Directory of photo contest?

12 years 9 months ago #116449 by Number 7
Yeah I'm fishing for ways to make money! Might as well dump all my questions today.

Is there a directory or site of some sort that list all the photo contest that are going on at a given point? My work hours are getting lean and I need to find a way to supplement my income using my camera.

So contest can't hurt to enter.

Photo Comments
12 years 9 months ago #116558 by DestinDave
thephotocontest.info/ is one of several sites that maintain a listing of open contests..

It's been my experience that contests are a Great way to Spend money!
Most charge an entry fee..
Group- or Club-sanctioned events charge one rate for members, a higher rate for non-members..
Many are for 2D flatwork, framed and ready to hang (added cost).. and figure in shipping..

That said, I've entered some, even won some ribbons, but no money..
Not trying to shoot you down, just my personal experience.. Another option would be to find some local galleries, shops, boutiques, bistros, etc where you can display your works for sale.. Many will charge a commission so adjust your prices up to cover your desired return after their cut..

And, Good luck! :thumbsup:

Dave Speicher
I thought I wanted a career.. turns out I only wanted paychecks.
dlspeicher.zenfolio.com

12 years 9 months ago #116562 by Shanna-Marie
Thanks for posting this and for your response Dave, cause I've been thinking the same thing. Guess I'll scratch "that" idea.

I believe that there is an explanation for everything, so, yes, I believe in miracles. ~Robert Brault

www.flickr.com/photos/shanna-m/

12 years 9 months ago #116566 by Baydream
There are contests run by major manufacturers and photography magazines but the prizes are merchandise and the competition is fierce.

I entered a County Fair where the cost of entry was $2 (+ the price of printing and mounting) and first place was $4 and second $2. Do the math :(

Shoot, learn and share. It will make you a better photographer.
fineartamerica.com/profiles/john-g-schickler.html?tab=artwork

Photo Comments
12 years 9 months ago #116574 by Baydream
Better to apply to be an assistant at a studio (perhaps even in a Sears, Wal-mart. etc. Work part-time if needed.

Photo Comments
12 years 9 months ago #116579 by crystal
Any good photo contest where you may win $, will cost you an entry fee. So unless you know there is a really good chance of winning, why would you pay to enter, when you are trying to earn money?

I have no problem with paying an entry fee, if the photographer just wants to enter....but you seem to think you can earn money from your photographs. It's something you really want to do, because your job isn't giving you the money you need. Well I can tell you this, you will earn more $ from that job in a month compare to selling photos and winning contests in a year.
12 years 9 months ago #116587 by Henry Peach
Make sure you read the fine print. There are plenty of contests out there that require you to sign away rights to the photos entered.
12 years 9 months ago #116658 by Number 7
Thanks for the link and information

Photo Comments
12 years 9 months ago #116660 by Baydream

Henry Peach wrote: Make sure you read the fine print. There are plenty of contests out there that require you to sign away rights to the photos entered.

:agree:

Photo Comments
12 years 9 months ago - 12 years 9 months ago #116661 by Baydream

Henry Peach wrote: Make sure you read the fine print. There are plenty of contests out there that require you to sign away rights to the photos entered.

Photo Comments
12 years 9 months ago #116665 by The Time Capturer

Baydream wrote:

:agree: That stops me dead in my tracks every time!

Sure, practice makes perfect but, unless you learn from your mistakes, you are only perfecting your ability to fail.
12 years 9 months ago #116687 by Number 7

Baydream wrote:

Was that purposely quoted twice? If so, message received loud and clear. Thanks again

Photo Comments
12 years 9 months ago #116709 by steveheap
You could try getting into stock photography. If you have the time and the enthusiasm, you can make some money that way. Not enough to retire on, but at least it should pay for the equipment. My blog gives you some pointers about how to get going.

Steve

My Stock Photo Blog
www.backyardsilver.com

12 years 9 months ago - 12 years 9 months ago #116855 by The Time Capturer
It seems like the post was quoted twice. I was quoting Baydream's "I agree" that was quoting Henry's post. Although the fineprint warning is important, I wasn't trying to emphasize it by double quoting ... sorry.

I haven't read Steve's blog about stock images yet, but I plan to. I have several stock images that are selling but I'm really not making much money from them ... certainly not enough to pay for my equipment. Like I said, I haven't read his blog yet so he may mention something about what I suspect now: research and choose the right stock image agency, as some pay more than others.

Also be aware that they have minimum megapixel requirements, 6-12, depending on the website and, any logos or trademarks that appear in the images have to be edited out.

Don't let me turn you away from it though because it can be a good thing. All you have to do is get your images accepted. They do all the work of selling and licensing for you, then credit your account ... can't get easier than that. Also, any money is better than no money...

Here's an example of a logo that needed to be removed:

Original (with Bulldog logo)

Without logo

... and they accept edited images as well ...

Sure, practice makes perfect but, unless you learn from your mistakes, you are only perfecting your ability to fail.
Attachments:
12 years 9 months ago #116859 by Maria21

Baydream wrote: Better to apply to be an assistant at a studio (perhaps even in a Sears, Wal-mart. etc. Work part-time if needed.

CPI the company that owns the studios in both Sears & Walmart have you sign a contract when you get hired saying that you will not work for or as a competitive photographer while in their employ. They also state that any pose you use at their studio is then copyrighted to them. I would consider getting a Photographer's Market book & begin submitting photos to publications for work or selling some to stock sites before working for a company like CPI.

Zerfing's Photographic Imaging

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Panasonic G9 II is a 25.2-megapixel micro four thirds camera with numerous features that make it punch out of its weight class, like 779 AF points, 5.8K video, and weather sealing.

May 10, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Panasonic G9 II is a 25.2-megapixel micro four thirds camera with numerous features that make it punch out of its weight class, like 779 AF points, 5.8K video, and weather sealing.

May 10, 2024

Cinematic photography is an interesting genre that combines photographic and videographic skills along with effective storytelling techniques. The result? Highly impactful images!

May 09, 2024

Newborn photography requires skill, the right gear, and a lot of patience. This beginner’s guide discusses critical topics that will help you be more prepared for before, during, and after the shoot.

May 08, 2024

To fill the frame means to expand the footprint of the subject in your shot. Get in close, zoom in, crop the image, or use other techniques to bring the subject to the forefront.

May 06, 2024

With these simple yet effective beginner photography tips, you can avoid some of the common mistakes beginners make and get improved results with your images.

May 06, 2024

Urban photography is a genre showcasing features in urban settings. You can photograph people, architecture, mass transit, and many other subjects. Learn how to do so in this guide!

Apr 30, 2024

The Nikon D850 might be an older DSLR, but it was ahead of its time when it debuted in 2017. That means it still has plenty of firepower to compete with today’s powerful mirrorless cameras.

Apr 30, 2024

The best beginner camera isn’t the same for everyone. That means having choice is of the utmost importance. In this guide, explore five excellent beginner camera options for 2024 and beyond.

Apr 25, 2024