Organizing photos by date

12 years 9 months ago #120703 by Mavagoose457
When you organize your photos by date (renaming the folders or the picture itself) how do you write out the date? (month/day/year, year/ month/ day?

12 years 9 months ago #120708 by Henry Peach
For today's date I use 080311.
12 years 9 months ago #120749 by Ephoto
I don't use a date. I organize everything by the subject of the images.

12 years 9 months ago #120767 by steveheap
I'm a date man, myself. In Lightroom I have a top level folder for the year - ie 2011, then in that folder I put a folder for each month. I use the format "2011 a January", "2011 b February" which keeps all the months in the right order. I know I could use a numeric format, but somehow I like the look of the old words!

I rarely put folders inside the month, but I have started giving imported photos a custom name and index number - ie macro_coin_1 etc., which helps me see what files are when I am simply looking at their names.

I can usually remember approximately when I took a particular picture and so the date order helps me find them reasonably quickly.

My final step (as I create pictures for stock sites) is that I do the keywording and title/description of the ones I am going to sell in Lightroom as well before I export them as JPEGs, and so I always have the option of searching for a likely keyword and that will get me to the right folder.

Steve

My Stock Photo Blog
www.backyardsilver.com

12 years 9 months ago #120831 by cod
I use YYYYMMDD, so today's date is 20110803. That way the computer will always order things correctly by date. Following a system I learned from a book on digital asset management for phtographers I create a folder for each shoot named with my initials, the date and the subject or location, e.g. cod_20110803_zoo. I name the image files within the folder in the same way, adding a unique ID number to each. Not the most colourful of names, I know, but any computer file management system will keep the files aroganized by the date they were taken, which I find useful. I used to name my files with more descriptibe names, e.g. monarch.jpg, but that quickly became difficult to manage as the number of images in my collection grew.

Chris O'Donoghue
Winnipeg, Canada
codonoghue.prosite.com

12 years 9 months ago - 12 years 9 months ago #120874 by The Time Capturer
Folders: 2011 XSi 00724 aug03

-"2011" is the year
-"XSi" is the camera used
-"00724" is the shoot number
-"aug03" is the date of the shoot

-"004636" is my ID number (google it and you'll find my pix anywhere on the web)
-"312" is the image type (in this case, an image capture)
-"00724" is the shoot number
-"0215" is the image number in the shoot

Sure, practice makes perfect but, unless you learn from your mistakes, you are only perfecting your ability to fail.
12 years 9 months ago #120969 by Baydream

steveheap wrote: I'm a date man, myself. In Lightroom I have a top level folder for the year - ie 2011, then in that folder I put a folder for each month. I use the format "2011 a January", "2011 b February" which keeps all the months in the right order. I know I could use a numeric format, but somehow I like the look of the old words!

I rarely put folders inside the month, but I have started giving imported photos a custom name and index number - ie macro_coin_1 etc., which helps me see what files are when I am simply looking at their names.

I can usually remember approximately when I took a particular picture and so the date order helps me find them reasonably quickly.

My final step (as I create pictures for stock sites) is that I do the keywording and title/description of the ones I am going to sell in Lightroom as well before I export them as JPEGs, and so I always have the option of searching for a likely keyword and that will get me to the right folder.

Steve

To show how short my memory is, I was reading today and saw someone mention the same date labeling scheme. All of a sudden it came to me. I was reading your book. Duh! :toocrazy:

Shoot, learn and share. It will make you a better photographer.
fineartamerica.com/profiles/john-g-schickler.html?tab=artwork

Photo Comments
12 years 9 months ago #120971 by steveheap
Well, if it is in print, then it must be right!

Steve

My Stock Photo Blog
www.backyardsilver.com

12 years 9 months ago #121082 by Jamie
Good question...everyone needs a system...and since taking 1000 photos doesn't cost more than 10 photos, organization is definitely helpful!

Here's my system, starting with the main folder:

Photos >> 2011 >> 2011 - 08 - August >>

The main year folder divides images by year, so that's easy to find. Inside each year, I have the year - numeral month - written month... I do this because when you sort the folders, they will sort in the correct monthly order. Obviously, alphabetically, the months are out of order, and if you only put 1 as opposed to 01, then 1 will be followed by 11 and 12, again out of order. So the layout above keeps things straight. I also repeat the year in the sub-folders in case I do a search, I can easily see the year. Finally, I spell the month out so it's easy to see.

Inside the main monthly folders, I either sort by date taken without renaming, or divide into folders based on the event....such as Easter, etc.

Hopefully this wasn't too confusing!

PhotographyTalk Users enjoy 15% OFF at www.photobacks.com !
Use: PHT843 at checkout!

12 years 9 months ago #121112 by steveheap
That is pretty close to my approach - great minds think alike! The only difference is that I use a, b, c etc in front of the month and you use 01, 02, 03

Steve

My Stock Photo Blog
www.backyardsilver.com

12 years 9 months ago #121131 by Jamie
Right, Steve, exactly! Just reread your post and noticed the similarities. Funny how I like to see the written month as well. When I see this: 120409 or 081598 ...it just doesn't process. I think the organization should be as easy to follow as possible, quite simply so when I look for a photo, I don't have to think, which ultimately speeds up the workflow. And, isn't that what life's all about, speeding up the workflow?! :)

PhotographyTalk Users enjoy 15% OFF at www.photobacks.com !
Use: PHT843 at checkout!

12 years 9 months ago #121161 by Maria21
Mine is quite a bit like Jamie & Steve's. I use a main folder for each year then subfolders for month. I number them as Jamie does in that Jan is 01 & so forth, but I also add another subfolder by the day. If I have more than one event or session in a day I us a separate folder for each one with the name of the subject matter. I know tons of folders but well organized. My folders would look like this...

-2011 = (Yearly folder)
-01 Jan=(monthly folder)
-01.01 =(Jan 01 folder)
--Jones (event folder)
--Smith (event folder)
-01.02 (Jan 02 folder)
-01.03 (Jan 03 folder)

I use periods to separate the month & day in my labels because it's so much easier to see the separation of the month from the day.

Zerfing's Photographic Imaging

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Panasonic G9 II is a 25.2-megapixel micro four thirds camera with numerous features that make it punch out of its weight class, like 779 AF points, 5.8K video, and weather sealing.

May 10, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Starting a photography business is one thing; sustaining your business over a long period of time is another. Use the tips in this professional photography guide to build something with longevity!

May 13, 2024

The Panasonic G9 II is a 25.2-megapixel micro four thirds camera with numerous features that make it punch out of its weight class, like 779 AF points, 5.8K video, and weather sealing.

May 10, 2024

Cinematic photography is an interesting genre that combines photographic and videographic skills along with effective storytelling techniques. The result? Highly impactful images!

May 09, 2024

Newborn photography requires skill, the right gear, and a lot of patience. This beginner’s guide discusses critical topics that will help you be more prepared for before, during, and after the shoot.

May 08, 2024

To fill the frame means to expand the footprint of the subject in your shot. Get in close, zoom in, crop the image, or use other techniques to bring the subject to the forefront.

May 06, 2024

With these simple yet effective beginner photography tips, you can avoid some of the common mistakes beginners make and get improved results with your images.

May 06, 2024

Urban photography is a genre showcasing features in urban settings. You can photograph people, architecture, mass transit, and many other subjects. Learn how to do so in this guide!

Apr 30, 2024

The Nikon D850 might be an older DSLR, but it was ahead of its time when it debuted in 2017. That means it still has plenty of firepower to compete with today’s powerful mirrorless cameras.

Apr 30, 2024