with their camera, as it is making all the decisions for them.

If you plan on making a living and calling yourself a "pro", I hope you also want learn to speak Greek.

But, I'm just old school.

Matthew :)

Matthew L Kees
MLK Studios Photography School
www.MLKstudios.com
[email protected]
"Every artist, was once an amateur"

12 years 9 months ago #110419 by Rob pix4u2
Matthew that comes from the film days when you had choices and you had to make them based on knowledge rather than a TV commercial with Ashton Kutcher

Rob Huelsman Sr.

12 years 9 months ago #110420 by Stealthy Ninja
I'd personally call it "bottom heavy".

Funny thing happened the other day. I was at my son's last day in kindergarten (kindergarten lasts 3 years here) and they had a party. I have my little Sony video camera and my wife had her Canon S95)

My sony handycam looks a bit like this (not sure on the model):

Canon looks like this:

Around me there were about 20 people with this 7D/A850/D300/600D/60D etc. etc. mostly with kit lenses or something like Tokina etc.

LOL I didn't care, i just wanted to capture the moment and enjoy a cupcake or 2.

Sure I could have used these (which I own):

But that would have been showing off. ;)
12 years 9 months ago #110426 by Rob pix4u2
Adrian that's just called using the right tool for the job

Rob Huelsman Sr.

12 years 9 months ago - 12 years 9 months ago #110429 by Stealthy Ninja

Rob pix4u2 wrote: Adrian that's just called using the right tool for the job

:cheers:

Tell that to the experts pros people with cameras at that school function. :p
12 years 9 months ago #110433 by KCook

So to phrase it another way, just like the real estate market is a bubble at times, do you think the DSLR industry could be a bubble?

A bubble qualifies as a "bubble" only so long as it's followed by a collapse. And I can't think of anything that will collapse the DSLR market. Now whether the share for certain brands might collapse is a different topic . . .

Kelly Cook

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The best beginner camera isn’t the same for everyone. That means having choice is of the utmost importance. In this guide, explore five excellent beginner camera options for 2024 and beyond.

Apr 25, 2024

Child portrait photography is a unique undertaking requiring special skills and talents to get the best results. Start mastering this photography niche with these essential tips!

Apr 25, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024